• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Barbel squats = painful

So DO get a roller massager?

Up to you.. it's not an answer to all problems.. but they cost like $50 and occasionally come in handy.

For your shoulder/chest tightness, you're probably better off with a tennis ball and stretching.

I find this the quickest and easiest before squatting...

Called a door stretch but works perfect in squat rack

doorwaystretch.jpg

Once I saw a lion do a series of stretches before a kill.

He got it from a book.

Once I saw a lion do a series of stretches before a kill.

He got it from a book.

Funny u say that, when my beloved, overgrown and and extremely dopey, boxer was still with us, all I had to do was say they word, leash, and he would go into a full stretch routine.
Front legs and shoulders first and hind quarters second, the he'd give him self a good shake (or a lick of the balls) and stick his neck out for his chocker to go on.
Was a ritual, he never missed his stretches, shame I didn't learn from him.

This is simply a mobility issue - check out some of these articles - follow this and you should be right - dont be lazy with things such as stretching/foam rolling etc etc some people are more prone to getting tight muscles/or prone to being tight in different areas so it is important if you do have an issue is work on it because it could mean the difference between being able to perform the exercise currently or not - Please read -

Should mobility for squatting -

http://www.ericcressey.com/newsletter144html

Different stretches etc -

http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/

http://stronglifts.com/squats-improve-shoulder-flexibility-how-to/

http://stronglifts.com/squats-improve-posture-flexibility-how-to/

Foam rolling and mobility work must be bro-science now :rolleyes: what a fucking joke - athletes have been doing this stuff for years - dont listen to people with no experience.

Last edited:
This is simply a mobility issue - check out some of these articles - follow this and you should be right - dont be lazy with things such as stretching/foam rolling etc etc some people are more prone to getting tight muscles/or prone to being tight in different areas so it is important if you do have an issue is work on it because it could mean the difference between being able to perform the exercise currently or not - Please read -

Should mobility for squatting -

http://www.ericcressey.com/newsletter144html

Different stretches etc -

http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/

http://stronglifts.com/squats-improve-shoulder-flexibility-how-to/

http://stronglifts.com/squats-improve-posture-flexibility-how-to/

Foam rolling and mobility work must be bro-science now :rolleyes: what a fucking joke - athletes have been doing this stuff for years - dont listen to people with no experience.

Lol Joel. Foam rolling and mobility work are reasonably new. When I got a foam roller not that many years ago I had to order it from the US because no one sold them here. Same with bands for mobility stuff.

I wonder what did athletes do before everyone started to roll around on a foam roller or do whatever mobility work was in fashion at the time. They must not have even been able to get out of bed.

Over 30 years I've had my fair share of aches and pains and mucles spasms, but no serious injury, i can pretty much do any exercise pain free.

I'm now of the firm opinion that aches and pains are mostly due to age and not doing exercise correctly, the body will heal by themselves through natural process; through rest good food and the occasional pain killer followed by the "correct exercise".

massage, balls and rollers have been nice when muscle spasms appear and brings relief.

Stretching?
if someone gives you a pre or post stretching program, give them $10 and walk away.
Stretching will not improve mobility, but it feels good and is relaxing.

That's just my opinion, and I am personally more interested in reading stuff by people that aren't trying to sell something..

Funny u say that, when my beloved, overgrown and and extremely dopey, boxer was still with us, all I had to do was say they word, leash, and he would go into a full stretch routine.
Front legs and shoulders first and hind quarters second, the he'd give him self a good shake (or a lick of the balls) and stick his neck out for his chocker to go on.
Was a ritual, he never missed his stretches, shame I didn't learn from him.

My point is that it is interesting to see that when any animal including us is rested and then forced to flee or fight, they dont go through a set sequence of stretching exercises just before hand.

I wonder what did athletes do before everyone started to roll around on a foam roller or do whatever mobility work was in fashion at the time. They must not have even been able to get out of bed.

A lot of athletes got massages done back then and still do, foam roller is just a way to give yourself a bit of a massage, nothing new there.

My point is that it is interesting to see that when any animal including us is rested and then forced to flee or fight, they dont go through a set sequence of stretching exercises just before hand.

You can't be serious, so an animals/person's life is in danger and you expect it to stretch before moving?? This is up there with one of the dumbest things I have read in a long time.

There is a flight or fight response that injects adrenaline into your system that makes you move and not feel pain. Then once the situation is over the body will deal with the injury pain caused by the sudden movement. I remember braking my foot in a full contact kick boxing match, was about half way through the second round, I finished the fight as I felt no pain till about three hours after the fight, went to hospital and was told I had a really bad beak in my right foot, I do remember when it happened but did not think it was broken as I felt no pain during the whole match. It's just what your body does.

Have you ever noticed that pretty much all animals will stretch extensively after a rest and before activity, I even seen our cat get up have a stretching session and lay back down to keep sleeping. If it gets up is will stretch extensively before moving off, bigger cats and dogs do the same thing.

A lot of athletes got massages done back then and still do, foam roller is just a way to give yourself a bit of a massage, nothing new there.

You can't be serious, so an animals/person's life is in danger and you expect it to stretch before moving?? This is up there with one of the dumbest things I have read in a long time.

There is a flight or fight response that injects adrenaline into your system that makes you move and not feel pain. Then once the situation is over the body will deal with the injury pain caused by the sudden movement. I remember braking my foot in a full contact kick boxing match, was about half way through the second round, I finished the fight as I felt no pain till about three hours after the fight, went to hospital and was told I had a really bad beak in my right foot, I do remember when it happened but did not think it was broken as I felt no pain during the whole match. It's just what your body does.

Have you ever noticed that pretty much all animals will stretch extensively after a rest and before activity, I even seen our cat get up have a stretching session and lay back down to keep sleeping. If it gets up is will stretch extensively before moving off, bigger cats and dogs do the same thing.

As per usual, you are as smart as a bag of hair.

Hey guys,

Having an issue when doing my barbel squats, my shoulders and arms are not very flexible at all and i struggle to hold the bar as i do my routine.

What is a good stretch to do to get my shoulders and arms flexible enough to grip the bar better?

I struggle with flexibility in the shoulders as well.

I do 2 types of stretch before squatting:

1. Shoulder dislocations - usually do 3 times 5 or 6 rotations

2. put my hands on the barbell while it's racked and lean my body forward so my arms stretch up and behind my body (sorry not sure what the name of this stretch is) - usually do 3 times for 15 seconds.

I've found if I do both of these stretches it helps loosen everything up a bit.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quick cheers to all, been stretching my chest and arms heaps, has helped a lot with squats :) Will keep stretching every chance i get

Have a look on All Things Gym in the mobiklity section, Oly lifters have some really good tricks.

Also Kelly Starrett (mobility WOD) on you tube is good

and Athlete_development on Instagram.

Hope this helps.