• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

4 Day Split (another one)

Some thing like this:

Day 1:

• Dips x 5
  • Chins x 5
  • OHP x 5
  • Side Raise x 3
  • Arms - One or two bicep and tricep exrecise
Day 2
  • Squat x 5
  • Leg Press x 3
  • Leg Ext x 3 (optional)
  • Leg curl x 3
  • SLDL x 3
Day 3 - Off
Day -4
  • Bench x 5
  • Row (Barbell / Cable / T-Bar / Chest Supported or your fav) x 5
  • Rear Delt Raise x 3
  • Shrug x 3
Day 5
  • Deadlift x 5
  • Shrugs x 3 (if not done previously)
  • Abs x Whatever you like
  • Calves - 3 Seated & 3 Standing or Toes Presses
Day 6 - Off or Repeat

That's very good Shrek. You don't think doing Deadlifts on day 5 after doing Rows, Rear Delts and possibly Shrugs on day 4 is a bit much?

Nope. You could have your rest day after that day if you like or do the shrugs on deadlift day.

Why not just stick with compound movements? Multi-jointed. Hit all supporting muscle groups. Unless you're that big that you need to work on the little details with isolation movements

Why not just stick with compound movements? Multi-jointed. Hit all supporting muscle groups. Unless you're that big that you need to work on the little details with isolation movements
Who says he's not doing compound movements?

Last edited:

Bench Press, C.G.Benches, Dips, Pull ups, Barbell curls, Squats, Leg Press. S.L. Deads and Barbell Press last time I looked these were compound movements.

Perhaps Upright Rows instead of Lateral Raises but Upright Rows can be bad. Perhaps Barbell Rows in for Dumbbell Rows but debatable.

All being said I didn't write the program but I don't think its that bad.

I'm gonna copy that routine

lately been doing the push/pull/legs routine and for a good portion of last year it was 5 on - 2 off one bodypart a day train whole body once a week.

The 'one bodypart per day' routines are not so good for natural athletes IMO.

Doing one body part per day on a 5 or 6 day split, you're going to be tempted to pad out the workout with isolation moves which give less bang for buck than compound.

If I could squat and deadlift right now, i would sub out things like hammer machine rows and stuff like that, but unfortunately I can't.

As a side note, I rarely train arms and delts, and they are by far my best body part. Ironically, I don't spend much time at all on these muscle groups. I figure all the pulling and pressing movements hit them nicely. That's just been my experience. Spending hours working my arms and delts and doing cable crossovers usually had the opposite effect of what I was trying to achieve

where is the evidence that compound movements are any better than one body part per day or per week in regard to bb.

And why would doing both compound and isolation movements, like many champion bb's do, actually make much difference?

Because the champion BB's you speak of are on a gram of test per week plus all the rest. It kinda helps with recovery.

I really don't care about 'evidence'. You can look for the academic literature and texts and theorise about this theory and that. I'm 39, training for over 20 years and I know what works for me.

If adding some cable tricep kickbacks on top of your close grip bench presses works for you, that's awesome.

I was simply stating what has worked for me.

Some thing like this:

Day 1:

• Dips x 5
  • Chins x 5
  • OHP x 5
  • Side Raise x 3
  • Arms - One or two bicep and tricep exrecise
Day 2
  • Squat x 5
  • Leg Press x 3
  • Leg Ext x 3 (optional)
  • Leg curl x 3
  • SLDL x 3
Day 3 - Off
Day -4
  • Bench x 5
  • Row (Barbell / Cable / T-Bar / Chest Supported or your fav) x 5
  • Rear Delt Raise x 3
  • Shrug x 3
Day 5
  • Deadlift x 5
  • Shrugs x 3 (if not done previously)
  • Abs x Whatever you like
  • Calves - 3 Seated & 3 Standing or Toes Presses
Day 6 - Off or Repeat

What sort of rep ranges would you be looking at for this [MENTION=895]Shrek[/MENTION];

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Because the champion BB's you speak of are on a gram of test per week plus all the rest. It kinda helps with recovery.

I really don't care about 'evidence'. You can look for the academic literature and texts and theorise about this theory and that. I'm 39, training for over 20 years and I know what works for me.

If adding some cable tricep kickbacks on top of your close grip bench presses works for you, that's awesome.

I was simply stating what has worked for me.

fair enough, I have gone back to doing both.

Funny thing is I cut and pasted the wrong routine. This was the one I meant to post lol. Same dude wrote both routines. (Although I'll be doing Darkoz's Push/Pull/Legs variation instead).

Monday - Shoulders and Triceps
Shoulders
Smith Machine Shoulder Press 4 12,10,8,6
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 4 12,10,8,6
Dumbbell Reverse Fly 4 12,10,8,6
Dumbbell Shrugs 4 12,10,8,6

Triceps
Lying Tricep Extension 3 10,8,6
One Arm Cable Extension 3 10,8,6
One Arm Dumbbell Extension 3 10,8,6

Tuesday - Back
Back
Wide Grip Pull Up 4 12,10,8,6
Close Grip Pull Down 4 12,10,8,6
One Arm Dumbbell Row 4 12,10,8,6
Bent Over Barbell Row 4 12,10,8,6

Wednesday - Rest Day

Thursday - Chest and Biceps
Chest
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 12,10,8,6
Barbell Bench Press 4 12,10,8,6
Incline Dumbbell Flys 4 12,10,8,6
Cable Crossovers 4 12,10,8,6

Biceps
Incline Dumbbell Curl 3 10,8,6
Preacher Curl 3 10,8,6
Standing Hammer Curl 3 10,8,6

Friday - Legs
Quads, Hamstrings and Glutes
Squat 4 12,10,8,6
45 Degree Leg Press 4 12,10,8,6
Leg Extension 4 12,10,8,6
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 4 12,10,8,6

Calves
Seated calf Raise 3 10,8,8
Standing Calf Raise 3 15,12,10

Saturday and Sunday - Rest Days

[MENTION=17517]jmc123[/MENTION]; one or two more isolations here mate. Chill, no one prefers compounds more than me. I just spent a lot of workouts trying to do Chins in such a way that they hit the Biceps harder so I wouldn't have to do Curls. :)