• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The importance of Carb intake

macca

Always interested in how diet variables affect training and results. Iv'e heard many say 'lift for strength, eat for size' and the likes. In my own experience, iv'e found that my own diet greatly affects my strength gains. When eating sub-maintenance cal's I've rarely been able to add strength.

My best gains have come when I've increased carb's pre and post training and added milk to the diet. From my experience, upping carb intake has had more benefit then increasing protein intake on both size and strength gains. Although with increased carb intake has always brought a increase in body fat. Iv'e also found that adding the carbs helps with recovery and stops fatigue during the day.

For a trainee, eating a 3000k maintenance diet with 2g protein per kg body weight. Do you think it be more beneficial for size/strength to increase protein intake by 100g or carb intake by 100g?

What are some of the vet's experience and view's on the matter?

Trainees nearly always under-estimate the importance of carbs, I know I did.
As a trainee I don't thinks it vitally important to get the exact ratio's correct. Have some protein some carbs and some fibre each meal and you'll grow.

without hijacking your thread macca, a question to the vets, how important are carbs for someone whose lifting but main aim is to drop fat mass? ATM i am avoiding them all together except for breakfast and only taking carbs through fruit, is this the wrong idea?

without hijacking your thread macca, a question to the vets, how important are carbs for someone whose lifting but main aim is to drop fat mass? ATM i am avoiding them all together except for breakfast and only taking carbs through fruit, is this the wrong idea?

I am also chasing the same ideas..

Im on another forum that posts alot of info regarding carbless PWO....

Im not going to reproduce the articles here at the moment unless i can get permission from there as it is against the boards wishes...

I have just removed carbs PWO due to insulin sensetivity... And alot of info i am reading into reasons not to dump simple sugars postworkout..

Last edited:

If you're lifting then you're going to need energy. Drop your calories and your body will drop down a gear in metabolism speed and so it goes. I'm a fan of increasing your RPM whilst in idle mode, no different to a car engine that has its RPM set on high and basically guzzling petrol as it waits for the light turn to green.

I'm convinced that metabolism speed is the key to weight/fat loss much more than cutting down on calories or dieting.

PS: There's icing on the cake when you do it the way I'm suggesting. That icing is called raising your insulin sensitivity at the cellular level and waking your insulin receptors at that level. I'll leave it here.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Carb up after the workout, without any fear of getting fat, it will all be used for muscle building and recovery. Maltodextrin is great. Our sponsors psp have an excelent one

Carb up after the workout, without any fear of getting fat, it will all be used for muscle building and recovery. Maltodextrin is great. Our sponsors psp have an excelent one

depends on the individuals' biochem.

I get fat when I have high GL post WO meal such as the 100g dextrose. So I just stick to oats and whey or brown rice and meat etc.

i'm still not convinced that having carbs & protein in the 45 minute window after training is the be all & end all for strength or size gains.

Let's say Craig trains at 5pm after work. He gets up at 7am, has his breakfast. Heads off to work, where he has 3-4 meals. Then trains. Within 45 minutes of training has carbs & protein pwo. Surely the 3-4 meals he has before training & the meal he has AFTER his PWO is just as...if not MORE important than his PWO drink / meal!

i'm still not convinced that having carbs & protein in the 45 minute window after training is the be all & end all for strength or size gains.

Let's say Craig trains at 5pm after work. He gets up at 7am, has his breakfast. Heads off to work, where he has 3-4 meals. Then trains. Within 45 minutes of training has carbs & protein pwo. Surely the 3-4 meals he has before training & the meal he has AFTER his PWO is just as...if not MORE important than his PWO drink / meal!

They are all important..

A few things can help understand what is going on..

Under ordinary circumstances ingestion of a meal induces a transient increase in muscle protein synthesis (MPS) followed by muscle protein breakdown (MPB). In this manner tissue is maintained but there is no net protein synthesis thus no anabolism.

87829152.jpg

The general consensus from research in this area is that exercise induces protein degradation as well as protein synthesis. Ingestion of protein during this time period strongly tips the balance of degradation versus synthesis to that of overall protein synthesis.

56882240.jpg

"The metabolic basis for skeletal muscle growth lies in the relationship of muscle protein synthesis to muscle protein breakdown. Muscle hypertrophy occurs only from net protein synthesis; that is, when muscle protein synthesis exceeds breakdown.... resistance exercise, has a profound effect on muscle protein metabolism, often resulting in muscle growth. Acutely, resistance exercise may result in improved muscle protein balance, but, in the absence of food intake, the balance remains negative (i.e., catabolic). ...Amino acid availability is critical to the control of muscle protein metabolism. Thus, a meal or a supplement containing protein or amino acids will influence muscle protein. ...[and if] ingested after exercise should result in muscle anabolism." - Tipton, Kevin, et al., Ingestion of Casein and Whey Proteins Result in Muscle Anabolism after Resistance Exercise, Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004 Dec;36(12):2073-81

Info courtesy of DATBTRUE

They are all important..

A few things can help understand what is going on..
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

87829152.jpg
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

56882240.jpg

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

n00bs, i wasn't implying not to worry about having a PWO meal. I think you possibly misunderstood what I was trying to say. I was implying that the meal PWO possibly doesn't have as big of an anabolic effect that people think. I'm reading some articles about the practice of having protein + fats PWO, which allows you to stay sensitive to insulin for a longer period of time, then a few hours latter (possibly in the morning) have some carbs for all fun stuff.

lol PB you get upset when people tease you... but you ask for it everytime.

Anyway, regarding fat as a nutrient transfer mechanism... Biocharge from Bioflex touches on this. It contains glycerol monostearate and no carbs