• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Advice on pre/post workout nutrition & supplements.

piecone

I'm interested in advice about before workout & post-workout nutrition plus perhaps some modest supplementation.

I was thinking about a banana around 1.5 hours before a workout, but wonder if anyone has some advice on best fuel? During workout, I'm just drinking water, should I look at some sort of sports drink instead? Would I be better off eating something immediately afterwards like an 'energy bar' or similar (before I get home & before evening meal).

My goals are to increase muscle and drop some fat/weight, so what BB supplements would be best? There's heaps out there, so maybe not an easy question to answer (and what works for one person might not work for another). Maybe an 'all purpose' type that generically provides protein, aminos etc?

A good meal 2 hours before is best for energy, filled with good foods of course.

Afterwards, meh, can have milk, protein, anything really, or just a big dinner

I personally have a bowl of oats with a couple fruit pieces and a bit of milk all mixed in no less than 30 minutes before a workout; provides me with a good amount of energy throughout the workout as oats is a complex slow digesting carb so you'll have continuous energy for your workout. You could substitute it with rice or wholesome carbs, really if you wanted.

During my workout i sip on water, i add a few teaspoons of pure dextrose powder to keep my glycogen levels up. Dextrose is a fast carb which will create an insulin spike - when training, your muscles loose glycogen and become very insulin sensitive.

Post workout i have 40G of WPC with a bit of dextrose again to get insulin up to get the protein into the blood stream; at this stage insulin acts with anabolic activities restoring muscle/blood glycogen levels and delivering protein to your muscles.

Basically stick to good carbs and maybe a bit of fruit before your workout to supply your body with energy, and a good source of protein like a shake; if dinners on the plan as soon as your rock up home, have a bit of the shake and eat dinner, finish off the shake after.