• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What do you do differently when you try to cut down on the body fat%

kindred

Was wondering what different peoples stratagies are for when they have the muscle and need to get rid of the fat?

well man i stick tot he same exerices but i just cut out alot out of my food
i basiclaly just cut out all fast food, most dairy, soft drinks, beer, and i try to eat 1 third less bread then i usually eat..
its very slow but works for me

Reduce caloric intake is all I do and maybe an extra session of cardio if i can be bothered.

me i switch to a more protien rich (more than usual) diet. i change from 5 meals a day to 7 meals, all be it smaller meals than usual so i can keep my metabolic rate constant through out the day. i dont entirely eliminate carbs i try to have as little as possible though. i normally start the day off with a protien shake and 3 egg white omlette at about 6am then i try to eat every 2.5 hours making sure there is sufficient protien with each meal. i do cardio every second day for 30 min at 70% maximum heart rate 220- your age x.70 and vary the type of cardio i do weekly that way i can keep shocking my body.

Damn it i have gained all sorts of crazy weight. I dont know if its fat or muscle or a combo. Are body fat calipers worth getting? or are they still very unreliable.

Unless you know what you're doing, they are super unreliable.

Pretty easy to tell if it's fat or muscle you have gained. How do you look? Are you less lumpy and more lean and toned?

i remember i was at a bulking stage for almost up to 22 weeks of training, a year or 2 ago and lost the urge to train soon after. My calories went down and i started smoking again. i ate only 3-4 meals a day max not big but small , mostly tuna, fish yoghurts. I didnt train but obtained a nice ripped physique as if a tiger had clawed my arm and shredded my body with just pure muscle. i was smoking also which decreased my appetite, i had alot of compliments at the beach and people were quite amazed that when asked what my diet/exercises were i'd laugh and light a cigarette.
but im also naturally a skinny guy and the physique didnt last longer then 2 weeks !
haha

Yea I am a skinny dude too, and am currently in weight gain phase. putting on heaps of body fat which does my head in. body fat percentage has gone from below 10% up to almost 20%. did it at the wrong time of year. summer time should be for ripping not gaining!!

Wrong, your bodyfat percentage should tell you when to rip or gain be it summer winter autumn..whatever. No point in being a skinny dude just because it's summer.

But I think you misundertand me, Shrek. It helps if you try and time it right. If you know how long you generally take to gain a certain amount of body fat, then if you time it right you can give yourself enough time to cut it off for summer.

But you contradicted yourself. You said "I'm a skinny dude" then said "Up to 20% BF" which I would is not skinny. So are you fat or skinny?

BTW not that anyone is interested I decided to rev up my cardio alot so i guess thats what im doing thats different.

Ok Shrek so you just changed the topic and added a personal attack.

I am 174cm and weigh 65kgs. Does that sound fat to you? And I said "almost" 20%. It was actually 17%.

For a moderator, you are not very friendly and certainly not helpful. Aren't you supposed to be helping to promote a supportive and informative website? Because you are doing quite the opposite. You had a go at me in another thread this morning, and added absoultely no constructive feedback whatsoever.

Always enjoyed reading this forum but you are not doing a good job in keeping people informed and interested.

Last edited:
Ok Shrek so you just changed the topic and added a personal attack.

I am 174cm and weigh 65kgs. Does that sound fat to you? And I said "almost" 20%. It was actually 17%.

For a moderator, you are not very friendly and certainly not helpful. Aren't you supposed to be helping to promote a supportive and informative website? Because you are doing quite the opposite. You had a go at me in another thread this morning, and added absoultely no constructive feedback whatsoever.

Always enjoyed reading this forum but you are not doing a good job in keeping people informed and interested.

He didn't attack you - he asked a question - the question was simple - why overwork small muscles and neglect others that are bigger. Especially since its well known that working legs/back actually helps you build more upper body strength and helps speed up overall gain.

Then here you make a contradictory statement - I'm skinny and almost 20% body fat - which doesn't add up. You could have said - I have a small frame but I'm not toned and out of proportion or you could have said I'm still small but have put on a gut or you could have said I don't look fat but the way I'm measuring says I'm almost 20% is that right.

How did you measure body fat?

How do you look in the mirror atm?

What are you trying to achieve?

So far you've just used the "I want upper body so no legs" warcry that every lazy ill-informed noob seems to spout (me included when i started years ago - hell thats what everyone told me to do). Eventually you will realise that in life there are people who will be nice and tell you nothing - and people who are straight up and sound harsh - but actually help you. The sooner you realise this the better off you will be.