• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What to look for in Pre workout supps

Hi all,

Im looking to start using some extra supps, and im thinking a pre workout shake might be the go.

I currently only use AST Vp2 as a post workout protein.

So im not asking specifically which one is for me cause i know they are all different.

But what do I look for, what are the key ingredients that are gonna help me have a great workout? Which are maybe the best brands to stick with? And are there any other supps I should know about?

Any tips would be great.

Thanks!

Buy Creatine, Beta Alanine and some L-Tyrosine, that will give you a good wrokout.

I guess it depends on how much effort you're willing to go through to get the most out of specific products as well as $$$..

Most preworkout supps on the market of your typical supplement store will most likely contain a lot of crap that doesn't do anything while still paying way too much. E.g. Some companies put creatine in their products, but when you break down the amount of creatine that is in the actual product you could be paying anywhere near 5x the actual cost of pure creatine.

As I said, if you're willing to go through the effort I would recommend grasping a bit of knowledge into the ingredients that are actually beneficial in a preworkout supp. I'd recommend searching up Ian McCarthy's video on YouTube about preworkout supplements.

Otherwise, from personal experience I've found that 1m.r by bpi had a massive stimulant effect on me when I tried it (so much so that I had to reduce the serving size by half when I would take it). I've also heard good reviews about bulk nutrients' preworkout formula.

P.s. sorry about the long post. I'm just talking from experience as I was once one of those people who fell for every single supplement hype. I just wish I had known what I know now so that I wouldn't have blown so much $$ on crap.

Eman, there is a lot to look out for here but it comes down to having a good, long, hard look at the ingredient list.

Most pre workout supps these days contain a lot of stimulants, they are very cheap to put together (assuming there is not a lot else in there) however as stimulants meet a major part in why someone takes a pre workout product, many consider them essential ingredients.

If you are purely looking for a stimulamnt and that is sole reason you take the prodct then have a think about using pure DMAA such as what we offer here:
1,3 - DIMETHYLAMYLAMINE (DMAA) - 5G
For $19 you are egtting 200 doses, so this represents extremely good vakue for money.

If you are considering a product as you want the benefit of certain aminos, creatine, arginine, beta alananine (which all provide various benefits in strength, increased endurance, N.O effect) then best ensure that these products are in there.
It does pay to look in a bit more detail and to do some searches though as although many supps contain these, they do so in such low doses that they are unlikely to have any effect.
It is always good to look at a products label, confirm how much of a key ingredient is in each dose and then do a google search from there.

As an example, most people take at least 2.5g of Beta Alanaine if they use this before training, Arginine (or AAKG, Arginine Ethyl Ester) is dosed similarly, and once you throw in Creatine you are looking at near a 10g serve.
This is the biggest issue I have with most of the new ultra concentrated formulas, they simply don't offer enough of the aminos to make them worthwhile, so you are effectively getting a stim kick.
As above, if you want a stim kick you may as well save your money and get pure caffeine or DMAA.

The Pre Workout NT we sell is (as far as I am concerned) about as complete, pure and potent as a pre workout supplement gets.
Each 10g dose has plenty of beta alanaine, citrulline malate, aakg and creatine in it, in fact it is 97% amino acids where most others are less than 70%.

At $25 for 250g it represents very good value for money compared to any of the popular U.S products.
PRE WORKOUT POWDER NT - 250G

Eman, there is a lot to look out for here but it comes down to having a good, long, hard look at the ingredient list.

Most pre workout supps these days contain a lot of stimulants, they are very cheap to put together (assuming there is not a lot else in there) however as stimulants meet a major part in why someone takes a pre workout product, many consider them essential ingredients.

If you are purely looking for a stimulamnt and that is sole reason you take the prodct then have a think about using pure DMAA such as what we offer here:
1,3 - DIMETHYLAMYLAMINE (DMAA) - 5G
For $19 you are egtting 200 doses, so this represents extremely good vakue for money.

If you are considering a product as you want the benefit of certain aminos, creatine, arginine, beta alananine (which all provide various benefits in strength, increased endurance, N.O effect) then best ensure that these products are in there.
It does pay to look in a bit more detail and to do some searches though as although many supps contain these, they do so in such low doses that they are unlikely to have any effect.
It is always good to look at a products label, confirm how much of a key ingredient is in each dose and then do a google search from there.

As an example, most people take at least 2.5g of Beta Alanaine if they use this before training, Arginine (or AAKG, Arginine Ethyl Ester) is dosed similarly, and once you throw in Creatine you are looking at near a 10g serve.
This is the biggest issue I have with most of the new ultra concentrated formulas, they simply don't offer enough of the aminos to make them worthwhile, so you are effectively getting a stim kick.
As above, if you want a stim kick you may as well save your money and get pure caffeine or DMAA.

The Pre Workout NT we sell is (as far as I am concerned) about as complete, pure and potent as a pre workout supplement gets.
Each 10g dose has plenty of beta alanaine, citrulline malate, aakg and creatine in it, in fact it is 97% amino acids where most others are less than 70%.

At $25 for 250g it represents very good value for money compared to any of the popular U.S products.
PRE WORKOUT POWDER NT - 250G

Mate, that pretty much sums up what I wanted to know.

Ill look into the product you linked.

Thanks for your input.

Nick