• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

12 tips to a heavier pull

Yes, build, which means become bigger, grow. Anyhow, we can go on forever, some people want to be strong, some want size, as long as people remember that.

So how did you complete the lift if you blacked out on the way up?
Posted via Mobile Device

i regained consciousness just as i was about to lock out at top. I think it was more a 1 second black out than a full blackout. Dont think i breathed properly on the way up. The 2nd and third attempts did it with no issues. Mind you i think 30% of it was mental just looking at the stupid thing sent shivers up the spine at the time. Oh the glory days.. :rolleyes:

shrek does have a point. Some of the guys here in japan i must admit weigh like 60kgs and "look like they havent been training long"
Yet they were benching 110kgs for 6 reps and deadlifting quite easily 160kgs times by 5 sets no spotter. That's close to 2.5x Bodyweight

Yet in terms of muscle maturity and size standing next to the guy i had more muscle development - large muscle bellies large bicep peaks (he did have massive forearms .. Jesus they were huge). He was also the same height as myself 5'8.

I was humbled by my experience though.. First walking into the gym seeing the lightweights but soon found out they were pushing such numbers for their BW. Yet they kept staring at myself thinking i was going to bench over 140kgs with ease. For the record i only did 110 x 4repson bench :D Oh the shame

Once again different horses for different courses.

As long as EVERYBODY is in the gym training and not in front of the TV eating big macs all day long thats the point.

anyways here is a pic just for fun. Spot the BB and Spot the powerlifter. They look the same just different sets of muscle bellies.

powerlifting-bodybuilding.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sure 90% of guys who lift will never understand you get bigger outside the gym, its simply a matter of caloric intake.

In the gym we pull the trigger for muscle growth.

as you guys know Max purely trains for strength. He is the second lightest guy at PTC to pull 200kg @ 70kg, since has pulled 210kg @ 75kg.

A by product of his 20 month training for strength, seldom doing any more reps than 8 other than his 20 rep squats, and never doing isolation work, is his bodyweight going from 51kg to 76kg kg. He has never trained bodyparts.

Lift to get strong, eat to get big.

Last night Ryan pulled 200kg at PTC, becoming the 50th lifter to do so. I went through my diary and he accomplished that in 5 sessions. Never lifted before, but he does weigh a little over 100kg.

He started at PTC because his brother trains there. He has a weak back that needed fixing, so his brother suggested PTC. I think its fixed lol

Ceffo, thats a great deadlift big fella.

PB, you never told us how much youve deadlifted and how long it took

15 and a half, he is now 17. Same height, around 175cm.

The equipped deadlift record for CAPO in the 17yo 75kg age group is 200kg. We may go to the NSW state titles as Max will still be 17 when they take place. He'll beat the equipped record without even a belt.

Kasper has also pulled 210kg at 17, he is 93kg though.

Last edited:
Interesting, I assume some of his weight gain was due to maturation and not just lifting. I know I went from 70kg to about 90kg from 15 to 17 and I was not training then. Is he he is going for a 15kg increase to pull a 3xBW.

Well, none of his mates have added 25kg of muscle in that time frame, they come around when he trains them and they look tiny next to him. Then again, none of them can full squat 180kg either.

Did you manage to squat 180kg and deadlift 210kg in that time frame also? He is not heavier because he got older, I guess you'ld have to see him to understand, maybe one of the members on here that train at PTC can elaborate.

He doesnt really set goals like 3 times in the dead, just the squat really.

I was a bit different as I was a 6'3 70kg kid at 15 so going up to 90kg was more a normal weight for my height. I was thinking more along the lines as he has grown (upwards) and a little heavier due to his age (not the 25 but about 5 to 10kg).

He's no taller, just wider, much wider lol

The best indicator is his mates. Max has always been a runt, in every sporting team.

His mates that havent seen him for 2 years dont recognize him.

I agree that the average 15yo gets heavier as he ages, this is a little different.

Well in that case he's just a little tank now isn't he. How tall is he? He must have been short and skinny, not many shorties are great deadlifters unless they have freakishly long arms for their height to increase their mechanical advantage.

I should embarass him and post a pic of him when he won the Royal Melbourne Show Nike ball handling comp, he was tiny lol

Interesting question. Would deadlifting with straps be considered assisted?
My grips sucks balls anywhere above the 150kg mark even using supinated/propinated grip

i have low hormones and can only deadlift 200kg :(

Is it bad that i consider this weak?

Reason being if i can do it feeling like shit then im sure all of you can..

Ceffo your grip is weak because you use strapss..

So you want to fix the issue of bad grip by not trianign your grip?? Its an excuse chalk up and hold the **** on :)

That does it. Watch this space, within 6 months I'm going to post up a 200kg deadlift. I've never really trained for strength so never ever tried a 1RM to see what I can lift. I only increase my weights when I get 3 full sets at 8 reps.

So, in fact, I have no idea what my 1RM is for most lifts. I know I squat 120kg easily for 10reps so could do a lot more there. Before I went O/S on holidays I was inching up those lifts nicely but now have to go back to square one first.

And I know my grip fails after 5 reps or so on deads but I could easily lift more for 1 rep. I might try a 1rm day and see what I can work up to on my lifts and post results. I'm pretty sure I could do 140kg deads for 1 rep when warm. As Shrek mentioned, some of us don't train for outright strength. I always work in the 6-8 rep range to try and build size. Until recently my diet has been crap but thanks to this board the next 12 months is going to be different. I used to do a three day a week split routine and with poor eating and insufficient effort. That's all changing now with PTC's big compounds programme and eating double what I used to.

I'm a bit confused as to why my squats would be rapidly approaching the goal lifts in my sig below but I'm still miles off on deads and bench. To be honest, the bench will probably be the hardest to achieve as my legs are pretty strong from being a former marathon runner and doing Tae Kwon Do as a kid. With concerted effort I'll get there with deads.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
Interesting question. Would deadlifting with straps be considered assisted?
My grips sucks balls anywhere above the 150kg mark even using supinated/propinated grip

Of course its assistance. You're wrapping yourself to the bar!

if you stopped using straps and trained your grip it would get stronger.

Ceffo your grip is weak because you use strapss..

So you want to fix the issue of bad grip by not trianign your grip?? Its an excuse chalk up and hold the **** on :)

dammit now i gotta carry chalk around the gym in the bum bag. :D