• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Testing new equipment

PTC

We are currently testing new equipment at PTC.

I have 2 bars from Gym Direct (site sponsor) and an incline bench.

I will be honest and brutal, just as Adrian will want me too.

First the bench.

If you are after an incline bench, I have never seen or used a better one. That is flat out the truth. As an incline bench, it is flawless. Solid, perfect height, simple adjustment.

It does have failings. If you plan to use it as a flat bench, its got issues. The main one is, its far too high. This is purely because of the mechanisms that make it best incline bench I have used. When the back is up at 80 degrees, the seat drops low. If the start point was lower, the seat would be far too low.

So in making the perfect incline bench, there had to be compromises as a flat bench. Another issue for some may be the width. As an incline bench, its perfect, as a flat bench, it tapers down to under 200mm, perfect for a seat on an incline, too narrow for a flat bench.

This bench is that good, that I would get this AND a flat bench. Its that good. If your on a budget, I wanted to give guys a heads up that unless your VERY tall, the bench is too high to use as a flat bench.

I have to be honest.

So far we have used the bars for around 10 hours. We have pulled around 20 x 200kg deadlifts with them, going up to 235kg. No grip issues, bars are still straight. With squats we have gone up to 180kg, no issues.

We have used steel Ivanko plates as well as bumpers. We have cleaned with them, pressed them out of racks. We'll keep pushing them and I'll report on their strength and integrity.

The finish is excellent. One down side is the "rings". A powerbar has ring markings 250mm from the sleeve, an Olympic bar 200mm. These are at 230mm. Not a big issue with some, just thought I should point everything out.

The sleeves are chrome, and this will eventually flake, we are seeing the start of this. Its a non issue, but I will point everything out. If you think the flaking is a problem, my $1100 ZK bar is rusting. It adds character.

Adrian sells these bars for $200 I think. We'll punish them for the next month and I'll report back here. The bars are rated at 600kg, though I'm not sure what this means.

If you have any questions or there is a test you would like me to do, please ask.

Either 250mm or 300mm for bigger guys.

The height is of more concern, around 42cm is the highest I like to see.

Damn, i guess i gotta change my order back to the normal flat bench instead of this incline bench.

Thanks for the heads up.

Your not real tall Huey, your feet may not touch the ground when the bench is laid flat.

I should elaborate a little on the height here.

My flat benches are 42cm high.

I have another incline bench thats 41cm high. This doesnt change when you incline the back, unless you also incline the front. The front is 300mm wide, its horrible, so we never elevate the front. Its a poor incline bench, but a good flat bench.

The Gym Direct incline bench is a gem. When you set the back at 80 degrees, which is near enough straight up, the seat drops to 40cm. When you lay the whole bench flat though, it raises itself up to 50cm. That may be okay if your 6'6".

There is no fault in the bench, its a perfect incline, like I've said before, the best I've ever used.

The fault is in someone trying to use it for something its not really intended for, a flat bench.

I would seriously buy both, a flat bench and this incline bench.

Damn, i guess i gotta change my order back to the normal flat bench instead of this incline bench.

Thanks for the heads up.

Im glad i changed my order back to just the flat bench as this is what i mainly do at the moment.

Nice to hear good feedback about the incline though, as it could be a possible addition down the track when money and room permits :)

No probs fellas, getting the right equipment from a supplier therefore guaranteeing satisfaction should be the number one priority.

The bars are holding up well, even after our comp, they appear to be a pretty good bar, regardless of the price.

They'll get another 5 hours today.

Echo what PTC said about flat benches.

I've recently had to start training at home and I'm having dramas with my incline/decline bench used as a flat bench. Great FID bench, but crap for flat bench, feet get in the way and about 10-15cm too high for my liking. It's just a complete pain in the ass all round.

I'd recommend anyone considering a flat bench takes into account the height and whether the feet of the bench will get in the way. This is particularly important if you use an arch and need to get your feet under, as I do (use a heeled shoe too to get the feet under even more).

Give thought to a bench that has a single support leg at the foot end.

I also think it's worthwhile getting a bench with as dense foam as possible. You will lose upper back tightness, balance and drive with cushier benches.

FWIW IPF spec benches are 42-45cm high (to the top of the pad), 29-32cm wide and no more than 122cm long. Pretty sure other feds would use something similar and the comp equipment manufacturers will be making them all to that spec or thereabouts. I've been looking around and I don't think there aren't many commercial benches that fit that criteria, but if you are thinking of competing, I'd definitely recommend finding a bench as close of possible to those dimensions.

PS/off topic...If anyone can recommend a good flat bench that fits the criteria above, I'd appreciate any tips. I've been looking around and had my eye on a couple, but the ones with a single leg at the foot end are generally too high or the right height, but not wide enough.

I have an incline bench thats 41cm high, 30cm wide.

It has too much junk underneath though, and its only so-so as an incline bench, not a patch on the Gym Direct one.

Ok, here's a question inspired from strong enough?'s post.

What, if any equipment would you like to see on the market which isn't commonly available?
Noted that a good, strong flat bench, to the desired dimensions/specifications are not common, we may look into this.

Anything else?

I reckon there is a shortage of good bench presses.

I rate mine as ordinary. I got it many years ago. There are many things I would change on it.

Its strong enough, with a couple of 190kg benchers being performed on it, its durable having lasted 4 years, but I dislike the uprights and bench width. I'd also like it 1cm lower.

So my vote goes for a quality bench press.

I should mention, before I forget.

Armando was back today from a holiday. He is the Olympic lifter who won medals for Australia overseas.

He used the new GD bars I have. He was blown away by the quality. I then told him the price. He was very impressed. This guy has used Elieko bars his whole life, not easy to impress.

One things for sure, he's going to give them a descent workout, dumping them from cleans, jerks and snatches.

I agree with the bench press.
Mine is the widest my local shop had, and the rings on the bars sit just IN the up rights, I cant get wide enough. Come to think of it, I wish my cage was 2'' wider also.

I should mention, before I forget.

Armando was back today from a holiday. He is the Olympic lifter who won medals for Australia overseas.

He used the new GD bars I have. He was blown away by the quality. I then told him the price. He was very impressed. This guy has used Elieko bars his whole life, not easy to impress.

One things for sure, he's going to give them a descent workout, dumping them from cleans, jerks and snatches.

Sounds good so far.
Just keep an eye on the little split pin which holds the end caps on.
I lent a 300kg version to Peter at SS&S until the 600kg bar came in.
When he brought it back, I noticed that the split pin had almost come out.
Maybe best to put some loktite on the pin if it ever comes loose before knocking it back in.
They probably could have used a grub screw or small bolt with small head on it instead.

Thanks Adrian.

Scott, please measure your rings from the sleeve.

If they are 200mm from the sleeve, it is an Olympic bar.

Most racks and benches have the correct width spacing, I meant the actual bench you lay on. Most are 250mm, I like 300mm

From the sleeve, to the START of the ring, its 245mm. China bar.
When the bar is evenly racked, the rings touch the uprights.

You could bench with your pinkys touching the ring, but I bench with my pointers on the rings. I can do this in the cage....

....just.

Cal gym bench is pretty good, nive and wide between teh uprights, infact my ABC bar was made special because it is that wide, my bar has an extra 10cm between collars, so 250mm from rings to collars, the stays sit on the last 5cm of the outer knurling

bench is about 250mm wide, and is about 40cm high

Synergy 2 - Racks And Benches#

pity they are so fn expensive

Last edited: