• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The road to a 200kg deadlift begins

Exercises to assist with my deadlift:

1. Trap Bar Deadlifts
2. Deficit Deadlifts
3. Speed Deadlifts
4. Drop Deadlifts.
5. Rack pulls.

All make sense to me, now how do I incorporate them into a program without over loading?

Though Henry Days opinion would be of interest.
"You are on the right track with deficets & speed deads to help off the floor... only two sugestion would be to keep a check on technique when pulling fast and also try drop deads - the ecentric phase builds kenetic energy which is transfere...d to the concentric on the way up. This allows you to move more weight off the floor hold more weight at the top & gets your nervous system used to heavier loads... Hope it helps
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F2AknAkXlU]YouTube - Muscle Pit - Drop Deads (Deadlifts)[/ame]"

I wouldn't do what they are doing in that video bouncing from the ground will give u a weak bottom and it also jolts yr body, always do start and stops.

Henry is such a beast, he's going for Adam Coe's bench record of 245kg in the 100kg this year, at age 47.

Paullie, the only worry about incorporating all of those deadlift exercises is overtraining. Do you want to deadlift heavy 3x a week? I know it takes at least 2 days to recover from a heavy session for me, only you know when it's too much for your body.

Also don't forget to do the main exercise, the conventional deadlift.

Have you given up on trying sumo?

I know Alvin, I'm not really sure what to do in this case. I don't want to overtrain and risk injury, that's the last thing I want to do.

I only tried semi sumo as a supplementary exercise, I didn't think I would ever convert to using it.

When I first started deadlifting, I did what was in the video, those "dropdeads" except with more control. I always started from the rack. Obviously this gave me a weakness off the floor. I finally caught on when I couldn't budge 160kg from the floor but had no problem repping it from out of the rack. I started lifting straight from the floor and chose to deadlift heavy, from the floor 3 times a week to bring it up to par as quickly as I could. It worked a treat. I was allready mentally and technically able to pull 180kg (where I was at the time) but physically I just couldn't. So hammering it from the floor and trying to add weight each time, got it back up to where it should be in 5 weeks. Heavy 3 times a week, still squatting/benching and everything else.

You WILL NOT feel good after this, or towards the end. I probably didn't eat as much as I should've to compensate but I believe it wouldn't of helped too much. Just gotta push through and work hard to get where you want to go. If form starts to fail, obviously take a break, recover and get right back in there.

Markos what sort of speed lifting can you do to help your bench press? Fast reps on low weight at high reps? Pushups?
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the reply. So just do 3 reps in 3 seconds the. Rest and do it again.. Any number of sets?
Posted via Mobile Device

OK hows this:

Monday
Trap Bar Deadlifts 5 x 3
Paused Bench Press 2 x 7
Rows 3 x 8
Drop Deads 3 x 3

Wednesday
Squat 3 x 10
Paused Bench Press 5 x 5
Good Mornings 2 x 15
UDLs 1xmax

Saturday
Squat 3 x 10
Deficit Deadlifts 3 x 3 / Speed Deadlifts 5 x 3
Deadlifts 3 x 3 / Rack Pulls 3 x 3
Military Press 5 x 3

Thanks for the reply. So just do 3 reps in 3 seconds the. Rest and do it again.. Any number of sets?
Posted via Mobile Device

Go for 5 sets mate

Paullie my advice: just go down to the fucking gym and do some big heavy max effort blood coming out of your nose yelling screaming grunting scare all the girls away conventional deadlifts then finish up with some chins once a week and thats it. i got to 220 doing that adding 2.5kg/5kg a week.
but what do i know, others have more experience then me

Last edited:
I acknowledge the need for hard work, but I'm the type of person where I need a set routine, so I know what I'm doing before I'm in the gym, to waste no time.

Markos, hows does that routine look? ok?