• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The 0ni diet

0ni

Registered Rustler
Thought I'd fully document my diet principles for you guys. I have things pretty fine tuned now and have a good client base to test things out with so I am very confident that this method works well for the vast majority of people.

General principles
Carbs are fairly low, protein on the higher end with moderate fats.
For example, a 80kg guy that needs 3000kcal would eat something like 180/250/140 carbs/protein/fat

To build the diet, carbs are picked at 1-3g/kg depending on activity level. Unless you do cardio, you WILL fall on the lower end of this spectrum. 1g/kg is good for off days and 2-2.5g/lb on training days for most people. The function of carbs is to provide energy when training and to refill glycogen. That is it. Other than that it just provides calories and increases your insulin resistance. Carbs are scheduled around the training window as well, with about 30-50g 60-90 minutes before you train and the rest of them after you train with a few just spread around a little to stop being so boring. But most of them should be around that training window.

After you have your carbs set, you need to know how many calories you need. Trial and error is best here and obviously depends on goals. Find how many calories you get from carbs and you need to make the rest up from fats/protein.
I treat this as a calorie buffer. It does not matter how you split this between protein / fat as long as protein is at least 2g/kg
I tend to go on the higher protein side though as lots of fat bloats me pretty bad and I seem to be more energetic when I eat mostly protein rather than fats and of course you get to eat more.

Fats- I put most of these as far away from the training window as possible. I find best results with only having insulin levels raised for a short amount of time. The body composition effects from this are minimal but noticeable but the main benefit is insulin sensitivity which gives better health, better long term gains and better pumps in the gym. Protein is spread out kinda evenly.

I also toggle the timing of the carbs sometimes. This is great for if you hit a plateau. If I need to switch things up I go to a carbless post workout and eat most of my carbs as far away from training as possible. For example I might be lifting at 6pm so at 9pm the previous night I'll eat some pumpkin and then wake up in the morning and have some oats then a high fat lunch for calories. In this event I keep the post workout macros protein only for at least 5 hours (or overnight) and eat higher fat leading up to the workout

Example 1:
Breakfast: Eggs, bacon, almonds (high fat)
Snack: Peanuts
Lunch: Kangaroo
Snack: Banana
TRAINING
Dinner: Kangaroo, butternut pumpkin

Example 2 (carbless PWO):
Breakfast: Oats
Lunch: Beef - 10% fat or less, little bit of potato
Snack: Mushrooms
TRAINING
Dinner: Kangaroo, veg, protein shake
Following AM (rest day, following day is a training day): Almonds, steak
Lunch: Chicken thighs, bacon, ricotta cheese
Dinner: Kangaroo, white rice

How sophisticated, no chicken wings in sight. Not even once.

One question though, how did you trial and error your calorific intake? That is a hard one surely, as your activity levels differ from day to day so it's hard to simply guess how much you need when the goal posts are moving.

Also, unless I read wrong you seem to have placed carbs as the highest priority. "Find how many calories you get from carbs and you need to make the rest up from fats/protein". Why you do this? Is it because it just works for you. I thought protein comes first, followed by carbs, then make up the rest in fat.

How sophisticated, no chicken wings in sight. Not even once.

One question though, how did you trial and error your calorific intake? That is a hard one surely, as your activity levels differ from day to day so it's hard to simply guess how much you need when the goal posts are moving.

Also, unless I read wrong you seem to have placed carbs as the highest priority. "Find how many calories you get from carbs and you need to make the rest up from fats/protein". Why you do this? Is it because it just works for you. I thought protein comes first, followed by carbs, then make up the rest in fat.

It's kinda easy really, I don't count calories I just go by hunger level and the mirror/scale
If weight shoots up very fast randomly, I eat less sodium and switch from red meat to white meat.
If my weight is climbing too high and I can see that I am actually getting fatter (weight increased 2 weeks in a row instead of just a random jump) then I just eat less, normally I remove the snacks and that is a 500-600kcal removal of calories right there (peanuts are calorie bombs!)

A weightlifting workout burns not much at all. I would not worry about calorie levels unless you do cardio. 10 minutes of time under tension is like 400kcal MAX. 10 minutes of TUT in lifting is a very high volume. Of course 10 minutes of cardio is not much though

Carbs are not the highest priority so to speak, it's just easiest to "reverse engineer" the diet this way. You know how many carbs you burn roughly and you need a little bit for workout intensity but not much. Protein is easy to hit! I would not worry about protein just get the rest of your calories from nuts or animals and you'll hit the protein just fine. Just fill out the calories and adjust things little by little until you find what gives you the most energy and satiation.

