• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Whey protien

white lion

Just wondering how much whey protien to take ?, I have read 1.5 grams per pound of lean mass , Also can you cause problems by taking too much ?

can you cause problems by taking too much ?

You should be taking whey protein in moderation, and depending on your daily target intake.

In terms of ideal daily protein intake, you are looking at somewhere around 1.5g of protein per kg (recommended by most studies).

More protein does not necessarily mean bigger muscle size. In fact, too much protein can lead to excess calories = fat. Other unwanted side effects include kidney problems.

Other unwanted side effects include kidney problems.
Incorrect.

Dietary protein intake and renal function

'While protein restriction may be appropriate for treatment of existing kidney disease, we find no significant evidence for a detrimental effect of high protein intakes on kidney function in healthy persons'

http://www.emma-leigh.com/basics_calorie_needs.html

Protein Intake: Although most accurately based on LEAN MASS it is easiest just to set up a general starting point:
Protein (grams) = 1-1.5 x total weight (pounds).
If you are VERY LEAN or very LOW IN TOTAL CALORIE INTAKE then you need to stick to close to, or increase ABOVE, 1.5 x weight.... (eg: 2 x LEAN MASS)
If you are VERY OVERWEIGHT or VERY HIGH IN TOTAL CALORIE INTAKE then you should stick closer to, or decrease slightly BELOW 1 x weight (eg: 1 x LEAN MASS).

2.2 kilograms = 1 pound.... Also of note, these amounts have been adjust a little since Emma-leigh first explained them but they are still quite relevant for the most part.

Last edited:
Ya 1 kg = 2.2 pounds.

So if 1.5g per bodyweight in pounds is the recommendation, then thats 3.3g per kg.

Depends. Aim for 1.5g/kg as a minimum.

For me, when CHO are reduced, my protein intake creeps up to 2g-2.5g/kg.

Works best for me. Experiment with your body.

Incorrect.

Dietary protein intake and renal function

'While protein restriction may be appropriate for treatment of existing kidney disease, we find no significant evidence for a detrimental effect of high protein intakes on kidney function in healthy persons'

[

MaxBrenner, I would think it is a contentious issue - there are many studies that suggest for and against. Take for instance, Harvard Gazette: Too much protein may cause reduced kidney function, which recommends an analysis of kidney-function before embarking on a high protein diet (for the older folks, that is). Though I do acknowledge that most studies which recognise kidney damage as a potential side effect note that it is an issue that should mainly concern those with a reduced kidney function, kidneys that struggle to cope with hyperfiltration..

MaxBrenner, I would think it is a contentious issue - there are many studies that suggest for and against. Take for instance, Harvard Gazette: Too much protein may cause reduced kidney function, which recommends an analysis of kidney-function before embarking on a high protein diet (for the older folks, that is). Though I do acknowledge that most studies which recognise kidney damage as a potential side effect note that it is an issue that should mainly concern those with a reduced kidney function, kidneys that struggle to cope with hyperfiltration..
The only studies for are the ones looking at populations with existing kidney problems. Every credible study looking at healthy population have never suggested limiting protein intake nor a 'high' protein intake (1.2g/kg+) having a negative effect.

If you have a pre-existing or under-lying kidney problem, any regular blood test would have picked that up. Chances are you will be fully aware of it well before adulthood :)

Also, protein intake is not the sole contributing factor to kidney function and the ability to cope with hyperfiltration, as with most diseases there is a combination of factors that come into play.

As mentioned in that Meta-Analysis (a peer-review of a number of studies), 'In fact, studies suggest that hyperfiltration in response to various physiological stimuli is a normal adaptative mechanism'

:)