• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What's the best way to increase your grip?

davidb0312

I really want to increase my grip, when doing deadlifts I find it hard to keep a hold of the bar itself (the weight is fine). I use gloves and that makes so real diff IMO, guess I could try those straps but I'd probably look like a bit of a tool using them seeing as I don't lift that much as yet.

What do you suggest, are those hand grippers any good or should i do some forearm exercises at the gym?

thanks

I really want to increase my grip, when doing deadlifts I find it hard to keep a hold of the bar itself (the weight is fine). I use gloves and that makes so real diff IMO, guess I could try those straps but I'd probably look like a bit of a tool using them seeing as I don't lift that much as yet.

What do you suggest, are those hand grippers any good or should i do some forearm exercises at the gym?

thanks

You've already answered your own question; use straps. Now using straps does not improve your grip, but it does help you with hanging on to the weight effortlessly. As an Olympic weightlifter I used straps when heavy pulling or when doing exercises like halt-deadlifts, and clean and/or snatch from the hang (and of course when explosively shrugging 200kg). So you see, it's not about looking like bit of "tool" or any such thing. You're in the gym for a purpose and that's all there is to it.

Fadi.

You've already answered your own question; use straps. Now using straps does not improve your grip, but it does help you with hanging on to the weight effortlessly. As an Olympic weightlifter I used straps when heavy pulling or when doing exercises like halt-deadlifts, and clean and/or snatch from the hang (and of course when explosively shrugging 200kg). So you see, it's not about looking like bit of "tool" or any such thing. You're in the gym for a purpose and that's all there is to it.

Fadi.

Thanks guys, I'll look into all those things.

When I said look like a tool, I meant I'd look like one because I'm not lifting very much weight...and so shouldn't need any help from straps, but if you think they will surely help then I will just grab a pair, they seem inexpensive.

mixed grip and chalk, loose the gloves.

farmers walks, and fat bars will help with grip over time

Just looked up what u meant by fat bars and I think you're onto something, the thickness of the bar seems to be an issue and I think that makes it even harder for me, so I think straps or those silicone grips (maybe not for deadlifts) could be a great help.

Well it depends. Do you want to actually build a stronger grip or do you not care about your grip and just want something, like straps, to hold onto the bar for you?

Well it depends. Do you want to actually build a stronger grip or do you not care about your grip and just want something, like straps, to hold onto the bar for you?

hi bazza, wouldn't mind either, preferrably both..if that makes sense, happy to use straps now while I build up some grip strength.

Well straps allow you to pretty much hold on to any weight but won't really build your grip strength. Which there is nothing wrong with that if that's what your after.

Now if you want to hold onto a bar doing deadlifts without straps. First, use chalk then use either mixed grip or hook grip as they are both miles stronger than double overhand grip.

Then to build your grip keep it simple. Just hold onto a bar double overhand grip for as long as you can. The best way to do it is to set up in the power rack with the bar above you knees and pick a weight and hold into the bar for as long as possible.

sounds like the bar is slipping? Chalk works great. Sucks if your gym won't let you (just sneak it in and hide it)