• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Who here front squats?

I am doing them once per week; not as painful as back squats on my shoulder recovering from broken collarbone. Back squats kills my shoulder at moment.

I can't increase the weight high enough with my arms crossed (start sweating and they slide) and can't do the clean grip. So I've dropped them for now :<

Judgey - there have been links that show you how to do it using straps.

Also, have you tried clean grip using only 2 fingers?

kasi_front_squat_low_res.jpg

man
she is basically venus
she is actualy too hot. would prematureli ejacuate

thats how i do it. two fingers.

i wish my knees let me get down lower though, i only get a bit past parallel...

I will try the 2 finger technique :)D) and if not, have a look around for those links? I admit I didn't read through the first few pages of the thread.

Who here front squats? And what do you think of them?
I say if your back side is in balance with your legs (and not oversized), then I would just leave them out for Olympic weightlifters to do. Always take the more comfortable option and the one that carries less risk of injury. By comfortable I don't mean easy no, I mean more comfortable on your joints and the way the weight feels during the lift.

PS: I would use the same logic when I see people clean a weight (when they are not weightlifters), and they can very safely pull it, then front squat (or back squat it) if they wish. But I am very much against seeing people clean and risk a weightlifter's patellar tendon injury (amongst others).

Take home message: if you don't have to lift in a certain way, then don't!

Fadi.

Last edited:
I say if your back side is in balance with your legs (and not oversized), then I would just leave them out for Olympic weightlifters to do. Always take the more comfortable option and the one that carries less risk of injury. By comfortable I don't mean easy no, I mean more comfortable on your joints and the way the weight feels during the lift.

Take home message: if you don't have to lift in a certain way, then don't!

Fadi.

If not front squats then which exercise to help fix squatmornings? I seem to like front squats, but maybe its more comfortable because I lowered the weight.

When a back squat turns into a good morning because the hips go up but the bar doesn't move.

When a back squat turns into a good morning because the hips go up but the bar doesn't move.
How tall are you, and have you checked my avatar? You can lean forward that's not a problem for as long as certain principles are maintained. We're not all built the same, and everyone's mechanics are slightly different. If the bar resting high on your trapezius follows the centre (and invisible) line that would see it meet where the middle of your feet are and you're not lifting your heels and ending up on your toes to find balance, then you'd be fine.

Simply this: leaning forward does not automatically make a back squat wrong, even when it looks it.

Fadi.

I think whitty is taking about when people drive out of the bottom of the squat and their hips rise but the chest gets left behind

I think whitty is taking about when people drive out of the bottom of the squat and their hips rise but the chest gets left behind

Bingo. Chick behind me was doing exactly just that today, except it was so exaggerated that I thought she was doing GMs until my eyes drifted down and oggled her hips moving up and down perhaps 4.5 inches. lol. After this I started my front squats and she had a wtf look on her face, like I was doing it wrong for putting the bar in front. :rolleyes:

If not front squats then which exercise to help fix squatmornings? I seem to like front squats, but maybe its more comfortable because I lowered the weight.

Ankle and hip flexibility, usually it's a matter of not being flexible enough to hit positions

And front squats

I'm not 100% sold on front squats fixing this problem. My mrs has a great front squat but when she nears maximal loads on back squats her hips shoot up and she leaves her chest behind. Ankle and hip flexibility isn't as much of an issue for her compared to me (compared to me I'd say she has no issue!). I think it's more of a coaching point, similar to Deadlifts and cleans and the hips rising before the chest. That mixed with core strength.