• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

"You don't budge from there, do you?"

"I can't squat or deadlift, I have shoulder trouble, plays up too much, I can't put a strain on my shoulder."
"But you do bench press, like 12 sets."
"Yeah."
"So, um...?"
"What?"
"Never mind."

yer its all in there head they decided long ago that they want big arms and chest thats it

yer its all in there head they decided long ago that they want big arms and chest thats it

They`ll never work out though that it`s the sum of all parts.
The up himself nob who struggled on 3 half arsed reps for set after set at 90kg when I first started going to that gym used to sit and sneer at anyone lifting less than him.3 years down the track he is still doing the same while a lot of us have left him for dead long ago.
He doesn`t sneer anymore.Actually he rarely shows up anymore.

"I can't squat or deadlift, I have shoulder trouble, plays up too much, I can't put a strain on my shoulder."
"But you do bench press, like 12 sets."
"Yeah."
"So, um...?"
"What?"
"Never mind."

If I recall correctly up until about 5 mins ago you were sitting out the deadlifts because of a back condition, yet you were doing bent rows. Bent rows will place a lot more strain on your back than deadlifts. Glass houses Kyle.

This next part is not directed at anyone in particular.

Hanging **** on all the guys training incorrectly wont make you any bigger, stronger or faster. So what if 99% of the gym going population dont squat, deadlift or press overhead? If you're aware enough that you dont train the same way as them, you should be aware enough not to compare yourself to them. If you want to train for strength compare yourself to others who do the same.

You might be the only guy who squats more than 2 wheels atg in your whole gym that has over 300 members, you reckon your squat is all that. Go find some olympic lifters. Then you'll see your form is terrible, you have flexibility issues that are going to lead to injury and that unless you can rep 4 plates your not worth talking about, dont even ask what the strong guys can do.

Remember there is always someone bigger, stronger and faster, with better technique who knows more and has achived it in a shorter time. Walk softly and carry a big stick.

If I recall correctly up until about 5 mins ago you were sitting out the deadlifts because of a back condition, yet you were doing bent rows. Bent rows will place a lot more strain on your back than deadlifts. Glass houses Kyle.
I was following the advice of a physio. When I ask, these guys are not.

I'm aware that among the male part of the population, especially those who lift heavy and the "coach" types, it's very trendy to say that doctors and physios are idiots and we should ignore them. But I'd never advise that. However, as I said these guys haven't had medical advice.

Most claim long-term pain and discomfort from conditions they've diagnosed themselves, and have never sought medical attention for. I always encourage them to see a physician.

NPR said:
So what if 99% of the gym going population dont squat, deadlift or press overhead?
Well, it makes it difficult to find and keep a training partner. It gets a bit lonely in the cage. And this makes training a bit harder than it has to be, harder to stick to and really push yourself at.

Plus in the chat between sets, some guys do complain at lack of results. If someone is in the poo and complaining about the smell, it's quite legitimate for someone else to say, "Well then step out of the poo," and have a laugh at them when they refuse to. If they are in the poo and happy, well good on them. But most aren't, and complain loudly.

Last edited:

I'm aware that among the male part of the population, especially those who lift heavy and the "coach" types, it's very trendy to say that doctors and physios are idiots and we should ignore them. But I'd never advise that. However, as I said these guys haven't had medical advice.

Most claim long-term pain and discomfort from conditions they've diagnosed themselves, and have never sought medical attention for. I always encourage them to see a physician.

Well, it makes it difficult to find and keep a training partner. It gets a bit lonely in the cage. And this makes training a bit harder than it has to be, harder to stick to and really push yourself at.

Plus in the chat between sets, some guys do complain at lack of results. If someone is in the poo and complaining about the smell, it's quite legitimate for someone else to say, "Well then step out of the poo," and have a laugh at them when they refuse to. If they are in the poo and happy, well good on them. But most aren't, and complain loudly.

Thats when they realise there biceps wont grow anymore because they are already 32x bigger then their quads. Have to hit the juice now because i cant improve being weak with weakness.

Ok so you cant do it because of doctors orders but everyone else is a self diagnosed cop out?

In any event if your physio thinks bent rows are ok and deadlifts are not you need a new physio.

Check out Andrew Lock, based in Hawthorn. He is a competing powerlifter and also a bodybuilding judge. He knows his stuff.

You need to change gyms. If you're the only guy squatting day in day out then it will get hard, I've been there. If you're training at a heath spa where strength is not a focus you're pushing s hit uphill. Find a gym where strength and proper training is a focus.

