• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What exercise is doing my shoulder in?

Alpha Moth

I can't decide if its the deadlift that's irritating it, or the back squat. I haven't done either of these exercises because they aggravated it in the past and i couldnt figure it out why, so i dropped it and my shoulder pain went away. I went back to try them again today, and the pain came back.

It doesn't feel like an impingement, it feels like it happens when I externally rotate, or place a load onto my shoulders e.g. for a calf raise in a machine.

Any ideas?

edit: i was also thinking of using one of those manta ray shoulder things on the bar as to take away the stress from my shoulder joint, would this hinder me in the future? I am keen to get stronger on my squat again

Last edited:
Watch this, the guy is full on but is the best in the business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tx_qGl_L74

My favorite way to clear up my shoulder impingements is to lie down on the floor with a golf / cricket / hockey ball between my front delt and the floor. Find the spot that hurts and continue to lie on it until you can feel those muscles begin to release.

Watch this, the guy is full on but is the best in the business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tx_qGl_L74

My favorite way to clear up my shoulder impingements is to lie down on the floor with a golf / cricket / hockey ball between my front delt and the floor. Find the spot that hurts and continue to lie on it until you can feel those muscles begin to release.

As mentioned

Or Athlete development on INSTA

He is good also

I dare say its the back squat and the position of your arms stretching back to grip the bar is causing you the grief

try front squats... and trap bar deadlifts/squats

Trap bar has your arms in a more neutral position at the side of your body instead of at the front so the shoulder shouldn't be rotated forward or back like in a BB deadlift or back squat.

try front squats... and trap bar deadlifts/squats

Trap bar has your arms in a more neutral position at the side of your body instead of at the front so the shoulder shouldn't be rotated forward or back like in a BB deadlift or back squat.

good call, the trap bar lift is a great alternative.