• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Time to create a proper strength gym in adelaide.

legalattorney

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/event.php?eid=187854647910442 <<<< LINK to the event on facebook, join if you are keen.

For the past few years, there has been a continuing need for a proper strength/powerlifting gym in adelaide. Clearly, gyms in adelaide do not cut it, whether it be faggots in the gym fucking you off because they scream on a 1/2 b.w bench, typical mirror men who think they know it all, the 18 year old talking absolute shit about how good his mate is on the gear, or the staff at a gym in adelaide telling you off for deadlifting at... speed with 130kg using ivanko rubbers on a rubber floor.

Myself and Julian Kula have a vision to change all of this crap. It is a longshot, but it all has to start from somewhere.

We are pooling interest for a powerlfiting/strength gym in adelaide. The plan is to get a group of 50+ powerlifters/ strength atheletes/weightlifters together, people with a genuine yearning for becoming stronger, and people who are not genuinely satisfied with their current training location, or wish to train with an ELITE group of athletes, NO SOFTCOCKS.

Depending on enough interest, and availability of suitable locations, we may just be able to get this gym off the ground.

Obviously we will be charging a fee in order to come up with enough funds to get the equipment which will be suitable and wanted by all athletes in the group. BEFORE ANYTHING is received, i will be organising a meeting for everyone who joins this event (MEETING 1), that way we can see how many people are interested, and everyone can fill out a form for what equipment they prefer.

Equipment that will no doubt be in the mix are weightlifting platforms, prowlers, sleds, logs, proper power rack, competition bench, chains, bands, heavy kettlebells, bumper plates, powerlifting bars and weightlifting bars, glute ham raise, sandbags, massive tyres etc.

Upon recieving forms, there will be another meeting organised (MEETING 2), to consult everyone on the equipment planned to be purchased. At this meeting , anyone unhappy with the equipment plan can voice their opinion and we can all negotiate on better solutions.

Throughout MEETINGS 1 we will be setting up a shortlist of possible warehouses/venues for the gym. After MEETING 1, I will consult the bank and arrange a loan and all the necessary terms and conditions, paperwork etc. Obviosuly during this meeting I will need a signature from all attending stating their interest in signing a contract for gym membership between $15 - $20 a week

Upon completion of MEETING 2 we will advise everyone of the venue which was most preferred by the majority of lifters. During this meeting, we shall also provide the joining fee cost so we can get off the ground. There shouldn't be a exit fee but the bank may have the final say on this.

When we are 100% certain the majority of lifters are happy with the location of the venue and weekly membership cost, and the initial equipment proposed we shall start collecting the joining fee. Only when we have ALL the money, shall we proceed to purchase the equipment. The appropriate legal documentation will be organised and issued to all. If we do not get all of the joining fees, everyone WILL be issued with their money back, and their will be no loss to anyone.

On a final note, Julian and I will be at the meetings for any questions. These meetings will only go ahead if we have enough interest, and at no point in time will you be required to outlay money. Everyone will have the chance to negotiate what they want, in the equipment, venue and contract.... Additional meetings WILL be organised if we believe there is not enough concensus and agreement between the group on the issues of the venue location, equipment, and any other issues.

This gym, if it gets up, will be the PEOPLE'S GYM, for people who aren't afraid to get strong, eat a lot of fucking food, and scream and train as hard and as loud as they want.

This gym will be RESTRICTED to the few athletes in adelaide who wish to go places with their training by dedication and commitment. Obviously if you can squat 2x bodyweight, or deadlift 2.5x bodyweight or bench 1.5x bodyweight your automatically invited, ANY LESS than this and you will be required to tell us what you want out of your training and where you see yourself going..

This is not to say anyone who cannot do one of the above 3 will not be allowed to join. We are simply after a group of lifters who ALL WANT the same thing. To get strong, and stay strong. Who do not care how much noise is made, as long as they are busting their balls. Lifters who plan to go all the way and dedicate themselves to be the real deal and not just a bunch of show ponies. Anyone who wants what we want, and have the vision we have, are more than welcome to join.

Last edited:
im with alpha on this... why do you want to join this gym? to get big?

they ask those questions at FF, so its not un common, but how will you be able to tell, when some young bloke comes in, has been looking for a gym like yours, but, due to lack of availability, is not up to the x b.w your asking, how will you know if he is serious or not?

just my 2c.

