• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

16 year old wanting to change

Today, there is a huge variety of food we can choose from, with better nutritional value and more economical.

Well I recon for gaining weight economically (read cheap) milk would be hard to beat at $1 per litre 650 calories and just over 30 grams of protein, and can be bought at any street corner.

Sure there are alternatives, there always are, but it's a good easy starting point IMO Pizza, Maccas and Ice cream are expensive if you are 16 years old and probably going to school and living under mum and dad's roof.

However mum will not complain about 2 litres of milk a day, I know I would be happy for my kids to drink it, but I don't buy them Maccas or Pizza ever as we don't really eat it, Maccas is vile anyway apart from cheese burgers.

Ice cream is good

But more often than not a good selection of meat and vegetables is sufficient with a glass of choc flavored milk.

My advise for a skinny runt of a 16 year old is don't worry about any supps at all. You don't need them.

Eat anything and everything you can and enjoy it. You are only a few years off having to watch what you can eat or you start getting fat. May as well enjoy it while you can and give your body fuel and gain some size in those growing years.

My advise for a skinny runt of a 16 year old is don't worry about any supps at all. You don't need them.

Eat anything and everything you can and enjoy it. You are only a few years off having to watch what you can eat or you start getting fat. May as well enjoy it while you can and give your body fuel and gain some size in those growing years.

Agree, I reckon supps for a healthy 16 year old is absolutely useless

Well we are assuming he is already eating meat and veggies from mum's cooking and wants extra to put on size with his training.

Pretty sure the milk will not do him any harm, and will cheaply and easily boost his daily intake.

Did not know milk was considered a supplement these days, always thought it was just food.

No good feeding up on junk, as it teaches bad habits that will be detrimental later in life. I teach my kids to eat and enjoy healthy foods rather than junk, my daughter will choose a piece of chicken or fruit or have a drink of milk over Maccas any day. Will hopefully save her the problems that I went through having eaten junk food most of my life. Both our kids will drink plain water over any soft drink 90% of the time even when given a choice.

Took me years to not enjoy junk any more, now just driving past Maccas or the like makes me sick from the smell.

A few weeks back got tempted as I was on the road and starving, bought a McMuffin meal, took one bite and could not even swallow it, nearly dry reached, immediately spat it back in the bag to save me throwing up in my car, it is vile after years of not having it. I ate the hash brown, and drank about half the McCafe coffee that came with it, and then regretted it for the rest of the day.

Eat healthy proper food and you really won't enjoy junk food as it tastes really really bad when you are used to good food, you are not missing out, you are just saving killing your taste buds. Same goes for fizzy diet drinks, just the thought of having one makes me ill.

And this is coming from a person that used to have Maccas or Burger King or KFC every day of the week sometimes twice a day and drink at least 2-3 litres of coke a day.

The only junk i still enjoy is a quality pizza (not sure it's even junk really), but will not eat Dominos, Pizza Hut or the like, have not had any of them for about 7 years at least, or a KFC chicken burger, but probably have not had one of them for about 4 months either.

Last edited:
Foods food can get fat eating fresh food same as you can maccas. Piss is another thing, I love a drink but it toally fucks up my calorie intake.

I do agree with you mick that fast food is shit tasting and not very filling for the calories consumed.

Well Mick trying a Mcmuffin as your return to Maccas food was your problem, I love Maccas but those thing are bloody feral.

What's wrong with enjoying fast food. I enjoy all the healthy foods but I also enjoy fast food and other junk foods if I have it. No need to totally deny yourself food you really enjoy and not good either because that just sets you up with diet and binge eating cycles. Been there and done that.

Well Mick trying a Mcmuffin as your return to Maccas food was your problem, I love Maccas but those thing are bloody feral.

What's wrong with enjoying fast food. I enjoy all the healthy foods but I also enjoy fast food and other junk foods if I have it. No need to totally deny yourself food you really enjoy and not good either because that just sets you up with diet and binge eating cycles. Been there and done that.

If you enjoy it that is, I do not enjoy it, I actually hate the taste.

Like I said I do like KFC Burgers and will have one when I feel like it.

I do have proper pizza from italian Pizza Shops when I feel like it, I would rather not eat Maccas as a choice, not because it's bad or good, even if it was considered heath food I would not eat it as it just tastes bad.

I do love a drink (beer, bourbon, cider), but enjoy it even more now that I drink less often, making is some what special when I do have one.

I do agree with you mick that fast food is shit tasting and not very filling for the calories consumed.

This also.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat, was boxing at 16 and started gym at 17 - was 72kg at 189cm. Could not gain weight at all, what I did at first was drink milk like mad - but then found out I'm lactose intolerant to a certain degree.

Chunky peanut butter sandwiches is all you need to add the kilos. Worked for me - and when it comes time to cutting just remove them from your diet and the kilos will drop off.

I was in the same boat, was boxing at 16 and started gym at 17 - was 72kg at 189cm. Could not gain weight at all, what I did at first was drink milk like mad - but then found out I'm lactose intolerant to a certain degree.

Chunky peanut butter sandwiches is all you need to add the kilos. Worked for me - and when it comes time to cutting just remove them from your diet and the kilos will drop off.

Look at the nutritional profile of pb and bread vs milk, milk is perfect for bulking. Also he isn't lactose intolerant he tried to drink a litre of milk in one sitting. Anyone who tries to chug a litre of milk in one go is gonna feel like shit.

Don't forget bacon and eggs

Eggs, chicken, milk, steak, tuna excellent sources of protein with very little carbs. If you ate only those foods with leafy greens you'd be halfway there, throw in 3-4 hrs a week of lifting and anyone will start to get in pretty good shape.

Eggs, chicken, milk, steak, tuna excellent sources of protein with very little carbs. If you ate only those foods with leafy greens you'd be halfway there, throw in 3-4 hrs a week of lifting and anyone will start to get in pretty good shape.

I reckon that's the perfect meal plan Fluff

For a growing, active, skinny 16 year old they should be eating plenty of carbs.

Older fat blokes with office jobs not so much.

Well I agree totally with the foods suggested but not going low carb for young skinny blokes. Carbs are exactly what he needs.

Your probably right I remember when I was that age I could eat whatever I wanted and your metabolism would just burn it up.