• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What’s going on?

Let’s get rid of all these categories; bodybuilders, powerlifters, nutrition let’s keep it simple, coz it is, it should be a healthy endeavour, but more than ever this industry is full of corruption and criminals.

Let’s start talking truth, lifting is (to me) a very personal thing, whatever you do it works and works real fast, normally things slow down in terms of adaption and more often than not people believe doing more is better, which can work for some.

Looking back at past conversations is really fascinating most of them are based on “training” for something other than actually trying to become stronger in a safe healthy way.

The motivation is to be admired by others usually other men (creepy)

The motivation need to be deep, to come from you, it’s you against you.
The world is going to shit and it won’t be getting better, the thing to do now is to “stay tight” be prepared
What are you doing?

Yes.

Face up to it.

Things are not good. Everything is changing...a lot of it
changes before our eyes.
And yes, things were always changing but "animal faith" taught us that there was an evolution towards the good going on...I get no deep feeling that that is happening now. OK, I'm an old bastard my days might
indeed be numbered (big deal)... but in a very clear way the game is changing.

To survive... with the ability to think for myself and to grow and to feel is
very very important right now (especially with a culture that is working very
hard to get everyone to obey and to do what they are told to do...).

With the end of the traditional means where-by information was passed along
the "iron game"(I really hate to use that term...) has really changed... being part
of a group is in strong play now... surrendering self-responsibility by paying
somebody else to "supervise your training" and "help you get motivated" is
viewed as some kind of a good thing, when the art form has always been or should have been: YOU learning to get the most out of your-self...YOU being responsible for YOU and training being part of a very personal discipline where YOU gain responsibility and self-identity.

It's not talked about much
these days...BUT that's how I view it.

Finding "how things work" relative to training isn't hard to learn...you don't need experts or a leader or encouragement from someone else...nor do you need drugs or silly supplements... cut the crap...just do it.

The key relationship is between YOU and YOU.

YOU challenge your self... then YOU step up to the challenge... it's a way to train... it's a way to live.

YOU lead your own dance.

Seek information from others and where-ever you can find it, develop your ability to dig down inside your self AND GET THE MOST OUTTA YOU...

For those that have been slugging it out for the last 15 and over says a lot about how one views their own training

I see so many people my age , unfit, fat, unhealthy looking, it motivates me to train.

Mobility or lack there of is the main motivating factor.

@Goosey said something that still resonates for me.

Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

Cheers bloke.

If you think you NEED 70 sets/week for a muscle, you don’t know how to fucking train with any sort of intensity or focus

In the 1970's "fitness" came of age.

One of the major reasons was
the work done by Kenneth Cooper,M.D. His book "Aerobics" and its
systematic approach to fitness were a huge factor in "fitness"
being accepted by the mainstream public.

On the heels Dr. Cooper
came Arthur Jones and his Nautilus machines.

Jones' machines were very very important in helping establish strength training
as a part of the fitness movement.

The reason that this happened
was in part that Jones and the machines provided a "systematic approach" to weight training and nobody had ever successfully done that before.

Nautilus centers and the programs
in YMCA's, racquet clubs, schools, wellness centers and major health club chains provided easy access for weight training...the Nautilus way of recommended training provided short and effective workouts.

The staff at Nautilus Sports/Medical Industries provided training
information and all the answers about training.
Not only "fitness"
but "strength training" became a part of how the mainstream lived.

Now, many I benefitted from this phenomenon But the problem here
is that while the masses benefitted from a "complete system" "complete
sysyems" might not be the way to go...

Weight training is! first and most importantly a way to learn about your self.

"Complete systems"
seem to dilute that process.

Systems that "have all the answers"
leave little room for discovery of any kind... In fact, stay away from anybody who says he has all the answers.

Figure it out.

On the heels Dr. Cooper

was in part that Jones and the machines provided a "systematic approach" to weight training and nobody had ever successfully done that before.

in YMCA's, racquet clubs, schools, wellness centers and major health club chains provided easy access for weight training...the Nautilus way of recommended training provided short and effective workouts.

Not only "fitness"

"Complete systems"

leave little room for discovery of any kind... In fact, stay away from anybody who says he has all the answers.

Figure it out.