P.S good work for getting a powerlifting gym underway

I think it sounds great. If it was near me i'd be very tempted to be a part of it.
If you wouldn't feel welcome there then i'd say the gym would not be for you - everyone has different priorities about what they want from a gym I guess.
In terms of deciding whether someone can join, why does it have to be hard? Goals, skillsets, current or past lifting numbers, and some sort of quick assessment - ie. Powerclean 100kg, or squat 140 - whatever relates best to the athlete's normal activities can all be assessed. We do this regularly where I train athletes. If they don't measure up then one starts to doubt whether they're going to cut the mustard.

Look guys, we have a vision and want a bunch of lifters/athletes who ARE STRONG, OR want to be strong just as much as we want to improve and achieve. It is not about excluding those who have the same vision as us, but we want to exclude those who will be DETRIMENTAL to the gym environment. Those who are mirror men, who curl in the squat rack, who bitch about not liking the fact that there probably wont be any aircon.... WE WANT dudes who have the dedication and committment to GET STRONG and STAY STRONG.

I was lifting at a gym in adelaide cbd, got told off for deadlifting at speed with ivanko rubbers... ive had enough of the gyms in SA... its time to create a real strength gym.

We want a gym where you can punish yourself on a sled, the prowler, lift a keg for reps, make massive noise, sweat your guts out, be proud of your achievements and feel LIKE EVERYONE around you WANTS THE SAME THING!

And yes, we will ask people what they want out of this gym... if they want a place to fuck around, bitch and moan, or pretend they want to get strong when they really do not, they are not welcome... if people who want a place to call STRENGTH home, join up, then get burdened by other committments, they are more than welcome to stay as long as they can do what they can each week.. and bust their arse doing it.

Last edited:
Good on you for putting forward your proposal, got to start somewhere.

One question though.
I don't assume you want to limit members, as I believe your goal would also include to become a popular training facility which becomes as well known as possible to the targeted audience, so you build yourself a good reputation.
So, what happens if you start off with 40 solid members signed up, all willing to put in $1000 as committment to set up a place they intent to train at for at least the next 12-24 months + more.
40k should buy you a decent set up, provided you source equipment well, even 2nd hand items.
Then, as time goes by, more and more want to join, but you may not need more equipment, how will you figure out what the new members have to pay?
Would they pay some and credit back a little to the 40 original members?
Would you limit members if the gym was getting too busy/crowded?
Even though your place was getting popular and serious trainees wanted to train there?
Waiting list like childcare centres maybe?
This is the part where I could see it getting messy.

In all honesty, I thing one or two people need to do the research and if it seems feasible, lay down the money, take the calculated risk and invest in setting up the gym, and charge flat memberships.
Having 50 guys putting in funds can get very messy, and there are always excuses as to why some people can't come up with the money on time, which will delay your plans.
Some may pay, then a month later claim hardship due to unforseen events and want their money back.
Obviously you'd have a contract in place, but need to show compassion for geniune cases too.

My opinion only, but this is where I can see problems occuring.

If you set up something like PTC im sure that would naturally eliminate most of the screamers, chestbrahs, lycra phaggots, bench bunches, pec deck bros, mirror breakers ect that you dont want

ok.. thanks for the advice hulk... i was thinking of giving a key to the 50 members who want to come in and train... and a contract where they own 1/50th of all the equipment, so when it comes down to selling it all, they get 1/50th of the lot...

however, i see your point, and obviously the more people join, the more equipment we are all going to get... more bumpers better bars, more tractor tyres etc...

i was talking to a mate though... would it be better to visit the bank, getting say a 50k loan... then setting up the gym where all members pay around $20 flat rate each week?

i also was thinking of the 50 members, where the lease for them would drop from $10 a week to say $5 and any new members would cover that drop in price as a sign of appreciation..

the only reason why i was structuring the plan like it is, is to make it so transparent people know exactly where there money is going... and that is back into the gym...

if i had to take a loan out from the bank and go through all the bullshit, that would be time money etc, and all the fee's + interest... i would be like ffs!

