• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beginner here: looking for a beginner squat routine

S

stupid

I'm new to lifting weights and am looking for a squat routine that includes things like how many reps and sets I should do.

At the moment I'm doing:

Set 1 - light weight 10-12 reps to warm up
Set 2 - 10-12 reps easy but not that easy medium sort of weight
Set 3 - 10-12 reps of as heavy I can lift in that rep range
Set 4 - 4-6 reps of as heavy as I can lift in that rep range

I really have no idea. Should I include deadlifts in the same workout as squats or is that too much? Can I lift squats everyday or should I only lift every second or third day??? High reps, low reps, lots of sets not many sets.

I am guessing if I can't keep close to 95% good form I should lower the weight? Lots of bigger people at the gym don't so I have no idea.

Any tips for beginners would be good.

Thanks in advance.

Pick a rep range, stick to it and tried to add a kilo or 2 each workout. What else are you doing?

Do strong lifts or Starting strength for 3months.... Then you'll be able to answer your question yourself..

I'm new to lifting weights and am looking for a squat routine that includes things like how many reps and sets I should do.

At the moment I'm doing:

Set 1 - light weight 10-12 reps to warm up
Set 2 - 10-12 reps easy but not that easy medium sort of weight
Set 3 - 10-12 reps of as heavy I can lift in that rep range
Set 4 - 4-6 reps of as heavy as I can lift in that rep range

I really have no idea. Should I include deadlifts in the same workout as squats or is that too much? Can I lift squats everyday or should I only lift every second or third day??? High reps, low reps, lots of sets not many sets.

I am guessing if I can't keep close to 95% good form I should lower the weight? Lots of bigger people at the gym don't so I have no idea.

Any tips for beginners would be good.

Thanks in advance.

Hang on, hang on...

how new are you to lifting?

if this is the first time you've stuck a bar on your back i suggest this and this goes with all exercises;

depending on your fatness and condition and your ability to learn , this could take from 2 weeks to 2 months..

*Pick a weight that you can easily do 10 reps and do three sets, take a minute between sets.
*Do this every day, dont increase the weight, dont worry about about muscle sorness, just do this every day *every day*.
*When you are completly happy that you are doing the exercises safely, report back to this thread for thoughts on a beginner program that will suit *you* (your goals)
*There will be plenty of recommendations, there are hundreds of protocols.
We'll go from there.

Hang on, hang on...

how new are you to lifting?

if this is the first time you've stuck a bar on your back i suggest this and this goes with all exercises;

depending on your fatness and condition and your ability to learn , this could take from 2 weeks to 2 months..

*Pick a weight that you can easily do 10 reps and do three sets, take a minute between sets.
*Do this every day, dont increase the weight, dont worry about about muscle sorness, just do this every day *every day*.
*When you are completly happy that you are doing the exercises safely, report back to this thread for thoughts on a beginner program that will suit *you* (your goals)
*There will be plenty of recommendations, there are hundreds of protocols.
We'll go from there.

Pretty new. Form is a problem as I don't know anyone else that lifts weights I can get advice from and have never seen anyone at the gym I go to actually doing squats. Thanks I'll do the 3x sets 10x reps every day thing for a couple of months.