• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Would you rather be huge or strong

Huge for me, I would prefer to look like I can lift a shit load then to be able to lift a shit load and not look the part.

And for the record I don't think [MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION]; is necessarily right, it Is possible to get big without lifting massive weights....

Give me an example or two of this Ned, I think I'm pretty well on the money here.

Huge for me, I would prefer to look like I can lift a shit load then to be able to lift a shit load and not look the part.

And for the record I don't think [MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION]; is necessarily right, it Is possible to get big without lifting massive weights....

You wont be small if you are truely strong. :)

Tim.

And you're not likely to be weak if you're huge.

Give me an example or two of this Ned, I think I'm pretty well on the money here.

Check out how Neil Gardener trains, pretty sure he isn't freaky strong but does lots of high rep SS type stuff, I know Jim Kotantonis was training like this for ages and pretty sure he still does, not full top class pro bodybuilders, but still have very good amateur careers as well neil was a pro for some time as well.

I understand most will build their base off heavy weights and then continue on with lighter weights and higher volume once decent based in reached from lifting heavy, but I still think it is possible to build a decent rig without having to go super heavy and be super strong, but then again I think being strong is the debatable point here.

Check out how Neil Gardener trains, pretty sure he isn't freaky strong but does lots of high rep SS type stuff, I know Jim Kotantonis was training like this for ages and pretty sure he still does, not full top class pro bodybuilders, but still have very good amateur careers as well neil was a pro for some time as well.

I understand most will build their base off heavy weights and then continue on with lighter weights and higher volume once decent based in reached from lifting heavy, but I still think it is possible to build a decent rig without having to go super heavy and be super strong, but then again I think being strong is the debatable point here.

Hang on Neddy, I thought strong is strong but now you're talking super strong

And [MENTION=8606]Neddysmith[/MENTION]; I don't know how he trains now but I can you tell you that Neil Gardner did not work out and build his physique using light weights

A muscle must increase it's volume (Mass) to be able to facilitate strength increase.

Showing strength is a different thing and ones ability to show this is dependent on leverages and body proportion.

If you look at the bicep curl as an example a man with long forearms and longer arm and bicep insertion close to the elbow will be "strong" but his ability to move a big number will not be possible.
It's like a V8 with a poor transmission.

to a large extent, strength and hugeness go together.

However, one can be huge and not be able to express that strength in non-look feats such as weight or powerlifting, throwing or any other sport. Obviously, this would be primarily because the person only focuses on lifting weights, bodybuilding style.

At the same time, there are strong people who give little attention to aesthetics: they may have unbalanced development due to focusing on a few lifts; unfavourable bone structure; or they just like to eat too much with little regard to how they look.

Again, I would prefer to be strong, expressed by functional strength tests, and look reasonable.

a true strength athlete does not care about structure or how huge one looks; they just get on with it. Sure, most like to look good, but it is a secondary consideration.

The most boring comments I have heard in sport is from bb's.

He is shit, his shoulders are too small, his muscle bellies are all wrong, he should not have won, his tan was crap, the comp was rigged.

Fuck looks, within reason, long live strength sports.

Last edited:
a true strength athlete does not care about structure or muscle insertion; they just get on with it. Sure, most like to look good, but it is a secondary consideration.

The most boring comments I have heard in sport is from bb's.

He is shit, his shoulders are too small, his muscle bellies are all wrong, he should not have won, his tan was crap, the comp was rigged.

Fuck looks, within reason, long live strength sports.

Arnold is strong no doubt, Kazmier is, his ability to transmit power however made him stronger.

Arnold is a good example. In Hercules goes to New York, the movie, I could not believe how uncoordinated Arnold was. Beyond his feats of pure strength he did as a bb, he obviously did little sport after becoming a bb. (although he did swim)

However, he did do a lot of movies and it is amazing how good he would come to look in action scenes.

However, levrone, even after coming 2nd in one Olympia, still ran a decent 60m, again he had some experience with the sport.

I think the point of the thread is if you had to choose 1 or the other.

if in some alternate universe;

1) you were average looking but were super strong

2) you were average strength but looked like thor.... or something.

Fkin take the looks any day. lifting heavy shit doesn't interest me (except for making me look better)

The blokes with the big muscles in my gym are strong too....that's not one of the options? :confused:

Hang on Neddy, I thought strong is strong but now you're talking super strong

Yeah that's why being "strong" is the debatable point, what one classifies as strong is not the others idea of strong, example, I have recently dead lifted 175kg does this make me strong at a body weight of 100kg, I would think not over strong but certainly not weak, if and when I can dead lift 200plus I would think I would be well in my way to be classed as strong.