Last edited:
Firstly the idea sounds good. But however;

I don't know where people in Adelaide (more so on this forum) get the idea that there aren't places to lift and get strong in Adelaide.
I have only just got a membership after having to pack up my home gym (moving) and went to Fortus (the old CBD). This place has 6 power racks (4 new with all band pegs & stuff), power bars, comp eleiko plates, ER comp bench & squat, bands, chains, glute ham, SSB bars. It also houses my log and axle for people to use (soon to have my farmers aswell).
There is also 4 or more 200kg+ squatters (1 270kg+) there and 1 245kg bencher.
So this notion that there is no real place to lift in Adelaide is crap and it annoys me that people think that (and voice it) because it makes our town sound shitty when it's not we just have more compainers than most.

yea andrew, i joined up to that gym yesterday...

but it shits me when i see a twat bench using the eleiko competition barbell, loads 45kg on it... leaves it on their for 10 mins while he goes to the toilet.. WTF is with that.. thats why barbells fucking bend..

i left world gym for the same reason, they have hammer strength racks, ivanko gear, but i could not handle the mentality there either...

put it this way, there is only a few places you can train strongman in adelaide.. 1 in town then its home gyms... im not too sure about fortus either after seeing that the dude who was leaving weights on the eleiko bar and just walking around with the weights sitting on the comp bar works there...

he clearly doesnt have the right mentality..

Last edited:
ok.. thanks for the advice hulk... i was thinking of giving a key to the 50 members who want to come in and train...
I seriously think this would be a big mistake, it would only take 1 dishonest member to wipe you out, whether you have video cameras or not.
Leaving 49 other members to point the finger at.
and a contract where they own 1/50th of all the equipment, so when it comes down to selling it all, they get 1/50th of the lot...
Complicated, someone still has to sign the lease too...

however, i see your point, and obviously the more people join, the more equipment we are all going to get... more bumpers better bars, more tractor tyres etc...

i was talking to a mate though... would it be better to visit the bank, getting say a 50k loan... then setting up the gym where all members pay around $20 flat rate each week?
I think this is the way to go, just have to play with the figures and projected members, budget, contingencies, insurance issues, etc and work out if it's feasible.
If you go for finance, bank will want a pretty comprehensive business plan, which would actually help you reduce any possible risks and take a conservative 3rd party view, rather than a hopeful one.

i also was thinking of the 50 members, where the lease for them would drop from $10 a week to say $5 and any new members would cover that drop in price as a sign of appreciation..

the only reason why i was structuring the plan like it is, is to make it so transparent people know exactly where there money is going... and that is back into the gym...

if i had to take a loan out from the bank and go through all the bullshit, that would be time money etc, and all the fee's + interest... i would be like ffs!

Your original plan may work.
I'm sure the structure has been used before.
Have you researched where this same structure has been used before, and where it was sucessful?
Sucess leaves clues and if you can work out why the sucessful ventures using this structure are sucessful and why others failed, you will have a good chance of sucess yourself.

Reasearch and due dilligence required to reduce risk as much as possible.

Good luck

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Hey James didn't realise that was you.

I understand what you mean about people like that. It's more the waisting time that bugs me not how much they lift. We all started somewhere.
But it's simple to just ask to work in. I haven't met one person who has ever refused that. It's a little more pissing around (changing weights) but it's better than nothing.

As for your gym idea. If you can work it do it.
I don't know where you or Julian live but another way of starting small would be a 6m x 9m shed in the back yard with all the equipment. Still charge money for people to train and go from there. When you get enough people and it gets to small then look into the warehouse thing. Cause warehouse leases are expensive. By then you would have a good group that are will to keep paying.
There isn't much money in strength. It's all in the cardio bunny chicks so don't expect to make a lot, but to cover cost and a little extra would be nice.

yea thanks for the advice andrew,

i saw it at world gym plenty of times.. they have ivanko powelifting bars there at approx 800 usd a bar.... and at least 2 of them are bent within the first 12 months of usage... cos idiots leave the weights on the barbell..

how long till the eleiko one is farked? only time will tell... it frustrates me that their are quality lifters out there who sweat blood and tears to train there arse off and will never have the opportunity to train with an eleiko bar...

however, mr 45kgs thinks its all right to take a piss, walk around for 10 mins and fuck the bar up..

yea i agree 100%, i couldnt care if he was lifting 25 kg on the bar, as long as he was busting his arse, doing his set, and moving on, not prancing around like a fairy.

and btw, we definitely can fit in a 6 x 9m shed out the back of my place..

