• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The 5 Second Rule - Myth or Fact

Is it safe to eat food that has made contact with the floor?

• Yes - 5 sec rule

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No - Not sanitary!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kaz

iLift
We have all done it... Prepared something awesome only to watch it fall on the floor in the 1 second of mishandled madness that it took to see it end up on some unclean, non-food preparation surface knowing it was some edible food treasure that was destined for your gut!
But never fear, you have the reflexes of a cat, a 4th generation ninja, as you dive to save your culinary delight from the grips of the post 5 second evil that is bestowed upon your creation whence it has sat on the floor longer than 5 entire seconds.....

So is the 5 second rule a Myth or Fact?

Is it a sanitary excuse to save fallen food or a genuine no-no when dealing with healthy food habits in the kitchen?

The 5 Second Rule - Myth or Fact. It's both, myth and fact! Let me explain and give my opinion on this wonderful subject Karen.

To people like myself, born in the 60s, or even 70s, this issue would more than likely fall under the "myth" category. You see Karen, according to today's rules and regulations, people from my generation should really be dead! I mean shock horror the things we kids got up to back in the 70s growing up. At a time when computers, TV, PlayStations etc. were nearly nonexistent (at least to me), we spent all day physically playing with our mates in the dirt 'n all. Imagine that hey! Drinking from a"dirty" garden hose; drinking from a bottle that has touched the lips of all your mates (OMG really!!!), and yes, picking up food after it has fallen on the ground, wiping it a bit and throwing it into our mouth, ...must have had a rugged immune system I reckon! The list of things we did (that were simply based on following one's instinct) would make modern government regulators faint from shock!

On the flip side, I know for a fact that my girls don't have my immune system. Why? Because thanks to today's regulations, everything has been hygienically cleaned, pasteurised, sterilised, etc. etc. No wonder kids today suffer from infections at the slightest exposure to whatever does not conform to the strict government’s standards.

I do not wish to be misunderstood here please. I am not saying throw caution to the wind and go out of your way to doing the wrong thing. However what I am saying is that bit of dirt; bit of soil on that organic carrot (which incidentally where a vegan would get his vitamin B12 from if only they knew), is not gonna kill you. And if it gives you bit of a gastro today, your immune system would be in a better position to deal with the same thing tomorrow.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Fadi should change his sig to educated kunce :)

On a srs note; do agree with the over-sanitisation that seems to be rife in the western world today.

Only have to listen to anecdotal stories told by our parents etc.. Kids were allowed to get dirty. It wasn't going to kill them if they weren't sanitized right away.

Am having a debate with my better 1/2 about this and our cat i.e.for when we have kids etc..

Fadi should change his sig to educated kunce :)

On a srs note; do agree with the over-sanitisation that seems to be rife in the western world today.

Only have to listen to anecdotal stories told by our parents etc.. Kids were allowed to get dirty. It wasn't going to kill them if they weren't sanitized right away.

Am having a debate with my better 1/2 about this and our cat i.e.for when we have kids etc..

No, sanitization is a good thing. Its a big reason for our longer life expectancies.

People always did and still do die from infections from unsanitary food and water. There is just much less now than previously.

i treat my kids how i used to be treated, allowed to ay outside, eat dirt, suck the dummy clean and out back in etc etc etc

Mythbusters did the 5 second rule back in 2005:

This myth yielded a varied number of results, but in the definitive test where the only variable was time, the myth was definitively busted. There was no real difference in the number of bacteria collected from two-second exposure compated to six-second exposure. Instead, the texture and moisture inherent to the food dropped dictated the number of bacteria collected.

I eat dropped food off the floor all the time though, just because there's bacteria doesn't mean it's going to do anything to you.

Bacteria are what keeps us alive, without them we would perish over time. We evolved with them. They also protect us from pathogens on the skin and gut lining.

Many times more bacteria than human cells too. But 5 sec rule is a bust.

Tell me about it, try seeing your kids sharing their icecream just after the kunce finished licking his arse.
I used to freak, but couldn't catch them every time.

Bacteria are what keeps us alive, without them we would perish over time. We evolved with them. They also protect us from pathogens on the skin and gut lining.

Many times more bacteria than human cells too. But 5 sec rule is a bust.

That's what I thought, thank you.