• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Workout Of The Week - What Is The Most Effective Mass Building Tricep Workout?

Anyone perform cross bench dips?

Andy, what's your take on these?
Have you done them?

I have done these a few times but I don't think the tricep is heavily involved. I think it is more of a pec exercise, similar to decline bench. I couldn't get any tricep feel out of them.

I enjoy dips but I don't do them often because I haven't built myself a dip stand yet. My tricep mainstay for 20 years has been cable pushdowns.

I have done these a few times but I don't think the tricep is heavily involved. I think it is more of a pec exercise, similar to decline bench. I couldn't get any tricep feel out of them.

I enjoy dips but I don't do them often because I haven't built myself a dip stand yet. My tricep mainstay for 20 years has been cable pushdowns.

Bull, if you want to stretch the pec fully you'll note that your arm is horizontal, level with the shoulder and slightly behind moreso if you have great muscle strength.

For a fully contracted muscle the arm is now parralel to the torso and slightly pointing to the mid line.

I've always worked on the idea that the strongest part of any movement is where the muscle is fully contracted, where the lever cannot move any further, this is where resistance should be at the highest.

And if you want a really big strong muscle, an exercise copying the movement of stretched to fully contracted must be an exercise that you do regularly.

Based on that, if you look at the style of dip you commented on, there is more emphasis on the tricep, it may appear that your pecs receive the brunt of the work, but only in the stretch posisition, the weakest position for effective stimulus for growth.

Bull, if you want to stretch the pec fully you'll note that your arm is horizontal, level with the shoulder and slightly behind moreso if you have great muscle strength.

For a fully contracted muscle the arm is now parralel to the torso and slightly pointing to the mid line.

I've always worked on the idea that the strongest part of any movement is where the muscle is fully contracted, where the lever cannot move any further, this is where resistance should be at the highest.

And if you want a really big strong muscle, an exercise copying the movement of stretched to fully contracted must be an exercise that you do regularly.

Based on that, if you look at the style of dip you commented on, there is more emphasis on the tricep, it may appear that your pecs receive the brunt of the work, but only in the stretch posisition, the weakest position for effective stimulus for growth.

Andy, you could be right but the way that I look at is from the point of view of the main joint involved. Clearly this movement is drawing the humerus down and forward around the shoulder, the elbow extension is incidental. If you flexed the tricep hard at the bottom of the dip you'd push the bench over and wind up in a heap on the floor. Since the shoulder is the real joint being moved then the tricep has minimal involvement. It is basically a stabiliser.

I don't think it is a good pec exercise either, probably because of the weak position that you described. You can't use significant weight because of the vulnerable position of the shoulder as well.

I don't know whether your logic is right or mine but I don't rate these kind of dips for anything other than a stretch.

True Bull, a lot of action at the shoulder, even the lat's play a key role to maintain shoulder strength and integrity.

The dip is a mighty exercise.

Andy, you could be right but the way that I look at is from the point of view of the main joint involved. Clearly this movement is drawing the humerus down and forward around the shoulder, the elbow extension is incidental. If you flexed the tricep hard at the bottom of the dip you'd push the bench over and wind up in a heap on the floor. Since the shoulder is the real joint being moved then the tricep has minimal involvement. It is basically a stabiliser.

I don't think it is a good pec exercise either, probably because of the weak position that you described. You can't use significant weight because of the vulnerable position of the shoulder as well.

I don't know whether your logic is right or mine but I don't rate these kind of dips for anything other than a stretch.

I don't agree with this but I don't really know how to explain why
I think you should do a 5x5RM with weighted dips and then 3 sets of max reps with bodyweight afterwards and you'll know exactly what it hits in the morning

If you flexed the quads in the bottom of a squat then you'd just kick your legs out the same way as your arms in the dip if you flexed your triceps, I don't think you'd say that squats won't give you big strong quads though

I wasn't really sure either 0ni, so I didn't reply.
The jist is, just do it, it's an exercise that involves a lot of muscle, do it!

Thanks mang
I remember reading a Bill Starr (I think it was him) article on using the dip to increase the military press
I'll see if I can find it

I don't agree with this but I don't really know how to explain why
I think you should do a 5x5RM with weighted dips and then 3 sets of max reps with bodyweight afterwards and you'll know exactly what it hits in the morning

If you flexed the quads in the bottom of a squat then you'd just kick your legs out the same way as your arms in the dip if you flexed your triceps, I don't think you'd say that squats won't give you big strong quads though

Oni there is a difference between cross bench dips and proper dips. Real dips are an awesome exercise that can be adjusted to either triceps or chest. Cross bench dips are shit. We were talking about cross bench dips or at least we were at the beginning. I think Andy got onto real dips somewhere.

Fair point with the squats analogy. I agree that my logic does not carry through to that example, but I don't know why. However I still believe that you could do cross bench dips forever without developing decent tri's.

Oni there is a difference between cross bench dips and proper dips. Real dips are an awesome exercise that can be adjusted to either triceps or chest. Cross bench dips are shit. We were talking about cross bench dips or at least we were at the beginning. I think Andy got onto real dips somewhere.

Fair point with the squats analogy. I agree that my logic does not carry through to that example, but I don't know why. However I still believe that you could do cross bench dips forever without developing decent tri's.

I agree. While I think cross bench dips serve there purpose for people who like BW exercises and do to an extent help to fatigue the triceps, I think that they put excess stress on the shoulers - similar to tricep dips that just go way too deep. I think they serve a purpose, but not one that ideally suits me for inducing hypertrophy. Dips; mucho awesomo. Cross Bench Dips; I could live without.

Rian.

The Hodge Twins on the Best Tricep Exercises

Hello gentlemen :p

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWu8g415AKc]Natural Bodybuilder Killer Chest Tricep Workout to get RIPPED FAST!!!!. - YouTube[/ame]

First two seconds...

Damn he had a nice upper body.

I would LOVE some PB with my jelly, thank you.

I know right?

Fucking amazing transformations from him and his brother too! They both look great, but the taller one has got amazing arms and shoulders.

Fantastico! ;)