Last edited:
yea andrew, i joined up to that gym yesterday...

but it shits me when i see a twat bench using the eleiko competition barbell, loads 45kg on it... leaves it on their for 10 mins while he goes to the toilet.. WTF is with that.. thats why barbells fucking bend..

i left world gym for the same reason, they have hammer strength racks, ivanko gear, but i could not handle the mentality there either...

put it this way, there is only a few places you can train strongman in adelaide.. 1 in town then its home gyms... im not too sure about fortus either after seeing that the dude who was leaving weights on the eleiko bar and just walking around with the weights sitting on the comp bar works there...

he clearly doesnt have the right mentality..

if 45kg permanently bent an eleiko bar, id want my money back

its not the fact that the bar probably didn't bend... but how many others may be benching heavier and do the same thing?

he works there and thinks its okay because he didnt outlay the cash for the bar...

if you think its okay cos its eleiko, im sure ALL bars ivanko and eleiko inclusive have stated that to keep your bar working properly you should not leave ANY weight on the barbell... it is different when the bar is in your hands as oppose to the stands...

ivanko bars are pretty decent yet at world there are already 2 bent? if he had decent lifts he would understand the quality of the bar is very important and so is looking after it.

Last edited:
yea thanks for the advice andrew,

i saw it at world gym plenty of times.. they have ivanko powelifting bars there at approx 800 usd a bar.... and at least 2 of them are bent within the first 12 months of usage... cos idiots leave the weights on the barbell..

how long till the eleiko one is farked? only time will tell... it frustrates me that their are quality lifters out there who sweat blood and tears to train there arse off and will never have the opportunity to train with an eleiko bar...

however, mr 45kgs thinks its all right to take a piss, walk around for 10 mins and fuck the bar up..

yea i agree 100%, i couldnt care if he was lifting 25 kg on the bar, as long as he was busting his arse, doing his set, and moving on, not prancing around like a fairy.

and btw, we definitely can fit in a 6 x 9m shed out the back of my place..

should of asked to use it, im sure he wouldnt have mind you work in

its not about working in mate, its about looking after a quality barbell..... so others dont have to use bent bars!

you can understand my frustration... i left worlds cos of the idiots...

and go to another gym where Ben tells me everything i want to hear, yea we got this coming the prowler, etc etc

great..

but then you still have lifters who leave shit on the bar? correct me if im wrong, but im sure they would know if your bar is bent by leaving it with weights as it would be bent in certain places... knowing this, they wouldnt replace your bar.. it spoils it for everyone...

Last edited:
its not the fact that the bar probably didn't bend... but how many others may be benching heavier and do the same thing?

he works there and thinks its okay because he didnt outlay the cash for the bar...

if you think its okay cos its eleiko, im sure ALL bars ivanko and eleiko inclusive have stated that to keep your bar working properly you should not leave ANY weight on the barbell... it is different when the bar is in your hands as oppose to the stands...

ivanko bars are pretty decent yet at world there are already 2 bent? if he had decent lifts he would understand the quality of the bar is very important and so is looking after it.

from my experience there is quite a difference between the ivanko and the eleiko comp bars, if the worlds gym bars are actually comp and not training bars (im not 100% sure on what they have)

and btw no one is employed at fortus, the person you are describing is an owner and therefore did actualy fork out the cash to buy it

should i push big steve through his sets a bit faster when he is benching with 230+ on a sat morning for fear of the bar being bent?

well my mistake... i know it wasnt Ben who was using it... but in any case..

if the same mentality of leaving the bar is applied to all or filters through.. you'll eventually have people leaving weights on the bar after their sets are done.. then what?

its just plain annoying to see that some do not realise this.

Last edited:
weights are never left on the bar, every person who uses fortus knows that they are to put away shit after they have used it, its an unspoken rule that everyone abides by, and i cannot remember the last time i saw a loaded bar left unattended with a load that could possibly causes permanent damage, i find it hard to remember even a time when a weight plate was replaced back onto the wrong storage pin.

3 - 4 times a week that very same bar (which is only ever used on the texas bench rack) tends to be loaded with between 160 - 230 for nearly 90 - 120min, the poor bar doesnt get a rest in that time, im pretty confident eleiko wont have a problem with it being used like that... but maybe ill email them now and just check