• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bands

^^ but by making it harder wouldn't it make you need to get stronger to pull more..

?

Just the pull part that is..

Although adding more weight might be easier..

Bands and chains change the resistance curve though and make it harder as you get higher so in an exercise like cleans where you use power off the ground and are relying on momentum for your body to get in under the bar the bands would take the momentum out of the bar.

I think that makes sense, Markos if you can understand that can you please let me know (in your own special way ha ha ha) if I'm full of shit or I'm on the right track....

Arthur's Chains

One of the most effective training ideas, and one I dearly wish I would have thought of first, was revealed to the world by Arthur Jones in 1970. No, I’m not referring to the first Nautilus Pullover machine, although that too was a step into another dimension. It was the use of heavy gauge chain to provide variable resistance while using a barbell.

Arthur advised the trainee to attach this heavy duty chain to each end of the barbell or pulley, so that additional links of chain were lifted off the floor as the exercise was taken closer and closer to the point of full contraction. As a muscle’s ability to contract strongly increased, or leverage factors improved, more weight could be used. With the addition of the chains, one was lifting more weight as the barbell was moved further. Not perfect, and certainly more effective in some movements than others, but a tremendous improvement in the effectiveness of most conventional exercises.

I recommend the heaviest chain one can find. Nautical stock makes for a far more difficult, yet productive workout than the usual hardware store or Sears fare, so take the time to look around. Depending upon the type of bar being used, the chains can be attached by a variety of simple and efficient methods. This small alteration in technique can increase exercise productivity more than you can imagine.

Arthur's Chains

One of the most effective training ideas, and one I dearly wish I would have thought of first, was revealed to the world by Arthur Jones in 1970. No, I’m not referring to the first Nautilus Pullover machine, although that too was a step into another dimension. It was the use of heavy gauge chain to provide variable resistance while using a barbell.

Arthur advised the trainee to attach this heavy duty chain to each end of the barbell or pulley, so that additional links of chain were lifted off the floor as the exercise was taken closer and closer to the point of full contraction. As a muscle’s ability to contract strongly increased, or leverage factors improved, more weight could be used. With the addition of the chains, one was lifting more weight as the barbell was moved further. Not perfect, and certainly more effective in some movements than others, but a tremendous improvement in the effectiveness of most conventional exercises.

I recommend the heaviest chain one can find. Nautical stock makes for a far more difficult, yet productive workout than the usual hardware store or Sears fare, so take the time to look around. Depending upon the type of bar being used, the chains can be attached by a variety of simple and efficient methods. This small alteration in technique can increase exercise productivity more than you can imagine.

You going to reference that?

No self respecting powerlifting/strength gym would be caught dead without chains now.

Arthur was definitely ahead of his time.

Bought a strap from bunnings for $7.00. It's 1.2m long, 2cm wide, and has enclosed clips on the ends (ie not super dangerous hooks). It will probably break in the next few weeks, but I can get 3 chin ups out of it atm. I'm sure it will last me long enough to get me going.

Cheers,

Aaron.

When I first got my power rack I couldn't do a single pullup. I tried negatives but soon discarded that....too boring/frustrating.

I went to Lat Pulldown instead, increased the weight over a period of several weeks. After a while I went back to chins and suddenly found I could do a few. Now I can do around 10-11 on my first set, 6-8 on latter sets.

I was never very good at pushups. I started doing girl pushups everyday until I could get to 20 reps. Then I started on full pushups, would go to max, and then make up the balance of 20 out of girl pushups.

What are peoples thoughts on doing this for chins? I think my arms would be too hammered to make any progress on chins if I incorporated them into my sessions. Would it have any negative impact if I did them on 3 of my off days?

In reality, it would only be a 10 minute session on my off days, and my body would also have a full day per week with no specific exercises.

I've also just emailed AK for a quote on some kettlebells. The missus and I are going to be doing tabata 3 days per week to shape up. I think my general lack of aerobic fitness will definitely impact on my capacity to keep energy levels up as my weights increase.

Cheers,

Aaron.

I got Nina to 16 WGC by starting with negatives, then ladder.

There is no point going to failure, so she would simply climb the ladder to 3, then 5 etc

If this gets a woman to 16, why on earth wouldnt a guy use this system?

Ok. So do you think it's ok to do these on 'off' days? Or even every day?

1x1, 1x2, 1x3,1x2, 1x1 ...

Cheers,

Aaron.

Have never used bands, but I got my wide-grip chinups from barely 3 reps to 9 or 10 reps for a few sets by doing DB Rows. Took about a month or so.