• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What do you eat after a workout when trying to lose weight?

Carbs do not make muscles grow they simply replenish glycogen stores, I believe the OP was referring to weight loss, carbs are not required or essential for weight loss, they can however be useful in spiking insulin and assist in the transport of protein into the muscles.If I was aiming to lose weight I would personally use a low carb high protein diet.
Protein spikes insulin same as high GI carbs

Remembering people.... It's the total you eat over the day week... And not one particular Meal on it's own..

Last edited:
What's the opinion on this?1.carbs for muscle growth2. protein for muscle repair
For training purposes there is a window after post workout for increased glycogen uptake... Therefore there are potential benefits derived from carbs straight after excercise... If you are training multiple days in a row that is...

What's the opinion on1.carbs direcyle growth2. protein for muscle repair[/there a]For training purposes there is a window after post workout for increased glycogen uptake... Therefore there are potential benefits derived from carbs straight after excercise... If you are training multiple days in a row...

in the early 90s I read about the 30 minute "glycogen window", even before I read about the 30 minute "protein window"!

in the early 90s I read about the 30 minute "glycogen window", even before I read about the 30 minute "protein window"!

Poor fats missed out.

I think carbs and protein after straight after workout is more important for multiple training sessions in the one day.

Doing gym sessions multiple days in a row are unlikely to be strenuous enough to make much of a difference.

Here is 2
1. Amino acids
2. Get to eat more for the came calories :)
Ets why I swing towards protein rather than carbs.

Remember when the AFL/VFL players used to always eat Snakes (lollies) after a match. Now its Powerade or Gatorade. Not sure how much of that is electrolyte and hydration related or sponsorship requirements. Probably a bit of both?

They are somewhat endurance athletes.

Seems to me that the OP needs to look at the whole day's intake and it's not an issue of what is being had straight after training.

If you are continually starving, you may simply be eating too little to start with.

All depends on your macros/kcals, and how much you are training, [MENTION=14929]Oilucy[/MENTION];

Agree with CCM.

Latest research from Alan Aragon and Brad Schoenfield http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

Distilling the data into firm, specific recommendations is difficult due to the inconsistency of findings and scarcity of systematic investigations seeking to optimize pre- and/or post-exercise protein dosage and timing. Practical nutrient timing applications for the goal of muscle hypertrophy inevitably must be tempered with field observations and experience in order to bridge gaps in the scientific literature. With that said, high-quality protein dosed at 0.4–0.5 g/kg of LBM at both pre- and post-exercise is a simple, relatively fail-safe general guideline that reflects the current evidence showing a maximal acute anabolic effect of 20–40 g [53,84,85]. For example, someone with 70 kg of LBM would consume roughly 28–35 g protein in both the pre- and post exercise meal. Exceeding this would be have minimal detriment if any, whereas significantly under-shooting or neglecting it altogether would not maximize the anabolic response.
Due to the transient anabolic impact of a protein-rich meal and its potential synergy with the trained state, pre- and post-exercise meals should not be separated by more than approximately 3–4 hours, given a typical resistance training bout lasting 45–90 minutes. If protein is delivered within particularly large mixed-meals (which are inherently more anticatabolic), a case can be made for lengthening the interval to 5–6 hours. This strategy covers the hypothetical timing benefits while allowing significant flexibility in the length of the feeding windows before and after training. Specific timing within this general framework would vary depending on individual preference and tolerance, as well as exercise duration. One of many possible examples involving a 60-minute resistance training bout could have up to 90-minute feeding windows on both sides of the bout, given central placement between the meals. In contrast, bouts exceeding typical duration would default to shorter feeding windows if the 3–4 hour pre- to post-exercise meal interval is maintained. Shifting the training session closer to the pre- or post-exercise meal should be dictated by personal preference, tolerance, and lifestyle/scheduling constraints.
Even more so than with protein, carbohydrate dosage and timing relative to resistance training is a gray area lacking cohesive data to form concrete recommendations. It is tempting to recommend pre- and post-exercise carbohydrate doses that at least match or exceed the amounts of protein consumed in these meals. However, carbohydrate availability during and after exercise is of greater concern for endurance as opposed to strength or hypertrophy goals. Furthermore, the importance of co-ingesting post-exercise protein and carbohydrate has recently been challenged by studies examining the early recovery period, particularly when sufficient protein is provided. Koopman et al [52] found that after full-body resistance training, adding carbohydrate (0.15, or 0.6 g/kg/hr) to amply dosed casein hydrolysate (0.3 g/kg/hr) did not increase whole body protein balance during a 6-hour post-exercise recovery period compared to the protein-only treatment. Subsequently, Staples et al [53] reported that after lower-body resistance exercise (leg extensions), the increase in post-exercise muscle protein balance from ingesting 25 g whey isolate was not improved by an additional 50 g maltodextrin during a 3-hour recovery period. For the goal of maximizing rates of muscle gain, these findings support the broader objective of meeting total daily carbohydrate need instead of specifically timing its constituent doses. Collectively, these data indicate an increased potential for dietary flexibility while maintaining the pursuit of optimal timing.

Get good veggies in afterwards, a spinach salad (with minimal non fatty dressing) is great because you can eat a lot of it and it is very low in calories. Fiber filled veggies will help you stay fuller longer and refuel you. Protein like grilled chicken with nothing on it is great for post workout and I would also suggest a glass of milk (if you like it or can drink it)...fill up on water throughout the day and night!

Post workout? Should it really change whether you're trying to lose weight or gain. Still need to refuel the muscles. Just less calories throughout the day?

What this guy said

The weights should always be heavy
Eat at a -500 calorie deficit
Your training and other activity during the day might burn another 600+
Sleep well
Drink plenty of water
Don't rely on fat-burners and fads to drop the bodyfats spend your money on gym fees and lean meats and veggies.
Be patient

Remember when the AFL/VFL players used to always eat Snakes (lollies) after a match. Now its Powerade or Gatorade. Not sure how much of that is electrolyte and hydration related or sponsorship requirements. Probably a bit of both?

They are somewhat endurance athletes.

Most will now have coconut water/protein afterwards now.

Always has been and prob always will be - 2-3 scoops of Wpi/wpc after training

Potato rice chicken capsicum passata sauce, sri lankan curry powder carrot

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk