• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The breaking in of my ZKC plates.

PowerBuilder

Late last year I purchased a set of special ZKC bumper plates & mens olympic bar for my weightlifting club. It was a set that was used in the 2008 beijing olympic games. When I saw them online at the AK site it seemed far too good to miss out on.

The set looks like this...

2 x 25kg
2 x 20kg
2 x 15kg
2 x 10kg
2 x 5kg
2 x 2.5kg
2 x 2kg
2 x 1.5kg
2 x 1kg
2 x 500g
1 x 20kg mens olympic bar.

The workout was a snatch based workout. Power Snatches, Snatch Balances, Snatch Pulls & Snatch Deadlifts.

The highlight of the session was maxing out on the sna deadlift. I was unsure how much I could do. It turns out it was 115kg. It wasn't pretty, but I did it.

I've picked up a great way to begin a lift, very explosively. It's a bit hard to explain. After getting my feet into position. Holding onto the bar & having my shoulders in the 'right' position, I have my hips intentionally higher than my knees. As a result of this my shin's are quite inclined. It's at this point that I have a lot of tension (mainly) in my glutes & hamstrings. Once I'm physically & mentally ready, I lower my hips & execute the lift.

Lowering my hips changes the angle of knees, which makes it easier for the barbell to move in a straight line, as I lift the weight using the force from my legs. Once the bar is at knee height, I drag the weight across my thigh's, with my shins as vertical as possible. During this process I attempt to 'drive my hips through the bar', by extending my torso. During this process my arms are still straight...simply chains holding onto the bar....