• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The standing overhead press

overhead squats are...well...at first weird.

As fadi has alluded to, you pretty much start in the final stage of a military press, then squat down as if to do a normal back squat, then up again. You obviously use a lot less weight than your back squat. Like, a lot. I don't do them since, well...i don't feel the need. If there was one that i saw &/or my coach said do 30 sets of 10 per session...i would, otherwise, i'll enjoy them from the side lines

Exhibit A

Exhibit B
Greg-Amundson-oh-squat.jpg

Thanks for that Champion. They look just like what I used to do; but I've never heard it been called overhead squat till I joined Ausbb! This man looks like he's doing a drop snatch (bit hard to tell how wide his grip is from that side shot).

Again, thank you Tiger.

Fadi.

Your right in using alot less weight..

ALOT

When i first started i had 10kg a side and it still drilled me.. I find i feel it more in my lower back.

ANyway sorry for thread hyjack Markos

A drop snatch is different again Fadi.

For a drop snatch, you start with the bar on your shoulders like a regular squat, then drop down while the bar is locked out as in a snatch, then you stand up.

For an overhead squat, the bar starts overhead, then you squat down and stand back up.

The pic above is an overhead squat

I mainly use the overhead squat to help correct poor squat form and to strengthen the core.

When a lifter displays poor shoulder flexibility or hip flexibility, we train the overhead and front squat exclusively.

I had one lifter who folded like an accordian when he squatted 40kg. We did front and overhead squats exclusively.

He eventually back squatted 140kg.

My weightlifting sessions begin and end with overhead squats. I've yet to spring the drop snatch on anyone yet.

I mainly use the overhead squat to help correct poor squat form and to strengthen the core.

When a lifter displays poor shoulder flexibility or hip flexibility, we train the overhead and front squat exclusively.

I had one lifter who folded like an accordian when he squatted 40kg. We did front and overhead squats exclusively.

He eventually back squatted 140kg.

My weightlifting sessions begin and end with overhead squats. I've yet to spring the drop snatch on anyone yet.

that is very interesting...

i have terrible flexibility and seem to fold A LOT when trying to squat parallel... maybe i should give these overhead squats a go

i tried squatting with 3cm plates under my heels today, that seemed to help my form, although i can't see this being a viable option when i eventually start lifting respectable weights. it also made the exercise MUCH harder

i like over head sqauts ya really gotta lock ya shoulders back before even thinking about the squat... light weigths needed before trying

I tried this last night, I must say this is a great exercise, but like everyone one said you need to do it with light weight to start with and it did feel weird for the first couple of reps but after a few you get use to it.

I am still training my front squat. My shoulders need to improve in flexibility.

Last night I was really concentrating on getting my head in the hole with the Military Press, it makes a huge difference. I have trouble getting out of the hole when I start to go heavier though.