• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The road to a 200kg deadlift begins

Paullie

OK, Ive just finished 8 weeks of a program and I have 6 weeks before the push/pull competition being held by Henry at the Muscle Pit.

In 8 weeks I was able to bring my bench to 122.5kg, deadlift to 160kg and overhead to 95kg. I have been doing a lot of posterior chain work, one goal is to strengthen my back to the point its bullet proof (wouldn't that be nice).

There is already some conversation in my training log but thought I'd open it, as it is relevant for people at my level of training.

Goals for the comp are a 120kg paused bench and a 200kg deadlift.

How do I get there?

Things to note:
Confident I can pause bench 117.5kg now.
Deadlift weakness is off the floor, can lock out 200kg.
I can't load up my upper back squatting .. yet.
Trapbar in the gym.

Markos, I'd really like your input here....

Trap bar it (some) to take the load off of your back a little so you don't injure yourself. It would also hopefully contribute well to your problem area of getting the load off of the floor.

Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Trap bar it (some) to take the load off of your back a little so you don't injure yourself. It would also hopefully contribute well to your problem area of getting the load off of the floor.

How so? Trap bar handles are higher than a deadlift barbell will be.

this is what i posted in paulie's log. others may find it interesting

deficit deads are good. but i would only make the deficit like 5cm. so about a 10kg bumper otherwise it will change the movement too much and you may loose your groove or develop bad habits.

also on your rack pulls do it from below knee level. this makes sure that the movement is deadlift specific. when people do it above the knees they can change their position so that it is easy but they aren't training the dead, and wont get much carry over.

also olympic squats for power off the floor. squats have been the key for me. they may not be for you. but dont neglect the squat. go heavy for 4 weeks then back off.

and for bench i wouldn't do speed work. pause everything. and bench 3 times a week. try a sheiko bench program, it will work.

they're my exercise recommendation. programing can be differ from person to person.

How about...

Monday
Squat 2 x 10
Trap Bar Deadlifts 3 x 5
Paused Bench Press 2 x 7
Rows 3 x 8

Wednesday
Squat 3 x 10
UDLs 1xmax
Paused Bench Press 5 x 5
Deficit Deadlift 3 x 3

Saturday
Squat 5 x 10
Deadlifts 3 x 3
Military Press 5 x 3
Rack Pulls 3 x 3

Thoughts?

also on your rack pulls do it from below knee level. this makes sure that the movement is deadlift specific. when people do it above the knees they can change their position so that it is easy but they aren't training the dead, and wont get much carry over.

That's a very good point Haz.
Posted via Mobile Device

Again, most give information like its finite.

Max pulled in the rack from above his knees, ended up with a 230kg dead @ 78kg

So did Kelly, he pulled 260kg @ 80kg

Trap bar will mimick squat IF you bend your legs

Deficit deadlifts are awesome, do them

You'll never be a good bencher if your not fast. Nick beats Kelly on reps, Kelly benches more because he is faster. No brainer there.

Carryover from Trap bar, not 100% sure, but its a great lift.

Fat Dave deadlifted 200kg x 5 tonight, has been using the Trap bar exclusively

Max and Kelly may have been performing them correctly. doing them from below knees doesn't give the lifter a chance to cheat.

Deadlift 5 plates like a champ im pretty sure i posted this on the forum but here it is again. it may help with weaknesses. possible weak hamstrings maybe.

Possibly, but most guys will hitch once the bar gets above the knees.

Truth is, I've stopped them. Even though Max, Dim and Kelly got their deads up, Max and Dim formed bad habits.

I think deficit pulls are much better

The problem with the rack pull is, i believe, very little carryover to the conventional deadlift as most people don't do it right and, like Markos said, people tend to develop bad habits from them.

Paullie, if you're having trouble off the floor maybe try some speed deadlift. I use them a fair bit and like Markos can tell you i'm pretty fast off the floor. Use around 60% 1RM and do 5-8 sets of 3 reps focusing on technique and just pullling as fast as you can.

Speed deadlift ok thanks Kelly.

Also, I'm not a hitcher.

Might add in some speed bench as well.

Will re adjust the program.

Standing in a 5-10cm block and deadlifting.
The bar is then closer to your feet, increasing the ROM
Posted via Mobile Device