• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What do you consider as being "strong"?

I think the three elements used in strongman; strength, speed and aerobic conditioning to my mind represent true strength.
Now that's what I'm talking about Andy, thank you Sir.

Here's what I see when I look at a champion strongman: neurological strength, cardiovascular/respiratory strength, muscular strength, and to top it all off and bring all the elements together; I’d say strength, discipline, and the true control of one's mind.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Now that's what I'm talking about Andy, thank you.

Neurological strength, cardiovascular/respiratory strength, muscular strength, and to top it all off and bring all the elements together; I’d say strength and discipline of the mind.

Fadi.

You add class to this forum.

Lol at people saying strongman lifts are 'functional'

Cause I surely have to pull trucks and lift perfectly spherical stones all the time.

Imo the best test is the deadlift and the strict press.

Yeah but deadlifts and pressing ARE functional as they don't isolate muscles unnaturally like machines do.

Im sure you could pulll a truck or lift a rock better than most directly because of your compound lifts.

I would class that more as technically proficient at grappling, rather than being strong.

I should have added: 'and make it stick' ;)

As much as it is technical, some submissions require incredible amount of strength even though gracie made them look easy. Try submitting a dude who's 120-130kg when you're only 75-80kg. Or even keeping him on his back. Ah, I miss the early UFC days. Now we have this thing called weight classes. :)

It's kinda like asking 'how much money do you need to be called "rich"'

A poor person thinks having $100 in the bank is pretty rich

A millionaire thinks you have to have two private jets

Strong is putting in 110% effort into each and every training session, with the determination to become better than you are...those who can conjure up this mental strength will usually be awsome lifters, and generally good at every thing they aply themselves to.

It's kinda like asking 'how much money do you need to be called "rich"'

A poor person thinks having $100 in the bank is pretty rich

A millionaire thinks you have to have two private jets

this is so true...

atm what i feel for the heavier guys.

300+ raw squat
170+ raw bench
300+ deadlift.

Or epic power to weight ratio, watching daniel anderson form total strength bench more then me at half my weight in a single ply shirt, that takes skill and strength.

If there was a Wilk's type calculator for the PLs + o/h press + max chin weight that'd be how I would do it.

There's different types of strength as well. I'll use an AFL example (though the non-Vics might not get it) - Brent Staker can bench press than Jon Brown yet on field Brown makes Staker look like . . . well . . . a stake

Could do.
Don't think it'd be 100% accurate though . . .
I can remember people somewhere bitching about Wilk's being used for Bench press comps cos it favours heavier guys or some crap like that