• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Who can do Muscle Ups?

The Hulk

Active Member, Site Advertiser
A muscle up is basically a pull up followed by a dip.

They look so easy when you watch some clips of strong and experienced people doing them, but if you've never done them, they are super tough.
You can do them on a bar or rings.

My goal is to do at least 1 rep !
Then move on to 10, 20 reps.
The trick seems to be to get your body high enough over the bar when finishing the pull up so you can get into position for the dip.
Helps to be lightweight or super strong here.
Gymnasts can do this so slow and smoothly it looks like it takes no effort at all.

I've just started training for this by doing lat pulldowns down to belly button level with 1/2 bodyweight and will start increasing weight slowly until I can get close to bodyweight, then I should be able to do a real muscle up....

My brother and I have played around with this. They are extremely hard and we only managed a few. I bet your Kip pull up style would lend itself to it though.

At the time we were both low 70's and could do quite a few variations of chin ups. I doubt I could do it now though.

Have you ever seen the bartendaz stuff on youtube Hulk? They only use chin up and dip bars and do some amazing stuff. Muscle ups are no issues at all for them.

Last edited:
Hi Josh,

I don't know if it was bartendaz, but I've watched a fair few of those ghetto style workouts where they just use street equipment and go to playgrounds and stuff and just dominate the bar...

Those guys have awesome physiques (upper body at least) and are so smooth with their movements.

Shows you don't need much equipment to build an awesome physique.

Not sure if they train legs though.

I don't know about legs, but it doesn't look like they do. Their upper bodies are impressive though.

My bro and I stumbled upon that stuff a bit over a year ago. At the time we used to pretty much do pull ups at the end of each training session. Those guys do so many combinations!

The impressive thing is they aren't lightweights and they do some amazing stuff.

[YOUTUBE]IMjFN-m2VOM[/YOUTUBE]

That vid is kind of shit. I am trying to find an old one we used to watch.

Edit: Here we go.

[youtube]SWs94Pu_kG4[/youtube]

Check what the guy does at 40 seconds, I was impressed! The stuff at 1.20 -2.00 is what we used to play around with. Check the one are chin ups at 1.30!!

Last edited:
Well yesterday I could not do muscle ups.
Today, I can do them!
Coach showed me how to do them on the rings.
Can do them easy now for 1 rep, but failed when I tried 2 reps in a row, as the false grip slipped.
Will have to work on strengthening my wrists in such an awkward position.

Next goal is to knock out 5 straight reps.

The false grip is the hardest part! Feels very unnatural. I worked on doing cable rows with the false grip to help strengthen my wrists.

When you first start trying them it is hard to keep your hands and arms even. You always want to do what that guy above does on his first rep.