• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Terrible Deadlift form

Flash

Hi guys,

Im having real trouble with my deadlifts. I dont really lift heavy - maybe about 50kg plus the bar. I have always been terribly inflexible. I cant touch my toes - i have been stretching and working on it, and so far in 2 months ive come from reaching just past my knee to about 1cm off toes so there is progress.

Anyway due to this i think, i have real trouble keeping my back perfectly straight and tend to 'hunch' a little bit at the bottom of the lift. I generally correct once im up but a PT at the gym keeps telling me its wrong without helping me on how to correct. My first few reps in a set are fine, but its the last few (especially in the last set) where i seem to go to poo.

Ive tried with lower weight and i can get it right, but it is a very low weight for me and i dont feel it at all. I dont want to seem impatient, as i did start with just lifting the bar and have worked up to the level im at.

So after all that text - i wanted to ask if anyone has any tips for keeping the back straight? i have very long femurs and was wondering if anyone else has had trouble with this and has any pointers? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Someone isn't built well to deadlift.

You can substitute romanian deadlifts or stiff Legged deadlifts and other variants until you get there. Also working from blocks and slowly lowering the height might work for you.

Chicken legs and a barrel chest runs in the family. Doing my best to even things out haha.

Blocks - best idea, i have no idea how i didnt think of that. Ill give it a whack next time - thanks!!

It is all about lever length. Long arms and shorter legs allow a better starting position.

Get a video up mate.

+1

Some of the more experienced lifters like Sticky, El Freako, and countless others will be able to give you pointers on where your lift is suffering.

Throw up a vid - since you're trying to get advice, no one will flame on your for shitty form; you already know that it's a problem and are trying to fix it.

Make sure the view is unobstructed, as close to perpendicular to you as possible, and as high-res as possible. You can upload to you-tube as an unlisted vid, which means only we will see it when you give us a link - so the internet warriors outside this forum won't be able to flame on you either

Good luck, and happy lifting

Rian

+1 for the video
I'd do romanian deadlifts as your lower to the point that your lower back begins rounding only. This will stretch your shit out considerably and if you can RDL to the floor then you'll have plenty of flexibility for the deadlift

Well what do you expect, all that time running around at supersonic speeds, no wonder your strength and flexibility has taken a dive.

Good to see your branching out from being a "one attribute superhero" and working on your strength a bit.

That is the daughter of Paul Carter, the author of Lift-run-bang
She is 11 or 12 years old

That guy in the Mentzer looked DAMN good... but it must have been a hell of a back workout, if he was struggling that much with 140kg.

Does anyone know who 'Marcus' is?