• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Time for a fat tax ?

The difference is. Smoking is always harmful to your health. Eating fatty or high calorie food can be perfectly fine for people depending on the situation.

I doubt smoking infrequently/rarely will be harmful.

But don't worry, as long as it fits into your macros you're all good.
bulking off mcdonalds

I doubt smoking infrequently/rarely will be harmful.

But don't worry, as long as it fits into your macros you're all good.
bulking off mcdonalds

There is no level of smoking that is harmless. Obviously the less the better but any level of smoking carries risk.

Someone who is lean and healthy eating fatty high calorie foods can be perfectly fine for them.

There is a difference.

The product itself isn't the issue it's the misuse of it. Personally I think sooner or later the Government will have to step in and regulate what is being sold. They are the ones who have to foot the bill for the general population's associated problems with obesity, ie diabetes, high blood pressure, depression....

Legalise weed and tax that....

As for fat people... legalise weed.... and cut costs of ambos (for when they have heart attacks after gorging themselves)......

Tax the shit out of alcohol and cigarettes....

Let them subsidise the billions of dollars that they cause the health system to spend.

Alcohol, cigarettes and gambling.... all big probelms.

Kinda fucked that something can't be done properly to stop these, cos its such a big revenue raiser thesedays.

Alcohol, cigarettes and gambling.... all big probelms.

Kinda fucked that something can't be done properly to stop these, cos its such a big revenue raiser thesedays.

People have to take responsibility for themselves.

Doesn't matter how much a government legislates , its to easy for people to blame everyone else and the government rather than to get off their arse and do something useful.

The issue is not the overweight.

It's the lawyers and solicitors and politicians that are causing problems.
I hate them.

People have to take responsibility for themselves.

that's cool, but then it has to go all the way - if you're responsible for making good food choices and exercising and what not, but you fail to do so then you've also got to be responsible for the burden that places on society as a whole when you get older and spend many years in poor health. this is currently not the case and to be totally honest, it would be a pretty horrible way of dealing with the situation. i don't want old, sick people being turned away from medical care or burdened with massive debt because they aren't covered by medicare or are too poor for insurance - that's not the Australia that i want to live in.

how do you determine whether you're treating someone who has done all the right things but is genetically pre-disposed to certain "lifestyle" diseases, or someone who lives on a steady diet of sugar and has never bothered to exercise in their lives? sorry for the straw-man, but when you follow the idea through to its logical conclusion then there's millions of reasons as to why it doesn't work.

also, the whole "personal responsibility" thing irks me - it makes a massive assumption that people are smart enough to figure out what to eat and how to make good food choices. simply put, a lot of people are just not equipped for this. i really care about this stuff and i try really hard and it's still taken me the better part of 30 years to find a dietary combination that actually works. what chance do you give the average person?

i don't really see "personal responsibility" as any sort of solution - that's what got us into this mess in the first place.

i'm pretty neutral on the topic - i think a "fat tax" would be an extremely broad and general stroke to attempt to solve the problem. it's definitely far from perfect and it's not exactly going to stop the fatties in their tracks, but if it does anything to help counter poor food choices, to help fund the treatment of lifestyle diseases, to help fund education for children and teens and to subsidise certain "healthy" and/or "fresh" foods then i think it's a better option than just saying "personal responsibility, nanny state, ra-ra-ra". yes, people who are healthy would be paying into the fund everytime they sneak maccas or a chocolate bar, but it's the price you pay to live in a society such as ours - i pay for roads i will never drive on, trains i will never ride, hospitals i will never visit and services i will never require but that's just the way it is.

wrt what a "fat tax" would actually entail, i dunno, but surely a combination of energy density, sugar content and some level of "processing" or "denaturing" could be used to determine a list of less desirable, taxable foods.

this is all moot though, cos it will never actually happen...

Last edited:
we have responsible service of alcohol laws, why not the same for food?

would generate some hearty lols at fast food restaurants and the supermarket checkout

Its already done for cars and bikes - learners not being allowed v8's or bikes above certain power to weight ratios/engine sizes

fast food license ?

sorry sir only people at bmi are allowed in isle 5

04.gif

maybe they should spend millions of dollars introducing a traffic light system for foods..
green for "healthy" food
yellow for stuff that is not as good for you, but still complies with food regulations
red, they can put anything they like in there.. chemicals, non-food additives... like the old Coca-cola recipe etc... :D

then again, "possibility of death" is not a sufficient motivator in our society.. so i wonder what would be?

Money.

I think the best bet would be yearly dexa scans, or at least caliper bodyfat tests, thats the only way to really tell if people have excess fat. Then they know exactly who to tax, and/or to what extent.