• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The high Protein Myth

A saying I have lived by for yearssssss is: "Protein is muscle and muscle is protein"

"But anyone who goes above that is not only wasting money, they are also 'displacing' their normal metabolic function towards protein-metabolism," Froboese said.

"That can be a problem, especially for the kidneys."

"That's because excess protein is converted into fat."

Enter Max B rant here...:cool::cool::cool:

angry-desk-flip.jpg

Last edited:
"But anyone who goes above that is not only wasting money, they are also 'displacing' their normal metabolic function towards protein-metabolism," Froboese said.

"That can be a problem, especially for the kidneys."

"That's because excess protein is converted into fat."

Enter Max B rant here...:cool::cool::cool:

A person who trains at a high intensity and is looking for muscle growth needs more protein than the avg man...simple as that...

"Only when your body has been exposed to an extremely high form of strain, such as running a marathon or during a very intense period of muscle training, should you increase your protein intake - and then only for a maximum of between two and four weeks," said Froboese.
In that period you are allowed between two and three grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. After that phase you should quickly reduce intake to a normal level.

I would argue any BB is constantly in a state of intense muscle training, and seemingly by his own hand he states that is such a period protein should be increased to 2-3x BW min.

Gobbing off again

The people I encounter who develop their muscles for the sake of 'looking big and tough' are generally not the smartest tools. It's an observation I make whilst experiencing life. Your experiences with life may vary. Got a problem with that?
Commenter
Yumi Stynes
March 07, 2012, 1:05PM

Read more: The high-protein myth

limiting factor in how big you get is g's of AAS not g's of protein
was a good study where two groups of people ate 0.7g/lb of protein a day I think it was, one supplemented with testosterone injections the other placebo, surprise surprise the testosterone group gained more, proving that hormones are the limiting factor and not protein intake
another good one was 0.6g/lb vs 1.2g/lb and neither group gained more weight than the other

limiting factor in how big you get is g's of AAS not g's of protein
was a good study where two groups of people ate 0.7g/lb of protein a day I think it was, one supplemented with testosterone injections the other placebo, surprise surprise the testosterone group gained more, proving that hormones are the limiting factor and not protein intake
another good one was 0.6g/lb vs 1.2g/lb and neither group gained more weight than the other

This would be general knowledge for someone that is interested in weight training, bodybuilding, supplements etc...

Taking steroids V's not taking steroids - Steroids will always win..regardless or protein intake or diet....

Your comment is not a very good thing to go off....lets keep it simple here...someone who is training for size and strength needs a higher protein intake....protein is muscle, muscle is protein...

Yes you require higher protein intake than someone who sits on their ass watching Dr. Oz all day lol but 0.7g/lb is easily enough
When I was on dbol I didn't gain much weight at all, just increased glycogen storage. Diet is very important if you don't eat to gain weight you won't, even on hormones

Just looking at diet adherence as well, higher protein diets are more satiating and keep you fuller with less cravings due to insulin swings than if you replaced the extra protein with starchy carbohydrates. I'd rather err on the side of having too much than too little.

0.6g/lb vs 1.2g/lb and neither group gained more weight than the other

But they ate more calories, at least 200 at a guess... did they eat less fats and carbs. NITPICKING

But yer, that article is a farticle particle:D

joel i think you mis-interpret the article... more protein != more muscle, more protein than the body needs will convert to fat.

protein does not equal muscle.

joel i think you mis-interpret the article... more protein != more muscle, more protein than the body needs will convert to fat.

protein does not equal muscle.
Which is where balancing your macros comes in, it's not too much protein itself that'll make you fat but rather it's the extra calories regardless of the source.

if its too many protein calories, this is placing a strain on the body and yes, you won't get any muscle benefits, only negative's from placing the body under more stress.

why not shift those macro's towards healthy fats and carbs, since without the healthy fats you miss out on many of the building blocks of life.

the study is saying if your body only required 200 grams of protein, then eating 300 will not increase LBM. but it will pay for the supplement company's new boat and car, which is where this broscience of massively high protein intake has come from.

putting on weight is about calories more than protein. since its impossible to increase calories by eating whole foods without eating protein.

if its too many protein calories, this is placing a strain on the body and yes, you won't get any muscle benefits, only negative's from placing the body under more stress.

why not shift those macro's towards healthy fats and carbs, since without the healthy fats you miss out on many of the building blocks of life.

the study is saying if your body only required 200 grams of protein, then eating 300 will not increase LBM. but it will pay for the supplement company's new boat and car, which is where this broscience of massively high protein intake has come from.

putting on weight is about calories more than protein. since its impossible to increase calories by eating whole foods without eating protein.

Agreed.

Protein is ofc important but there's a "omg I have to eat 3-4g protein / kg bw or else I'm gonna lose muscle every second" hype. But.. you can always think "better being on the safe side and eat that protein".

The article is full of shit and to suggest that 1g per KILO is all that is needed is retarted. Numerous studies have shown the need for protein with an active individual is between MINIMUM 1.5g/kg calorie surplus) to 2.5g/kg (calorie deficit).

Having a high protein intake offers many other benefits other than just meeting physiological needs.

I also agree with A2GF, being on the safe side is always best IMO.