• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

4 Day Split (another one)

:)

Lol. I've caught myself on the odd occasion doing an isolation here or there. They have their place but are not a mainstay of my routine. If I'm doing them it's as a 'finisher' and will only be 1-2 sets.

I'd die in the asshole to do a deadlift or barbell row or squat right now. Unfortunately, I'd be risking rooting my back.

It does boggle the mind though. The biceps may have several heads but how many of you guys are that happy with the overall mass you've achieved on your arms that you NEED not one, not two, but THREE types of curls? It could even be argued that the isolations are not even required to being out the details... that those details are purely genetic (that's right, if you have a short bicep, doing preachers focusing and squeezing at the bottom is not going to suddenly give you long muscle bellies) and DIET, yes... diet is actually responsible for bringing out that definition.

And Let's not forget that 2/3rds of your upper arm mass comes from Mr.Tricep. Maybe I'm wrong?

Last edited:
Because the champion BB's you speak of are on a gram of test per week plus all the rest. It kinda helps with recovery.

I really don't care about 'evidence'. You can look for the academic literature and texts and theorise about this theory and that. I'm 39, training for over 20 years and I know what works for me.

If adding some cable tricep kickbacks on top of your close grip bench presses works for you, that's awesome.

I was simply stating what has worked for me.
Um no-one here was talking about cable triceps kickbacks or the like.
I get what you're saying though but that's not what's being proposed here.

On a side note, I've yet to see anyone with large muscular arms who doesn't directly work them.

Funny thing is I cut and pasted the wrong routine. This was the one I meant to post lol. Same dude wrote both routines. (Although I'll be doing Darkoz's Push/Pull/Legs variation instead).

Monday - Shoulders and Triceps
Shoulders
Smith Machine Shoulder Press 4 12,10,8,6
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 4 12,10,8,6
Dumbbell Reverse Fly 4 12,10,8,6
Dumbbell Shrugs 4 12,10,8,6

Triceps
Lying Tricep Extension 3 10,8,6
One Arm Cable Extension 3 10,8,6
One Arm Dumbbell Extension 3 10,8,6

Tuesday - Back
Back
Wide Grip Pull Up 4 12,10,8,6
Close Grip Pull Down 4 12,10,8,6
One Arm Dumbbell Row 4 12,10,8,6
Bent Over Barbell Row 4 12,10,8,6

Wednesday - Rest Day

Thursday - Chest and Biceps
Chest
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 12,10,8,6
Barbell Bench Press 4 12,10,8,6
Incline Dumbbell Flys 4 12,10,8,6
Cable Crossovers 4 12,10,8,6

Biceps
Incline Dumbbell Curl 3 10,8,6
Preacher Curl 3 10,8,6
Standing Hammer Curl 3 10,8,6

Friday - Legs
Quads, Hamstrings and Glutes
Squat 4 12,10,8,6
45 Degree Leg Press 4 12,10,8,6
Leg Extension 4 12,10,8,6
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 4 12,10,8,6

Calves
Seated calf Raise 3 10,8,8
Standing Calf Raise 3 15,12,10

Saturday and Sunday - Rest Days

@jmc123 ; one or two more isolations here mate. Chill, no one prefers compounds more than me. I just spent a lot of workouts trying to do Chins in such a way that they hit the Biceps harder so I wouldn't have to do Curls. :)
Just an observation so take this for what you will, do you think it more beneficial to do 4 different exercises for each bodypart per workout?

Just an observation so take this for what you will, do you think it more beneficial to do 4 different exercises for each bodypart per workout?
I've been doing a small number of major compound movements for years so thought it might be a change. I'd say that the above routine would certainly stimulate growth, but maybe a bit over kill and long.
I like mine better..just saying.
yep, more meat and potatoes and less side dishes.

I've been doing a small number of major compound movements for years so thought it might be a change. I'd say that the above routine would certainly stimulate growth, but maybe a bit over kill and long.
Ver good Stiffy, at least you can compare for yourself

I think all of these workout plans will work, as long as you keep mixing things up. Give each a go and see what works best for you. The ultimate goal is to overload your muscle so they rebuild larger and stronger. So make sure each muscle group is getting worked enough to stimulate growth.

Regarding compound vs isolated exercises, I think both have their place. For someone with limited amount of time, compound exercises will give you the best bang for your buck. They work multiple muscle groups at the same time, teaches your body to work together and burns the most calories. However isolation exercises lets your target and overload a muscle group directly.

Why do you say that? I used to be one of those guys who did the same thing week in and week out without really getting results. I would say 80% of people at the gym fall into this category.

Your body will adapt to anything you do regularly and your results will plateau. If you keep your body guessing, you'll constantly be overloading your muscles.

By mixing things up I don't mean throw out your workout plan and start from scratch with different exercises. Keep the same core exercises, but change the order of the exercises, sets/reps, the day you do a certain muscle groups, etc.

By mixing things up I don't mean throw out your workout plan and start from scratch with different exercises. Keep the same core exercises, but change the order of the exercises, sets/reps, the day you do a certain muscle groups, etc.

I like that. Plenty of times I go in, like today, and my mind and body in morning is not switched on for the heavier compounds. instead of crying about it, I just do something different, until next time.

Some thing like this:

Day 1:

• Dips x 5
  • Chins x 5
  • OHP x 5
  • Side Raise x 3
  • Arms - One or two bicep and tricep exrecise
Day 2
  • Squat x 5
  • Leg Press x 3
  • Leg Ext x 3 (optional)
  • Leg curl x 3
  • SLDL x 3
Day 3 - Off
Day -4
  • Bench x 5
  • Row (Barbell / Cable / T-Bar / Chest Supported or your fav) x 5
  • Rear Delt Raise x 3
  • Shrug x 3
Day 5
  • Deadlift x 5
  • Shrugs x 3 (if not done previously)
  • Abs x Whatever you like
  • Calves - 3 Seated & 3 Standing or Toes Presses
Day 6 - Off or Repeat

Going to run this for a couple of months

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Good luck [MENTION=10812]Bradders[/MENTION]; What rep range you gonna use?
I'd stick with 5-8 for compounds (except deads, no more than 5) and 10-15 for others.

I like the Legs and Deads once a week, although Layne Norton wouldn't approve. Upper body twice a week.

I'd stick with 5-8 for compounds (except deads, no more than 5) and 10-15 for others.

Yeah that's what I was thinking of sticking with

I like the Legs and Deads once a week, although Layne Norton wouldn't approve. Upper body twice a week.
10370448_302056646630629_6303729798050323474_n.jpg

Went for legs first up.. Struggled to walk home. Nice..