• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Advice of Program

Fair enough Mick.

I'm going to take a guess that you're a bigger, heavier set guy (maybe not over 5"10?)? I was showing a mate, who's just getting back into gym, conventional deads on the weekend and it was a real struggle. We are both about 6"1, but his legs and arms are just so damn long and it looked awkward for the first few sets. He managed to dead 80kg, but it wasn't pretty. Whereas, with the SLDL he can probably do a similar weight (perhaps lower, say 60kg) but really work the intended muscles (without fear of ruining his back). We took a video, I'm tempted to chuck it up (if he agrees) and see what you guys think - as it will be helpful for me too.

As for incline bench, that comment is based on the issues that seem to pop up in the shoulder from regular flat barbell bench and to avoid over-development of the bottom 1/2-2/3 of the chest.

6'2" here. I just do regular dead lifts twice a week.

Incline gave me shoulder issues thats one of the reasons I stopped doing them, shoulder issues gone since I just flat bench twice a week.

Like I said everyone is different, just need to find what works for each person, whats good for one might not work for another.

I've never done SLDL. But when i do 90kg deadlift I feel like my lower back is going to go. Or it just doesn't feel that great. Perhaps I should be doing SLDL instead?

Maybe its a good idea to put that in rather than just normal deadlift? Maybe i'll try both and see which one i like better....you guys clearly prefer one over the other?

I've never done SLDL. But when i do 90kg deadlift I feel like my lower back is going to go. Or it just doesn't feel that great. Perhaps I should be doing SLDL instead?

Maybe its a good idea to put that in rather than just normal deadlift? Maybe i'll try both and see which one i like better....you guys clearly prefer one over the other?

Maybe try get someone to teach you normal deads first. Test it for a good period. If it just isn't working for you, switch to SLDLs and just rely on heavy rows and chins to grow your back. If it does work for you, then definitely stick with it as it is an incredible exercise.

Where do you live??

May be head to one of the PTC gyms for some coaching on the lifts, I have a feeling your doing it wrong.

Most general PT's don't know how to do these lifts either.

I went to PTC Sydney and learned how to do all the main compound lifts correctly.

I am worried your not doing it right and your going to injure yourself. Please seek out some form advice. When I deadlift my lower back feels tired but not sore.

I think it might of just been tiredness / bad posture (as have been studying for an exam the last week and laying on my bed so thats what it would of been). I know my forms correct. I think with the 5/3/1 i just jumped up a lot of weight quickly without developing much. I've just dropped weight back to 80kg now I'm doing like 3x8 instead of 5/3/1 which maxes at like 5 reps. I did it yesterday and it felt great. Just going to stick with this program.

I did find it interesting that i had to drop back around 10kg in bench and deadlifts as I was struggling to get 8.

Either way going to stick with the 2 day split and hit it hard 6 days a week and get these numbers up slowly but surely.