• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

3 day upper body only

Alpha Moth

Lately I've been having a weird impingement/pinch in my leg/hip region, and will be getting it checked soon. In the event I will need to take a rest from any squats and deadlifts, I want have a plan for upper body 3 days a week. Here is what I was thinking of so far. thoughts?

Mon: (heavy)
madcow 5 x 5 bench
madcow 5 x 5 row
chins
optional: bi/tri

Wed: (light)
dips 3 x 8-12
DB incline bench or a shoulder exercise 3x8-12
one arm DB row 3 x 8-12
shrugs 3 x 8-12

or
trap bar deadlift 1 x 5 (doesn't hurt leg)
dips 3 x 8
db incline or lateral raise 3 x 8-12
optional:power shrugs 3 x 8

Fri: (medium)
madcow 5 x 5 bench
madcow 5 x 5 row
pull ups
optional: bi/tri

Last edited:
im on my phone so i cant go into to much detail...but wat r ur goals..i guess bodybuilding coz u have posted it in this section...if so ur program needs to be totally changed...

im on my phone so i cant go into to much detail...but wat r ur goals..i guess bodybuilding coz u have posted it in this section...if so ur program needs to be totally changed...

strength and hypertrophy. hence the madcows 5 x 5 on the bench and rows, i really want to improve my bench the most.

Overhead press isn't the best way to improve bench press. Doing more bench press is the best way when your bench press is under 140kg.

Plus he said it hurts his shoulders.

updated wednesday a bit, what option would seem more productive? Any changes I can make? It might be interesting to see how my body responds to 3 times a week frequency

Remeber to keep goals focused and clear to get the best results...you seem to want abit of everything which will give you half ass results...keep this is mind....

Remeber to keep goals focused and clear to get the best results...you seem to want abit of everything which will give you half ass results...keep this is mind....

how so? ,my goal is to improve bench, hence the 5 x 5 madcow and improving my row too. everything else is lower weight. I'm pretty happy with how mon and fri are set out, i';m just not sure about wednesday.

how so? ,my goal is to improve bench, hence the 5 x 5 madcow and improving my row too. everything else is lower weight. I'm pretty happy with how mon and fri are set out, i';m just not sure about wednesday.

How long have you been training? How long have you been doing 5x5?

You have said you want to gain size, strength, get a bigger bench and get a bigger row...all while you have a hip/leg injury??...I would think any heavy bent over rows would be very hard to do when you have a hip problem due to the way your positioning is....

Not having a dig mate...just trying to break it down abit so we can help....

Last edited:
Hip pinches whilst squatting. A tiny bit in the bottom of a deadlift, that's it. Rows etc are fine. I've stated the exercises that are fine.

From my understanding, especially from this forum, strength + food = size?

I'm just unsure, I've only ever done upperbody twice a week.

Hip pinches whilst squatting. A tiny bit in the bottom of a deadlift, that's it. Rows etc are fine. I've stated the exercises that are fine.

From my understanding, especially from this forum, strength + food = size?

I'm just unsure, I've only ever done upperbody twice a week.

Not really mate...of course you will gain size if you are weight training (that being if diet and rest are good)....but if your looking to gain real size then I would suggest more of a bbing style split....that being said you want to get a bigger bench...so its hard to program to a number of diff goals...

At the end of the day try this, eat well and train fucking hard and see what happens....your bench will go up with 5x5...id be doing a shit load MORE tricep and rear delt work - seeing as though these are to of the major muscles behind a big bench....

Id be doing triceps 2-3 times a week and id be doing rear delts 2-3 times a week also...

I had planned to do half of this year more geared towards strength, then the other half a strength + hypertrophy, WS4SB for example. Just want to get a 100kg bench by the end of the year.

Rear delts and tries will be hit hard by rows.(pendlay rows) Dips will hit tries. I don't see the problem? lol just me anyway, will wait for some input by the others around here.

KungFooGoo is currently "hitting tri's" 3 times a week, or 4 if you count rows / pullups which l don't really. Seems to be the goods, im doing a 5 day split purely for aesthetics.

I had planned to do half of this year more geared towards strength, then the other half a strength + hypertrophy, WS4SB for example. Just want to get a 100kg bench by the end of the year.

Rear delts and tries will be hit hard by rows.(pendlay rows) Dips will hit tries. I don't see the problem? lol just me anyway, will wait for some input by the others around here.

When I was training to get a 210kg bench (which was a jr aus record...so I know how to bench lol) - I was training bench 3-4 x a week and doing direct tricep and rear delt work 3 times a week.....these programs were fairly advanced I must admit...variations of russian style weight lifting plans and diff sheiko programs...

WS4SB is great for athletes....I would not suggest this program unless your training for sport....

Focus on a goal...work towards that goal with the right programing and achieve that goal, then move onto the next goal...dont have 2,3,4 diff goals at once because you will get nowhere....

Also getting a 100kg bench should only really take you 2-3 months, if that...unless you bench is like 20kg atm...but id say youd be able to bench 60kg??

Last edited:
KungFooGoo is currently "hitting tri's" 3 times a week, or 4 if you count rows / pullups which l don't really. Seems to be the goods, im doing a 5 day split purely for aesthetics.

post up your routine in your training log. In before you train chest more than legs

rows pull ups don't hit the triceps btw?

post up your routine in your training log. In before you train chest more than legs

rows pull ups don't hit the triceps btw?

I "hit" legs more then l do chest. 6 Sets for chest or 11 if you want to count dips and 15 sets for legs.

After l said it l knew it sounded retarded.... Its appropriate if you ridicule KungFooGoo now.