• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training when sick?

C

challs

Hi,

I have a bit of a cold. Running nose, stuffy head etc. Don't feel too terrible, just a bit stuffed up and tired.

Should I train through it or have a break?

Thanks

Most probably wouldn't advocate training when sick cos it takes away from your body's recovery time & u may end up staying sick for longer.
It's problably not the right thing to do, but I always train through sickness. I mean, not if i have a stomach upset & vomiting everywhere....just like colds & stuff. If I'm sneezing and coughing everywhere I wont go to the gym though, just at home or a jog. Not fair on other people, I don't wanna spread the germs!
I do just make sure I load up on the vit C, drink heapsa water & eat my veggies :)
Thats just me personally though. I just find I feel even worse sitting around at home like a slug. I don't train at the same intensity however, thats for sure!

I feel your pain though. I'm sick at the moment too. It sucks! Get well!

I would say have a break, when you are not well you don't train properly & may be just going through the motions which is a waste of time.
Also, if you aren't at your best your technique could be lacking leaving room for injury/strain.
Have a break & then train like there's no tomorrow when you feel great again!

Take some Vitamin C, get your rest, and stay hydrated! A week off won't hurt you.

Exactly! A week off won't hurt, but training too hard when you're sick could cause you to injure yourself. I've been there, done that.

Go hard, train if you wonna train. if you stay home then you'll just pine for the gym, so just go.
you'll know yourself weather or not you gonna handle it.

Thanks for the advice guys. I felt a bit better throughout the day today so if I feel better tomorrow morning I might go to the gym and do a session.

As a related question from someone reasonably new to this... I've already missed a couple gym sessions due to feeling crap, should I pick up on my program from where I left off, or should I ignore the sessions I missed and start from where I would be up to if I hadn't missed a session?

What i do. If it''s just a runny nose and suffy head I pop 2 Nurofen with pseudoephedrine and train 20 mins later when it kicks in. Then i train for 30-45 mins, eat and then crash. The Pseudoeph will make you feel invincible for an 1hr or 2 but then the rash sets in but by then you have trained and eaten.
I am not advocating this but I have been training for years and know by body well. if you have more symptons like high body temp and or chest cough i do not recommend training until fully recovered.

I miss the session.

I see it like this: my body can recover from the workout, or recover from the illness, but it can't do both at once.

It's just a couple of workouts, you have a life of lifting ahead of you, so what. Doesn't apply if it's just being slack-arsed, of course. But if it's illness or some family stuff, forget the workout and deal with the other stuff.

I went to the gym with a bit of a fever. A day later it was gone, sickness doesn't hold on to me for long.

Hmm, I went rockclimbing with a fever once and had an even more raging temperature the next day... Everyone is different and I would err on the side of caution (if only I actually practised what I preached)!

I ended up deciding not to train, but then on Thursday afternoon I went to the gym and trained. It was a bad idea and I felt terrible afterward. I ended up with a sinus infection (not saying that the training caused it). Been to he doctors twice as the first set of antibiotics weren't strong enough. Think I will see how I feel tomorrow. I think it is true that your body can't recover from the training while trying to recover from illness.

okie...
basically im not sick...
its just that my left index finger got cut by the metal door panel...
a small chunk of the meat came off..
so im on bandage for tat finger only...

isit possible for me to continue training???
eg.. gripping the bar without my index finger...
or do i have to wait till my finger fully recover (to let the skin + flesh grow back)
mayb 1 or 2 weeks???

im really confused... :(

Ow!

If you can comfortably grip the bar without using that finger, or using it lightly, go for it!

Otherwise, this is one time when weights machines are very useful, lucku. No need for a good grip, just get your palms or feet on it and push. Try some workouts with machines.

Failing that, there's the good old bodywork, the pushups, squats and situps - the supine pullups you might not be able to do, but still.

Or take a couple of weeks to really slam into building up your cardio fitness.

Thx kyle!
if thats the case...
i'll continue my 5x5 routine...
love it! and dont wanna stop becoz of a small injury...
my weights are still light...
so i hope i would be able to control it :D
else like what you said...
i might have to head towards the machines :S

i tend not to train when i'm really sick as i lack the energy to complete a full session. i usually know if i'm coming down with something hardcore if i feel all lightheaded and sinusy. one time i hit the gym feeling like this, and it was like i hit a wall