• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What got you hooked?

Rugby88

I have Ep1c Calendar kunce
What got you hooked on bodybuilding?

A Magazine
A Picture
A Video
A supplement

What was it that got you hooked.....

For me it was a picture of Luke Wood in a Max's Hydroxy Phase+ Protein add in Ironman Magazine....from then on 1. I wanted that supplement (Still came in those cool old school tins at that point) and 2. I wanted to look like him/get as big as possible.

A guy I worked with was big, I mean really big at 100+kg and resasonable lean. Until then I was happy being a 57kg totally awesome dude like this:

image001.jpg

Still I don't think Im hooked, I can quit anytime... ;)

Not bodybuilding but I got hooked on the challenge of lifting heavier. As a bonus I found it the easiest way to grow muscle. Then eat to a calorie level so that muscle isn't hidden under 6 inches of fat.

I just wanted to look like Arnold, 20 years later I'm still trying, just that these days I'm a bit more realistic about the likely hood of success.

Well I am not really hooked as of today but if I'll be someday, I guess that would be the fear of being too small or too weak to be dependable.

A guy I worked with was big, I mean really big at 100+kg and resasonable lean. Until then I was happy being a 57kg totally awesome dude like this:

image001.jpg

Because its your dog...

image001.jpg

Great Movie!!! Road trip.

What got me hooked?
I weighed 71kg. 6ft tall. One day I saw a photo of myself at the beach. LOL. Skinny fat.

From then the whole lifting heavier took over. Still want to go alot heavier.

My grandad was a beast, like typical old school thickness. Even at 80 does 50 chin ups and 50 push ups a day. He just always used to tell me about his eating stories and i wanted to eat like that because it sounded fun and he told me you need to train hard to be able to eat lots.

What got you hooked?
I’m not now and never was hooked on bodybuilding, or even Olympic weightlifting for that matter, my addiction is the iron itself!

Even after 34 years of training with weights, I would not and could not say that a particular person has gotten me hooked at a particular moment in time. Sure, I was asked to lift an Olympic weightlifting bar at 15 by the person who became my weightlifting coach, but he was merely the person who introduced me to the weights (literally speaking). However I can honestly say that I'm hooked on the weights in and of themselves. The weights have become my trusted friends over the years, and a wonderful tool that when respected and used properly, can become an extension of you, a positive partner that adds quality to your life.

Fadi.

The general idea that a healthier body leads to a healthier mind.
I was overweight and lacked confidence in everyday life.
A new gym opened down the road from my school and I jumped on the opportunity.
Honestly the best thing I ever did, it's changed my life.

I’m not now and never was hooked on bodybuilding, or even Olympic weightlifting for that matter, my addiction is the iron itself!

Even after 34 years of training with weights, I would not and could not say that a particular person has gotten me hooked at a particular moment in time. Sure, I was asked to lift an Olympic weightlifting bar at 15 by the person who became my weightlifting coach, but he was merely the person who introduced me to the weights (literally speaking). However I can honestly say that I'm hooked on the weights in and of themselves. The weights have become my trusted friends over the years, and a wonderful tool that when respected and used properly, can become an extension of you, a positive partner that adds quality to your life.

Fadi.

Very well said Fadi.

I'd agree that I just love lifting things (including bw stuff). Not tied to any particular aspect of it.

I'm still not convinced that it's this fountain of youth, health or this magic tonic, found that it helps with bone density, mobility, strength and keeps the skin looking young.
but on the flip side, joints hurt, body is often fighting inflammation, flexibility is sacrificed, large volumes of food are consumed, body is subject to fluctuations in weight, heart has to pump a longer distance, comfort is sacrificed, cramps occur and daily little niggles related to heavy lifting.
so I don't think it's just a one way ticket in the positive direction, has pros and cons.
Having said that, I don't plan to quit until they nail my coffin, might even get them to throw a dumbell in there with me.

I think most of those negatives you listed can be avoided by training smarter, listening to your body and getting your ego in check.

I'm still not convinced that it's this fountain of youth, health or this magic tonic, found that it helps with bone density, mobility, strength and keeps the skin looking young.
but on the flip side, joints hurt, body is often fighting inflammation, flexibility is sacrificed, large volumes of food are consumed, body is subject to fluctuations in weight, heart has to pump a longer distance, comfort is sacrificed, cramps occur and daily little niggles related to heavy lifting.
so I don't think it's just a one way ticket in the positive direction, has pros and cons.
Having said that, I don't plan to quit until they nail my coffin, might even get them to throw a dumbell in there with me.

With you on this one mate. Perhaps it's coz I'm older too that I can relate to all of the above.

Mind of a 25 yo body of a 38 yo type thing?

Still able to lift chit with the younger kids coming through but my rebound is just not what it used to be so even with the odd day off and R&R, my body feels it more for longer than it used to.

, getting your ego in check.

Have you gone mad???

With you on this one mate. Perhaps it's coz I'm older too that I can relate to all of the above.

Mind of a 25 yo body of a 38 yo type thing?

Still able to lift chit with the younger kids coming through but my rebound is just not what it used to be so even with the odd day off and R&R, my body feels it more for longer than it used to.

Spot on, a lot of us here try to build our muscles to and beyond our genetic potential, it simply cannot be all benefits without some sacrifices.
Like we discussed somewhere else, its like give and take, the ying and yang, the ping and the pong and the ding and the dong.
You wif me bro?

Have you gone mad???
I'm refering to trying to lift the heaivest, eating the most, having the longest training sessions, etc. Almost like some people are trying really hard to prove something to others. Listening to your body and sometimes backing off will have its benefits.