I don't count calories

i like this.

Yeah I think counting is a good place to start
But I can eat 100g of peanuts a day and not gain a single pound
If I added the same 500kcal from eating some sort of baked goods or cheap servo pie I would get fat

So I just add / remove grams of food, rather than units of energy

Yes I like the idea of working with grams of food instead of whipping my phone out and logging on myfitnesspal every time I take a bite of something.

Because it seems everyone responds differently to different foods, hence a calorie is not a calorie once you take hormonal response into account. You say so yourself, by eating the same 500kcal of baked foods rather than nuts you get fat.

Oni, I haven't chatted to you before. Interesting post, a lot of solid principles re macro timing.

are you a PT? What are your stats mate?

Has anyone here tried totally carbless (PWO) and actually have a great grueling session unless they're keto adapted? My performance tanks with no carb.

Has anyone here tried totally carbless (PWO) and actually have a great grueling session unless they're keto adapted? My performance tanks with no carb.
Don't fully understand your question mate, but there has been times where I went beyond carbless, i.e. ate / drank nothing at all PWO. You are able to have an amazing workout without carbs (or anything else for that matter), if your muscles have been loaded from the previous night for example. Like I said, I don't fully understand what you meant by your question, so I'll reserve further comments until I do.

Don't fully understand your question mate, but there has been times where I went beyond carbless, i.e. ate / drank nothing at all PWO. You are able to have an amazing workout without carbs (or anything else for that matter), if your muscles have been loaded from the previous night for example. Like I said, I don't fully understand what you meant by your question, so I'll reserve further comments until I do.
OK, I get that you still have carbs in the system from the meals you had before. What if you're fully carb depleted? The only two scenarios where my original question would apply would be a) at the start of a keto diet, b) messing up a carb cycling plan (eg when unexpected situations outside of training gets in the way of a plan).

Oni's diet ideas presented here are wicked, I just want to adapt it to my goal, which is the quest to reduce body fat % with minimal negative impact on my training performance and muscle mass. Carb cycling seems to tick all the boxes.

I really like this approach to dieting/eating when it comes to training and we have very similar ideas and structures to how we eat/set the diet up.

I totally agree there is no need to count calories when you have a good idea about food, how your body reacts to food etc - I think its of huge importance for a beginner to learn about calories and count calories - but you will get to a point where you simply don't need to and through trial and error know how much, what sorts of foods etc work best for yourself.

Also I know it may be considered 'bro-science' but I really think macro/nutrition timing is very important and something I have not done for along time and I think it have effect my results - i.e carbs around training, not having fats around training etc....

Good post mate....

I have been through induction twice in the last 6 weeks on keto.

i have done cardio fasted to help induce ketosis faster, and also fasted for a hour or two post work out to further help fat oxidation.

my pumps sucked ( as expected) and my strength was down (as expected) but after I was adapted my strength returned.

I really like like the idea of low carb, high fat but due to a medical issue (hiatus hernia) when I do keto for too long my acid reflux becomes unbearable due to high fat and the acid being up in my throat.

i recently did 5-6 weeks, and saw some good change in both fat loss and muscle maintanence (possibly even gain - which baffles me as I am in defecit) but am now moving to some carbs based around training, and lower fats to manage the GERD.

Looking into to some corrective surgery, Reflux has been my enemy for ten plus years.

The idea of going carbless post workout is that you eat a few carbs before to keep energy up
Do not train completely carb depleted, it will not be a good time

Oni, I haven't chatted to you before. Interesting post, a lot of solid principles re macro timing.

are you a PT? What are your stats mate?

I train people online but my career is in IT
I squat 230kg, bench 130kg, deadlift 272.5kg at 75kg body weight. Body fat is in the single digits and I am 5'8

I train people online but my career is in IT
I squat 230kg, bench 130kg, deadlift 272.5kg at 75kg body weight. Body fat is in the single digits and I am 5'8

Cool. More power lifting or bodybuilding focussed? I am guessing the former?

Have you considered a fairly low carb, with moderate protein, and fats being on the higher end of the scale?

Yeah I have, but I don't like eating a lot of animal fats and it causes too much water retention for me. It also causes cholesterol parameters of death