On the heels Dr. Cooper

Not only "fitness"

"Complete systems"

Figure it out.

Been reading your post for over a decade now, and errrm…..still no idea what you’re on about.
What’s a “complete system” supposed to be?

Been reading your post for over a decade now, and errrm…..still no idea what you’re on about.
What’s a “complete system” supposed to be?
The complete system was the circuit training created by nautilus of 12 machines that allegedly trained your entire body

The complete system was the circuit training created by nautilus of 12 machines that allegedly trained your entire body
I like nautilus machines, I fit into them quite well and they seem to be designed by someone who actually trained, but don’t see them anymore.
Like Panatta too.
Don’t like hammerstrenght though, big clumsy over engineered kunce.

“A complete system”
Is anything where a dude say follow this, like a collection of exercises, a certain number of set and rep’s or a diet

Nautilus offered certain sub protocols sort of designed for everyone but that doesn’t work, what works is working it out for yourself.
Sets
Reps
Exercises
Frequency
Diet

Nautilus offered certain sub protocols sort of designed for everyone but that doesn’t work, what works is working it out for yourself.
Sets
Reps
Exercises
Frequency
Diet
With this I agree.
I’ve always followed my own ideology in training. Was always one of the few here for whom the split worked better than the preferred or the more popular work outs the members followed here.
I’ve liked it for years, and after years, I still sort of follow it, but with a little more of an old kunce style.

I rarely see people use proper form on Nautilus it’s esoteric gone for good, a forgotten process
Take the preacher curl machine for example, name another brand that has free rotating hand grips, instead of them spinning in your hands.
Surety someone tried a few bicep curls in one and said, needs free spinning grips cos it’s grinding in my hands? But nope, not since the nautilus machines I’ve seen spinning grips, no matter how fancy looking they are.
Didn’t matter if it was the preacher machine or the seated alternating bic curl machine, they had spinning grips.
Why can’t any other manufacturer get this one simple piece right?

I like nautilus machines, I fit into them quite well and they seem to be designed by someone who actually trained, but don’t see them anymore.
Like Panatta too.
Don’t like hammerstrenght though, big clumsy over engineered kunce.
There’s a lot of good machines that nautilus designed and also a lot of crap ones the ones I’ve collected are the ones I like, nautilus, MedX and Hammer will never be fully understood as most people use them as a “barbell” that’s what I mean by “esoteric” the idea is that one must spend time in the fully extended and contracted positions under “full load” using a smooth constant rep speed (slower negative) to maximise the benefits of proper exercise.

If you don’t, then you’ll be better off just using the barbell.

The “cam” and in other similar equipment using leverage (hammer strength) multi link pulley systems ( MedX) enable the resistance to be constantly adjusting this method of exercise fatigues the worked muscles very quickly.

To be a true student of lifting one must read everything including it’s history it’s not until then that you will have the information needed to form your own opinion and truely find a method or system that will work for you, the longer you stick with the “system” the better the results

To be a true student of lifting one must read everything including it’s history it’s not until then that you will have the information needed to form your own opinion and truely find a method or system that will work for you, the longer you stick with the “system” the better the results
To stick with a system long term I need to enjoy the system, it’s the only way I have the motivation to keep it up for years on end.
In the past I forced myself to train different routines to try for better/ faster results and hated it, would rather swing a leg over a motorcycle or swing a golf club anytime.
The classic split I enjoy, so it’s the only reason I have continued to swing weights for 35+ years.
So even if I would finally discover what it is that works for me for best results, I wouldn’t last doing it long term if I didn’t enjoy the routine.
So I thiink this is the secret potion here.

Right now it’s a shit-show, things aren’t going to get better we’re closer to Mad Max than we’d like to think so the importance of the workout is even more important than ever, gotta stay alert gotta stay tight.
Regardless of whatever you’re doing if it feels right then it is, YOU keep at it until otherwise if you’re enjoying what you’re doing there’s really no need to lament whether there’s something else you could do.

The workouts gotta be YOU against YOU, YOU motivating YOU, it has nothing to do with anyone else.

The bodybuilding industry is rife with criminality its been made so complicated for a reason…

While we're on the topic of machines, I hate it when the biceps machines have the handles slightly pronated.