• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What Barbell is best for me?

ajs_rocks

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and interested in setting up a home gym!

I'm currently giving the stronglifts program a go and therefore my workout is based around Squats, Bench Press, BO Rows, Deadlifts and OH Press.

I'm really only interested in purchasing one bar so will need an all rounder.

Have looked at the again faster bar but not sure how it will go with squats as their is no centre knurling?

Can anyone recommend a bar to see me through this program?

Can Spend up to $500

Thanks

ABC bars get good reviews here

I believe [MENTION=4221]Sticky[/MENTION]; sells good bars too.

Australian Barbell Co will be your best bet.

Ask for the PTC or Cheese Grater knurl lol

I have been looking into getting an ABC barbell but it's almost impossible to get a straight answer to a number of simple questions out of them via email. I have given up on them at this stage.

The barbell sticky thread at the top of the page has a tonne of really good information in it, but it's quite a lot of reading.

I received my abc power bar with deep fine knurling the other week and am very happy with it for 500 including shipping to wa.

Yeah i've skimmed through most of the 51 pages but still just can't nail one down. Ill try and get more info on variations of the ABC bars but someone said i should be looking for an olympic bar not a powerlifting bar? Is this something to do with the knurling?

Some one can correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know it is to do with the placement of the marking rings, with a power bar having them 81cm apart, and i think the oly bars are slightly further, and also to do with the whip, with a power bar being a bit stiffer.

Yeah i've skimmed through most of the 51 pages but still just can't nail one down. Ill try and get more info on variations of the ABC bars but someone said i should be looking for an olympic bar not a powerlifting bar? Is this something to do with the knurling?

I am in the same boat mate. Heaps of choice out there, but hard to know for sure without having used them/having them side by side in front of me.

I am looking for a power bar, but I think (and I might be wrong?) you can have the knurling marked for both powerlifting and Olympic standards.

If you plan on doing the quick lifts - cleans and snatches. You're not going to enjoy using the power bar for that.

I believe it's a bad idea to throw around a powerlifting bar doing oly lifting if that's your plan (so I was told).

ohio_bar_th_1_1__96134.1371709362.700.300.jpg

Looks like a decent mid range bar for both power and oly lifts.

And fits your budget.

ROGUE OHIO BAR - PRE ORDER DUE EARLY AUGUST 2013 - Rogue Fitness Australia

I actually own an ABC BOP220 and a new model Pendlay Nexgen HD they are both lovely bars too.

If you can squeeze out an extra few hundred bucks you could always hit up jz (you will see in the thread he has dropped the price to $1000, so you might be able to negotiate lower :p):

Power Rack with chinup bar 213h x 117w x 95d
Bar 7ft knurling 38.5 cm apart
Bench 30w x 123l x 58h
Tricep bar 85cm length
weight tree

20kg x 8
10kg x 6
7.5kg x2
5kg x 10
2.5kg x 20
1.25kg x 9
.5kg x 4
Total 348.25kg

Selling as a package $1100 (probably cheaper than a year's membership at most gyms!)

Everything you need to get strong and fit right here. Located Sunshine Coast and is currently all assembled and will be sold pickup only. The weights are various brands but have all been sanded back and painted.

Reason for sale: starting a business and now require commercial grade equipment.