• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What olympic set to get?

Personally I'd get the best value for money pack if you're doing it on the cheap as it's not like you're going to see much difference in quality :p

The 20kg & 25kg will be the same height just different thickness.

If you can stretch your budget a bit the best thing you can do is buy a nicer barbell from ABC or AKB for $400-$600, then buy cheap weights. The bar is the important thing, weight is weight (unless we're talking about bumper plates where they will be thrown around in which case you'll want to spend on the complete package).

I have owned a barbell & weights from gymdirect before and they do the job. I threw mine around a bit and ended up bending the bar, but if you look after it it won't just break on you (and if it does I'm pretty sure gymdirect give you a 12month warranty on all their products).

One thing I'd suggest when your bar arrives get the scale out and weigh it so you know how much it actually weighs and you're not cheating yourself on PB's :p. My cheap 7' bar only weighed 18.5kg, not 20kg. My mates one only weighed 16.4kg LOL.

-mike

Would the 20kg be lower in height than the 25kg?
No.

Rubber or metal? It's a preference thing. I like metal d/bells but rubber plates for b/bell work. Used both with the only advantage metal has over rubber (for me) is the "musical" sound they make when they rub together

Fadi.

I'm about to buy 402kg worth of used oly plates tomorrow for 700 dollars, is that a good deal?? considering 195kg + bar is $745 new..

I'm about to buy 402kg worth of used oly plates tomorrow for 700 dollars, is that a good deal?? considering 195kg + bar is $745 new..
Is that a rhetorical question? Of course that's a bloody good deal. I work on about $3 per kg for rubber plates so 402kg for $700 is a steal.

Cheers,
Mike

Your getting ripped off mate, DO NOT BUY.
However, please send me the sellers contact details :p

I'm about to get my bar now.

Out of these choices, what is the best? I'm willing to spend an extra 50 dollars on thrust bearings if it's really worth it?

7 foot Olympic Barbell - 1500lbs - THRUST BEARINGS

or
220cm Olympic Barbell (700lbs)

I'm leaning towards the first option, are thrust bearings a good choice?
thanks

or is the MM thrust bearings one better? 220cm Olympic Barbell_Thrust Bearing_Rated 600kg

with that one form gymdirect i'd get a 10% discount, so a 22 dollar saving lol.

I just got the MM 220cm thrust-bearings at 600kg from gymdirect. I'm not throwing the bar around, so i think it will be ok.

Last edited by a moderator: