• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

4 Day Split (another one)

S

Stiffy

Seems to be a pretty popular Split on the net these days. Thought I'd give it a try.

Monday - Chest and Triceps
Chest
Barbell Bench Press or Smith Machine Bench Press 4x 6 to 8
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4x 6 to 8
Dumbbell Flys 3x10

Triceps
Close Grip Bench Press 4x6 to 8
French Press 2x 8 to 10
Tricep Dips 2x 8 to 10

Tuesday - Back and Biceps

Back
Bent Over Dumbbell Row 4x 6 to 8
Wide Grip Pull Up 4 To Failure **
Cable Reverse Grip Rows 4x 8 to 10

Biceps
Standing Barbell Curl 4 6 to 8
Alternate Seated Dumbbell Curl 2 8 to 10
Concentration Curl 2 8 to 10
Notes
** Note: Add weight if more than 10 reps can be performed in a set

Wednesday - Rest Day

Thursday - Quads and Hamstrings
Quads
Squat 4x 8 to 10
45 Degree Leg Press 3x 6 to 8
Hack Squat 3x 8 to 10

Hamstrings
Stiff Leg Deadlifts 3x 6 to 8
Leg Curl 3x 8 to 10

Friday - Shoulders and Calves

Shoulders
Seated Dumbbell Press 3x 6 to 8
Seated Barbell Press 3x 8 to 10
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 3x 10 to 12
Barbell Shrug 4x 8 to 10

Calves
Standing Calf Raise 3x 12 to 15
Seated Calf Raise 3x 6 to 8

Saturday and Sunday - Rest Days

EDIT: Abs on Monday and Thursday, alternating Rollouts with Crunches and Leg raises

I might make those "Rest Days" stretching and some cardio.

Thoughts, ideas anyone?

Last edited:
Thats the split I'm doing with different exercises, I don't have that many rest days though, I have 1 day a week rest and just keep repeating the cycle.

I'd throw in shoulders with chest and triceps
And calves with leg day
Cheers Darko. I used to do that, Chest, Shoulders and Triceps but thought I'd change. Do you think combining the three is superior? ie Monday & Thursday - Chest, Shoulders and Triceps. Tuesday and Friday - Legs, Back and Biceps. Or Something?

Don't forget rear delts.
Cheers Shrek. Rear delts after Shrugs on Shoulder day?

Oops forgot. Abs on Monday and Thursday, alternating Rollouts with Crunches and Leg raises.

Cheers Darko. I used to do that, Chest, Shoulders and Triceps but thought I'd change. Do you think combining the three is superior? ie Monday & Thursday - Chest, Shoulders and Triceps. Tuesday and Friday - Legs, Back and Biceps. Or Something?
I don't think shoulders need a day on their own or more work than the larger muscles, by combining them with chest they get more rest.

So you could do something like this
Monday - Back/biceps
Tuesday - Shoulder/chest/triceps
Wednesday - rest
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Back/ biceps
Sat and Sun. - rest

Or this
Monday - Back/biceps
Wednesday - rest
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Rest
Sat - Back/biceps
Sun - rest and so on, all depends on your schedule

I don't think shoulders need a day on their own or more work than the larger muscles, by combining them with chest they get more rest.

So you could do something like this
Monday - Back/biceps
Wednesday - rest
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Back/ biceps
Sat and Sun. - rest

Or this
Monday - Back/biceps
Wednesday - rest
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Rest
Sat - Back/biceps
Sun - rest and so on, all depends on your schedule

Basically almost a 3 on 1 off routine except with an extra rest day between Legs and Back/Bi's?

Starting to think about a standard 3 on 1 off (Legs, Push, Pull) routine now.

I am similar to darkoz.

upper body is press/pull days, so shoulder presses with chest and upright rows with back.

3 days on, one day off, or I train 6 times (each muscle group twice) every 8 days.

Basically almost a 3 on 1 off routine except with an extra rest day between Legs and Back/Bi's?

Starting to think about a standard 3 on 1 off (Legs, Push, Pull) routine now.
Well it's more like 2 on 1 off legs/push/pull, I don't like working out more than two consecutive days as my workouts are always fairly intense and none of this light, heavy or deload stuff so if I feel like I need a break I rest completely.

Well it's more like 2 on 1 off legs/push/pull, I don't like working out more than two consecutive days as my workouts are always fairly intense and none of this light, heavy or deload stuff so if I feel like I need a break I rest completely.

Thanks. Bit like this:

Week 1

1. Monday: Push (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)
  2. Tuesday: Pull (Back, Biceps)
  3. Wednesday: off
  4. Thursday: Legs (Quads, Hamstrings, Calves, Abs)
  5. Friday: off
  6. Saturday: Push (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)
  7. Sunday: Pull (Back, Biceps)
Week 2

1. Monday: off
  2. Tuesday: Legs (Quads, Hamstrings, Calves, Abs)
  4. Thursday: Push (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)
  5. Friday: Pull (Back, Biceps)
  6. Saturday: off
  7. Sunday: Legs (Quads, Hamstrings, Calves, Abs)

I am similar to darkoz.

upper body is press/pull days, so shoulder presses with chest and upright rows with back.

3 days on, one day off, or I train 6 times (each muscle group twice) every 8 days.

Cheers mate. Thinking of that too, but training 6 days per 8 days might be a bit much, unless I take an extra day off here and there.

I'd throw in shoulders with chest and triceps
And calves with leg day

This or:
chest tric bic
Back shoulders
legs and calves
rest day
repeat
this will let you do everything twice a week.
with enough vol you'll blow up quite quickly.
takes the piss though, it's what I do, can confirm it is draining, but works.

Thanks. Bit like this:

Week 1

1. Monday: Push (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)
  2. Tuesday: Pull (Back, Biceps)
  4. Thursday: Legs (Quads, Hamstrings, Calves, Abs)
  5. Friday: off
  6. Saturday: Push (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)
  7. Sunday: Pull (Back, Biceps)
Week 2

1. Monday: off
  2. Tuesday: Legs (Quads, Hamstrings, Calves, Abs)
  4. Thursday: Push (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)
  5. Friday: Pull (Back, Biceps)
  6. Saturday: off
  7. Sunday: Legs (Quads, Hamstrings, Calves, Abs)
Looks fine and if you feel it's too much then adjust accordingly by having an extra day off
It's up to you as I don't know how intense you work out, as a general rule of thumb the more intense your workouts are, the more rest you'll need

Last edited:
yes, we will all have slight variations.

I have picked up my training in recent months. I find 3 days on, one day off, ok because I split muscle groups up and each is rested for at least 4 days.

Due to family of other factors, sometimes I have to adjust. But basically it works out to 6 sessions per 8 days.

A 4 on 1 off routine?

Yes, but I'm thinking of incorporating shoulders with chest and calves like Darkoz said. So 3 days on, 1 day off. As Grunta said, you can work on everything twice a week. I feel once a week is too long of a break for a bodypart.

Yes, but I'm thinking of incorporating shoulders with chest and calves like Darkoz said. So 3 days on, 1 day off. As Grunta said, you can work on everything twice a week. I feel once a week is too long of a break for a bodypart.

yep, reason why I was looking at the once a week split was just to allow some more intense HIIT and other sports specific training on the off days.

Do something completely different to initiate excitement.

on the "Off" days Shrekky?

That's very good. "Do something completely different go initiate excitement", that could be on a Lorna Jane t-shirt :D

Last edited by a moderator: