• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What do you eat after a workout when trying to lose weight?

Oilucy

I am trying to drop 3-5kg and am predominantly doing weight training with cardio (interval sprints) mixed in. The sprints are either as short session after a weights session or a longer session on a day by itself that I am not doing any weights.
My problem is that I am starving after I do either, but especially when I run.
Given I am trying to monitor my calorie intake, what could I consume post workout to prevent hunger pains and provide energy?

How much water do you drink?
Do you have a snack between meals?

And, drop the cardio and increase the intensity of your weight workouts.

^^^
Yep, keep the rest periods short, keep the heart rate up and you'll sweat like a horse.
Eat protein after.

Post workout? Should it really change whether you're trying to lose weight or gain. Still need to refuel the muscles. Just less calories throughout the day?

And, drop the cardio and increase the intensity of your weight workouts.

Why would you do this?? What would be the advantage/point in dropping HIIT workouts while trying to lose weight?? HIIT is probably the most effective form of exercise for general weight loss.

If anything I would be increasing HIIT work. Look at may be doing different HIIT workouts, burpees, sprints, bike riding, box jumps, skipping, rowing, farmers walk, tire flipping etc etc vary your exercises so you don't suffer from over use and/or boredom.

May be have two sessions on non weight days (AM and PM session) and one session on weight training days.

Eat what you like but personally I would be sticking to a high protein snack, may be an egg, or some salmon, tuna, protein shake, minute steak, mice meat, chicken drum sticks etc depends on what you like and what would satisfy your needs.

Last edited:
I am trying to drop 3-5kg and am predominantly doing weight training with cardio (interval sprin xed in. The sprints are either as short session after a weights session or a longer session on a day by itself that I am not doing any weights.My problem is that I am starving after I do either, but especially when I run.Given I am trying to monitor my calorie intake, what could I consume post workout to prevent hunger pains and provide energy?
Sounds like deficit is to big.... Increase weight training and reduce cardio on same diet... Or eat a little more and maintain current training...

Why protein?

My guess would be that it contains amino acids required for repair after a workout, and that it seems to satisfy more that a can of coke.

On another point what would you suggest, as you appear to happily criticise but offer no alternative or reason for your criticism.

What's the opinion on this?

1.carbs for muscle growth
2. protein for muscle repair

Carbs do not make muscles grow they simply replenish glycogen stores, I believe the OP was referring to weight loss, carbs are not required or essential for weight loss, they can however be useful in spiking insulin and assist in the transport of protein into the muscles.

If I was aiming to lose weight I would personally use a low carb high protein diet.

Carbs are great on a cut. Getting in enough carbs keeps your energy and strength up during workouts which allows you to keep as much muscle as possible on a cut. Eating carbs also reduces the signals for muscle breakdown. They sound good you ask me.

My guess would be that it contains amino acids required for repair after a workout, and that it seems to satisfy more that a can of coke.On another point what would you suggest, as you appear to happily criticise but offer no alternative or reason for your criticism.
Not sure where I was being critical... No one has given valid reason for protein straight after workout.. was simply asking reason...