• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

When does your grip on a bar give? What was it originally?

jj80

I mean double overhand. What is/was your grip like and how did you strengthen it?

I find 200kg hard to hang on to but I can, just, for about 5-10 seconds. Using double overhand / not locking thumb/index finger style grip.

Did some rack pulls today at 200kg, 180kg, 160kg, well above my deadlift weight. Mainly just to work on my grip!

Never really done anything to strengthen it apart from holding onto a heavy bar.

Have done 200kg double overhand but never bothered trying higher.

Did do 200kg one handed hook grip for a bit of a laugh.

At times I rip the bar out of my hands at 160, not sure why, maybe fatigued my grip handling my wop.

My grip always strengthens with heavy farmers walk and axle work/rolling thunder. Never had luck with grippers for improving barbell grip strength.

Yep I can close CoC 2.5 and got 3 within 1mm but need to work on barbell grip. Farmers walks and some rack pulls/holds should do it.

Double overhand 120kg,

i am trying to strengthen it for double over as alternate grip places too much stretch on the Bicep for my liking.

PS: Farmers carry has strengthen my grip heaps, I find.
Also the KLOKOV Plate flips are great.

I find that the "weak link" is the little finger
I get a bulldog clip and open and close it between my pinkie and thumb, doing reps like that at work

They don't think it be like it is but it do

My grip strength far exceeds my body strength, but I'd recommend Powercleans, farmers walks, static DB holds, going DOH on deadlifts as far as you can through your warm ups.
Don't use straps, and rack pulls and rows help too.

My double overhand is pathetic. Maybe 170/180.
Mixed I can comfortably hang on to 240+ most of the time.

Andy bolton had a recent newsletter about this. He said that grippers where useless.

Anything that involves hanging on tight. Plate holds are a killer. I find that heavy shrugs work my grip like crazy. We have a crappy shrug machine with no grips on the handles. My grip fails well before my traps.

http://www.andyboltonstrength.org/2011/05/27/the-truth-about-grip-training/

Just a heads up: Gillingham does lift with a double overhand grip, but its an oly grip, not a "normal" overhand grip. You can see him in Melbourne in April at the Nats.