Bodyworld in Balaclava
Phoenix Weighlifting
Dohertys in dandenong
PTC

Just to name a few....

As you said. "Step out of the poo"

Kyle, you havent exactly spent your life in the squat rack either:

Today:-
  • Bodyweight, 77.6kg; resting heart rate, 62bpm
  • Chin-ups (semi-supinated grip) - 5, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 3 = 31 in all
  • Bench press - 12x 40kg, 8x 45kg, 6x 50kg, 5x 52.5kg
  • Ab crunch machine - 20x 50kg, 15x 57kg, 10x 64kg
  • Leg press machine - 15x 145kg, 12x 154kg, 10x 164kg, 8x 172kg
  • Bent-over DB row - 20x 20kg, 12x 25kg
  • DB flies - 10x 20kg, 10x 20kg

Again, hyjak, medical advice. Which you may think is good or bad advice, but I followed it and have not had an injury, so it can't be too terrible.

Anyway, those guys don't even do leg press :p I'm not a weightlifting snob, if people want to use machines or something and never step in the squat rack, it doesn't bother me. But blokes should do more than chest and biceps, I think - better for the health and quality of life. And women should do some weights, too.

Ok so you cant do it because of doctors orders but everyone else is a self diagnosed cop out?
Not everyone else, but many. If I ask, "did you talk to a doctor or physio?" and they say, "no," and I say, "and how long have you had this problem?" and they say, "years," then yes, they're a self-diagnosed cop-out. And it happens a lot.

Or they get medical advice, and follow some but not all. I've seen the same guy who says he can't squat because of his knee also say that his doctor told him not to bench press because of his shoulder, but he does anyway. So they're strangely selective in the medical advice they listen to.

There are a significant number who have had medical advice, and recently, and I think they should follow it. But again, many don't.

NPR said:
In any event if your physio thinks bent rows are ok and deadlifts are not you need a new physio.
I haven't been injured so far, and have become stronger and with little or no pain in the afflicted areas. So my physio's advice has worked. What I want from my physio is that they help me prevent injury while I get stronger, fitter, and more flexible - however slowly. And we're getting that result.

NPR said:
Check out Andrew Lock, based in Hawthorn. He is a competing powerlifter and also a bodybuilding judge. He knows his stuff.
Thanks for the tip, I'm sure I'll need to check him out in time.

NPR said:
You need to change gyms. If you're the only guy squatting day in day out then it will get hard, I've been there.
At the moment it's fine, I have my goals to achieve and can do them at the current place, which is conveniently near my home. Once those goals are achieved, I'll be making other goals, and yes I agree I'll need a new place to achieve them. This my primary school, it'll do until I'm ready for secondary :)

Thanks for the tips on the gyms, again in time I'm sure I'll be heading there.

NPR said:
As you said. "Step out of the poo"
I'm not in the poo, the situation is not ideal but it's not poo. In the poo would be people saying, "you're not allowed to deadlift in this gym," or something like that. That doesn't happen. Nobody hinders me there, it's just that nobody helps me ;)

Last edited:
Church st Richmond or Hawthorn?

All you guys, and I mean ALL you guys, should go back to before you were training with heavy compound lifts, and realise that at some stage, ALL of us has trained like a sissy boy at one stage of our lives.

When the forum started at ns.com, most thought I was the anti christ. Four years on, these guys are bigger, stronger, faster than they ever dreamed possible.

So what if Kyle trained like he had a bruised vagina in the past, so did I at one stage. As long as you see the light and start lifting correctly, thats all that matters.

You will be hard pressed to find anyone that has trained "correctly" their WHOLE lives. Nick knows such a boy at Phoenix, he C&J's 140kg @ 19 and 77kg. Max is another. There are also a handful of clients at PTC who have never stepped into a commercial gym and done fluff.

The majority of us certainly did.

One guy I have at PTC is 25, has done all his training with me. Mick is a rock climber who never played traditional sports. He loves camping and other Leyland brothers stuff.

He started with me around 15 months ago. He weighs 83kg, a novice.

Because he has trained correctly his WHOLE lifting life, his progress is outstanding.

Squat - 145kg
BP - 95kg
Clean - 110kg
Overhead - 96kg
Deadlift - 200kg

Total - 646kg

Thats as good as anyone can do in that time frame, he smashes my progress in my first 15 months, and most other guys on here.

He can also do a 47" box jump

2.jpg

Well done Kyle for changing, and well done everyone of you who manages to get at least one person to change