• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Which brand for weights?

S

Silhorn

Hi,
I have been training at a gym for the last couple of years and recently been thinking about maybe building myself gym equip to train at home.

I am looking at various OZ shops online to see what kind of plates they sell and i am stumped.

How do i know which plates are shit and which are good quality?

My gym has york, samson, and champion plates but i cannot find them for sale on any shop websites. And don't know how expensive they are.

I am pretty much looking for normal olympic plates, no need for bumper, rubber coated, colours, handles. Just ones that weigh what they are supposed to! and FITS on barbell.

So yeah, my question is, what brands do i have to look for?

Also, for your info, i live in NSW sydney. Price range no more than $80 for 20kg plate....

(printed measurements of pounds would be a big plus too, i like to work in pounds for weights)

I find the Muscle Motion weights I got from gymdirect to be great quality.

I'd go rubber weights, as cast iron plates rust, and bumper plates are too expensive for me.

And if you state you are a member of the board you get 10% off. Email them and tell them what you are looking at and see if they have a package.

price is variable as is quality he is a copy from a post i had last year

20 kg plates

gym and fitness 20kg rubber oly grip plates $59
ABC PORCB plates are $117.20, or $5.86/kg
ABC PORCG plates are $122.88 or $6.14/kg
ABC PORE# plates are $5 /kg ( its what my gym has,) only 400mm diam
garage gym black 20kg bumpers are $149.95
garage gym coloured 20kg bumpers are $244.95
A new 7 foot power bar is $563

For the others to compare the ABC 20kg oly plates, calibrated are $370.. each! the 10kg plates are $210

Gymandfitness have the best plates value for money. They're actually made by an australian company and seem to be exactly the same quality as the york ones I have (I literally cannot tell the difference between the plates).

Can anyone on this forum say if the ones from gymandfitness are different to the ones from gymdirect? the gymandfitness ones look solider.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies.

Anyone know where i can find full price list on ABC?

Oliver: Where did you get your york plates from? And how much?

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies.

Anyone know where i can find full price list on ABC?

Oliver: Where did you get your york plates from? And how much?

You have to contact ABC if you want their expensive prices, lol.

I dont think ABC are good value for a home gym. I called wayne once about buying from them (metal plates though) and he said the ordinary metal plates weren't commercial quality. The bumpers are awesome though, and the rubbers arnt that bad if you live in melbourne.

I got the york plates for 3.50 a kg (but free shipping) from a discontinued line. If you want the exact same plates order from gymandfitness - if you asked me to tell you which one of my plates are york and which ones are from gymandfitness I wouldnt know!

Oliver, you mean the olympic hammertones?
Also, have you ever weight your plates to see how much difference they are compared to whats printed?

One more thing, does anyone know how much thickness rubber coated adds to the plates?

Oliver, you mean the olympic hammertones?
Also, have you ever weight your plates to see how much difference they are compared to whats printed?

One more thing, does anyone know how much thickness rubber coated adds to the plates?

not sure what you mean by 'hammertones'. I think theyre a metal plate produced by muscle motion. I was refering to the rubbers.

I havent, but when i bought them i was told they weigh then regularly and they're usually close to spot on - maybe 100-200g out, but never over a kg. Thats the same with most gyms.

The rubber adds a fair bit of thickness, which is why I'd go with 25kg plates over 20s (less diameter per weight). Youd be able to fit 300kg on the bar that way, so it shouldnt be an issue unless your a world champion.