• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why I dont deload my lifters

Isnt rotating exercises pretty much a deload by another name anyway? if my squat stalls so I go do safety bar squats for a bit isnt the lighter load of a more balance dependant safety squat simply going to give my body time to rest up?

If Markos stops Fat Dave back squatting for triples and moves him to front squats for triples is he working less hard, as hard or harder than before?

Bongo used a great example of contest prep.

Heres another.

A Bulgarian weightlifter was in the training hall the night before The Olympics. A reporter watched him break the World Record. At midnight.

He turned to his coach and asked why.

The coach looked a little puzzled, then simply replied

" To get stronger, of course"

I'll have to go through Milo to give you the exact names, but this shows there may be more than one way to get the job done.

All you guys suggesting that exercise rotation is deloading, how come NOBODY suggests that when whimpy guys squatting 80kg ask if they should deload like master rip suggests.

I see you all jumping off the softcockinit bandwagon and hoppin on the exercise merry go round lol

Look, you guys get my drift, I dont like half assed efforts in my gym, stay home, come back rested, simple.

If Markos stops Fat Dave back squatting for triples and moves him to front squats for triples is he working less hard, as hard or harder than before?

Front squats dont cause as much CNS stress as a backsquat thats for sure.

A Bulgarian weightlifter was in the training hall the night before The Olympics. A reporter watched him break the World Record. At midnight.

He turned to his coach and asked why.

The coach looked a little puzzled, then simply replied

" To get stronger, of course"

1. OL lifters are under the bar for seconds with no negative. That average Jos gym who are like the kings of volume dont deadlift for this reason.
2. You're comparing a soviet bloc country where people play sports to rise above economic constraints to one where people play sports for fun/health.
3. The pyramid schemes soviet countries operated with meant that athletes were expendable.

So in response to your anecdote:

Fuk your Rippetoe
Fuk your mom
Fuk your excuses.

Last edited:
Front squats dont cause as much CNS stress as a backsquat thats for sure.

Sorry, i know I am a week fker but front squats rip into your core, and upper back,, and quads, way more than a back squat not to mention just holding the bar is more difficult..

Front squats are wayharder, if they wernt, people would be able to front squat more than they can back squat.

Front squats are wayharder, if they wernt, people would be able to front squat more than they can back squat.

People who use front squats in order to provide rest for their athletes:
- Louie Simmons
- Mark Rippetoe
- Bill Starr

I cant wrist curl as much as I can bench but I wouldnt say its the harder exercise...

This "CNS stress" or "CNS fatigue" was conspicuously absent from my courses and every exercise physiology textbook I've ever come across, and never gets defined by anyone who brings it up.

This "CNS stress" or "CNS fatigue" was conspicuously absent from my courses and every exercise physiology textbook I've ever come across, and never gets defined by anyone who brings it up.

Ah the wonders of tafe.

This argument is lame. I don't deload but I'm not going to deny the success of programs by Pendlay, Rippetoe, Wendler, Tate, Schwab etcetc just because I dont do it. Different strokes/different folks.

Even if they choose to do it this way it is still for a comp and not just part of the usual training cycle. It is used to peak for a comp where is a deload is just basically for recovery from accumulated fatigue. Similar methods but different concept and application.

And in response to their methods it has been shown that keeping the intensity up provides a better ability to perform at the competition than dropping intensity. But they can do what they want, it is obviously still working well.

It may be for comp- but the principle still holds for any approach to strength training that holds that in order to realise strength gains acheived through accumulated fatigue you need to back off to allow for supercompensation.
You say that keeping the intensity up provides a better ability to perform at the competition. Can you give me an example of an elite powerlifter who does this?? The Russian programs I have seen, along with many of the westside inspired ones- all drop off intensity and volume to peak.
The metal militia guys do high intensity blocks then a week off, Marc Bartley and co. do 3 week blocks with a week deload- Sheiko guys signioficantly drop volume and intensity in the final two weeks.
They all differentiate between strength building phases and strength realisation or competition preparation phases. Its my understanding that research on the effective of high intensity training on the cns has shown that sustained high intensity training for approx more than 3 weeks has a negative effect on strength development- however 'waved' training patterns can produce a 'rebound' type effect (supercompensation). Anyway- I'm just a beginner, but thats my understanding.

