• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What do you consider as being "strong"?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
What do you think makes someone "strong"?

How would you define a strong person

Is it how much they can
Squat?
Dead lift?
Bench?
Pull ups?
Power Clean?
Press/
Power to weight ratio?

This thread is totally about personal opinion and is not a competition lol.

To me its about being good at all the big compound movements. Not the guys who can bench press 140 yet can only squat 80, that is not strong. Strong is someone who can do 30 chin ups, bench 100+, dead 200+, squat 150+ and so on. Also someone who is big and strong, not much point being big if you're not strong in my opinion.

Not really in the right section I think.

If he are talking bodybuilding coz its in the bodybuilding section - does not matter what you lift its how you look so I wouldnt even think about what weight bodybuilders are doing.

Its all about how much you weigh and how much you lift...if a 50kg girl can deadlift 150kgs then thats strong. If a 150kg man can squat 220kgs thats not strong.

Always about bodyweight to weight lifted.

For me, strong means lots of things.
As far as numbers go if you can do a 200kg deep squat, 150 paused bench, 250 deadlift I'd say your pretty strong.
Also 2.5x BW squat, 2x BW bench and 3x deadlift is bloody strong.

Then there's strong man......

Only lifting......

in general, how much a man can squat.

ive told people i go to the gym, first thing they ask is how much can you bench.... they should be asking how much can you squat. but thats just my opinion.

deadlifts are up there too.

I prefer deadlift strength to squat strength.
Sure you can hitch a dead, but I think it's the lift with the least amount of variables.

The amount of 1/4 squat "1rms" I've seen.......

Imo you can't really say your strong if you can lift X amount, or if you lift X times your body weight.

I guess it also depends on who your talking too.. working in a fairly physical job (laboring for a construction company) Ive occasionally been told im alot stronger then I look, lifting trusses beams etc with less effort then other guys but that comes down to me training... compared to your average Joe id consider my self reasonably strong, but compared to some of the lads from this site im far from strong :p

the majority of ppl probably wouldn't even know what a dead-lift or squat is ahaha

I'd say power to weight,

are we talking about strong compared to the general public or compared to lifters

if its the public then anyone who can 1x bw bench, 1.5x bw squat and 2x bw dead I would consider strong.

if my wife who is 55kgs could bench 55+ i would say she is strong and be impressed.

anything above that is even more impressive

The term "strong" is manifold, I side with brendon on this as I think the best way to describe strong is - "to do" strongman events best reflect this.

I also think that a man who looks strong isn't necessarily strong.

Naim Suleymanoglu at the 1988 Seoul Olympics, cleaning and jerking 10kg above triple bodyweight! HE weighed in at just under 60kg, and lifted 190kg! [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8R_qczqdHY&feature=related[/ame]

I know that you've only asked for "strength" Graeme, however I've giving you strength and speed combined, which goes to equal a very powerful lift indeed.

Fadi.

Last edited: