• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beginner full body vs imbalance training

DKD

Private Dancer
I'm sure a lot of beginners out there have naturally more prominent body parts than others. Some guys genetically may have thick legs, but thinner upper body. Narrow shoulders or hunched forward shoulders. Really skinny legs. You get the picture. There are many body types out there.

Should every beginner just do one of the routines that are always promoted here, or something different? If different, what type of adjustments should be made?

If we say just stick with full body, might this make their unbalanced body part even more prominent eg guy with naturally thick legs squatting 3 times a week.

Last edited:
I consider the first part just building a strength base where minimal hypertrophy is likely to occur.

People with overly hunched shoulders are about the only "group" I'd treat any differently (outside people with injuries etc obviously)

I'm sure a lot of beginners out there have naturally more prominent body parts than others. Some guys genetically may have thick legs, but thinner upper body. Narrow shoulders or hunched forward shoulders. Really skinny legs. You get the picture. There are many body types out there.

Should every beginner just do one of the routines that are always promoted here, or something different? If different, what type of adjustments should be made?

If we say just stick with full body, might this make their unbalanced body part even more prominent eg guy with naturally thick legs squatting 3 times a week.

DKD, good question.

Is the person interested in bodybuilding, exercising to supplement a sport played, general well-being?

Either way;
I think a beginner or someone not use to strenuous exercise should workout every day on the basic exercises for at least 2 weeks, maybe four depending on the person and their condition.

A good trainer should design a template with an emphasis on exercises the person needs to be successful at whatever their pursuit is.

A good trainer should design a template with an emphasis on exercises the person needs to be successful at whatever their pursuit is.

I agree with this comment Andy. Problem is many newbies on here don't have the benefit of a trainer and train by themselves. I find it interesting the idea of what type of adjustments are required for guys who don't have a typically "standard" body type. My post was aimed at more the aesthetic or bodybuilding pursuit, rather than strength or sports performance.

This is purely anecdotal, however...

Speaking as a beginner who started out with far better leg strength than anywhere else (thanks to years of stair climbing and recent jogging in a hilly area), with compound exercises the weaker parts of your body tend to do more work at first anyhow. You cannot help but focus extra work on your weaker areas when doing a full body routine.

The same applies to having a stronger right arm/shoulder than left arm/shoulder (as a right handed person), at first presses tend to be off balance but soon the two even out without the need to work on the left in isolation. This is a very short term thing, however over several weeks I am noticing a similar trend with upper body/back strenght making big gains and catching up with my legs, which dont get a chance to work very hard as the rest of my body could not cope with the weight required in squats/deadlifts in order to do so.

DKD, this is where I would jump in and tell the beginner to be their own expert, I'm not too keen on PT's

The problem I see today is beginners idolize the champions/the gifted and cherry pick...bit here and there without really thinking about it.

I've made that mistake when I was younger and paid the price.

I've spoken to many, and still do observe older men whom are still actively training, the common theme from all of these blokes is; work hard, work brief and above all make sure it is safe.

I am so much more open minded about the Iron Game today.

After over 30 years I’ve learned a lot.

There are a LOT of things that work.
Lifting weights works! No matter how you do it! Efficiency is really the biggest difference.

Eventually, everyone will run out of gains. Then there is the safety difference. Increased danger does not mean better results.

I have friends in the Iron Game who are bodybuilders, powerlifters, athletes, weekend warriors, strength coaches, and more.
We are all brothers and sisters in Iron. We love to lift weights. I do not agree with them all obviously. But, then again, I would be stupid to think I know all the answers. If I did, I would be a millionaire because I would have figured out the “perfect routine” for gains!

Regardless of which part is dominant, (95% of us have at least one or two areas were a body-part is or appears to be developed) one must learn to exercise correctly, most importantly with the multi joint exercises, as someone once said; "Practice makes perfect; as long as you practice perfectly.* Practicing mistakes makes for perfect mistakes."

The other 4% of the population are extremely well developed, the remaining 1% are well ahead of everyone and are that way in spite of their routine, not because of it, it's why I like the quote; "you cannot make chicken soup out of chicken shit"

I was always taught that a true beginner should focus on increasing strength throughout the body (like starting strength for example) and only when the beginner gains have gone start doing more specialized training.

Using myself as an example, I did starting strength for 6 months and then got put on some weird Sheiko routine which was pretty much the same but pendlay rows instead of bench press and active recovery loaded stretching for assistance work. Did good mornings with about 30% of my squat for 5x5, dumbbell bench press to stretch out the pecs and lunges