Ah the wonders of tafe.
Exercise physiology is a degree course, and its textbooks don't mention it so far as I've seen.

And as I've said, it never gets defined by anyone who brings it up. That's an invitation. Do you want it in gilt-edged elegant calligraphy?

The front squat is a different exercise, less back more leg.

Progression eventually comes to a halt, if it didn't we'd all be squatting 250, he'll I'd be squatting 1000kg.

We get older, we eat less with age and so-on.

plateaus happen and no training program is perfect or will last forever so make adjustments and learn to adapt your training to the situation.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exercise physiology is a degree course, and its textbooks don't mention it so far as I've seen.

And as I've said, it never gets defined by anyone who brings it up. That's an invitation. Do you want it in gilt-edged elegant calligraphy?

Kyle I'm busy with an assessment, I don't really feel like backreading through stuff i read two years back.

From memory theres some articles on it linked off the 5x5 website.

Why are guys on here, who have never competed in powerlifting, consistently bringing up PL.

I never mentioned PL, just weight training. Its my thread. Its what I do.

Maybe juicers in gear need different cycles, I dont know, this thread is why I dont use softcockin in my gym.

Isnt it a pity that softcockin wasnt around when Hepburn benched 500lbs or Williams, who benched 6 days a week before benching 700lbs, if he knew about softcockin, he couldve benched as much as Ryan Kennely does raw, oh wait, he benched 50lbs more than Ryan.

Paul Anderson, Marvin Eder, pretty sure they never used softcockin, their lifts still stack up today, even with all this CNS stuff, like Kyle explained, nobody can define.

My understanding is the body adapts to stress, if you allow it.

You lift less weight in a front squat due to the muscle groups involved,
I agree with this part
not the 'difficulty' of the lift.
not with this part.

I mentioned that they target different muscles groups, they just target one muscle group less ( glutes )and require more from many other muscle groups as mentioned.

They are more difficult as you need a stricter form than with a back squat, with a back squat when you get heavy or fatigued you can break form a tad, lean forward more, use more ass / back, what ever you need to, with a front squat if if are not upright and locked the entire lift you will fall on your face.

Whats your deal markos?

I've produced examples of athletes who used deloads (for the hell of it Im going to throw in another who's stronger than everyone you just mentioned - ed coan), you merely point out that I havent competed and therefore my arguments are invalid.

I use your program, I dont deload. I'm not going to pretend however that deloading couldnt possibly work when theres lots of trainers and athletes out there better than I could ever be who use it for trainees at a wide range of levels successfully.

They are more difficult as you need a stricter form than with a back squat, with a back squat when you get heavy you can break form a tad, lean forward more, use more ass / back, what ever you need to, with a front squat if if are not upright and locked the entire lift you will fall on your face.

Disagree, you can break form on a front squat. I've seen it multiple times and done it myself.

As with all lifts, high intensities (in terms of maximal load) will see form suffer. Front squat lets you know that your form is less than optimal simply because you are more aware when you start to lose the weight forward off your delts.

Don't get me wrong, I love front and back squats. I just don't rate either over the other - they are both good movements.

Last edited:
I showed you guys stronger than anyone ever, who didnt use softcockin, and that was 40-50 years ago.

As I said, maybe juicers in gear need it more than others, I dont know.

I believe in freshening up, just not in the gym.

This seems lost on everyone. I never said you should train at 100% for 100% of the time, only for 100% of the time you spend in the gym.

You need to learn to rest at 100%, its just as important as lifting.