• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

beginner powerlifting program

tasgymbrah

Hey,

I recently started doing a beginner powerlifting program. Program consists of squat, bench press, tricep extensions monday/friday, and deadlift, bent over row, bicep curl wednesday.

My squat was 100kg and my deadlift 180kg, I am lifting 10kg heavier on them now. My bench hasn't and is feeling shit, I can pump out 5 reps @ 100kg but they are slow as fuck, should I decrease the weight?

Also I am getting sore in my knees, the right one particularly, should I get wraps or not? My technique is not bad but I have been wearing running shoes.

I can't comment too much, but are you sure your technique is good? And the runners probably aren't the best?

I say this as pretty much they were two questions on squats I had to sort.

Some of the more experienced guys will probably check in soon, but will probably ask these questions first up.

My technique feels quite good at the moment, no leaning forward at the bottom of the squat and squatting deep. I will buy some flat shoes soon to see if it helps.

I think my knees were okay, but I'll pay attention to it when I squat again on friday to see what they were doing. By the way what do you think is the optimum number of sets and reps for bench/squat/deadlift? I have been doing 5x5 with 3 mins rest between sets but I am finding it is taking along time to complete my workout.

I'm a noob lol

Program needs more rows. Also when do you progress?

Technique should never be judged by feel when you're a newbie. Get someone who knows good technique to check it or post up a video.

Mate I'm as much a noob as you, and was/still am asking many of the same questions.

First thing to do is pick a program. There's a few going around, including the PTC one on this forum, which is highly rated.

Personally I went with "Starting Strength" - a number of other guys here are doing this also, so felt good picking something some others were also going through. I chose it initially because there are plenty of videos to go with it, a good book, and a large community of people using it worldwide. This helped to answer some of my more noob questions! See Starting Strength Wiki as a start.

That said I'm not stuck to this program, just following it initially. Goal is to get 140-100-180kg for squat-bench-deadlift - from what I can tell, we need to consider ourselves beginners until we can hit roughly those weights.

Specific to squat, I was pointed towards these videos the other day, which seem informative.

So You Think You Can Squat (Parts 1-5)

I'm told the most important thing is to get a good coach to do some initial 'form establishment' sessions with you, to get your form setup, workout what the right weights are, and away you go from there on your program.

I'm actually doing this for the first time on Saturday - hoping it is money well spent.

Hope this helps.

Yeah I've really struggled with finding the right position so that I can't feel anything in my knees when I squat.

I'm going to check out that link and I'll be hitting lower body either tonight or Friday morning, so *fingers crossed*.

ignore everything in that "so you think you can squat" video
you're a raw lifter not a multi-ply lifter. squatting is completely different
Use the form that Mark Rippetoe demonstrates, then widen your stance over time as flexibility increases... squatting like a geared lifter when your raw will give shitty results

ignore everything in that "so you think you can squat" video
you're a raw lifter not a multi-ply lifter. squatting is completely different
Use the form that Mark Rippetoe demonstrates, then widen your stance over time as flexibility increases... squatting like a geared lifter when your raw will give shitty results

See I am at the same level as the OP, and I have the Rippetoe videos, and then get given direct advice off this forum to look at the "so you think you can squat" video... and I do see a difference between them - e.g. the first thing I noticed was head position and where you focus your eyes. So I am getting more confused than ever also. So much information out there, which is right and wrong?

Will see what happens with my coaching session.

tasgymbrah - my suggestion more than ever is to see someone (with the right qualifications) about your form. We're in a similar position, and the question I'm asking myself is what advice/videos/articles to follow and what not to follow? We're not in the best position to really know as rookies.

See I am at the same level as the OP, and I have the Rippetoe videos, and then get given direct advice off this forum to look at the "so you think you can squat" video... and I do see a difference between them - e.g. the first thing I noticed was head position and where you focus your eyes. So I am getting more confused than ever also. So much information out there, which is right and wrong?

Will see what happens with my coaching session.

tasgymbrah - my suggestion more than ever is to see someone (with the right qualifications) about your form. We're in a similar position, and the question I'm asking myself is what advice/videos/articles to follow and what not to follow? We're not in the best position to really know as rookies.

IMHO, read / watch all of them, note what is common between them all, and follow that.

The stuff that conflicts (i.e. Rips look down, everyone else says look straight up) try each way and see what works for you.

Well Rippetoe is teaching the raw squat
the SYTYCS video is for multi-ply squats

People forget this shit all the time. If you read something and multi-ply lifting is even inferred then forget about the article altogether. Honestly just ignore it. It will only confuse you. Or take up geared lifting and then ignore all the raw stuff you see.

Read these articles, they are by Paul Carter who is a raw lifter (no belt no wraps):
LIFT-RUN-BANG: Developing your raw squat - Pt. I
LIFT-RUN-BANG: Developing your raw squat - Pt. 2
LIFT-RUN-BANG: Developing your raw squat - Pt. 3

These articles are by Jamie Lewis who is a few KGs off a world record that's stood for 40 years. Also a raw lifter:
ChAoS & PAIN: Squatting Like You're The CEO of the Paper Street Soap Company #1
ChAoS & PAIN: Squatting Like You're The CEO of the Paper Street Soap Company #2- Wipe Your Ass With The Mona Lisa

IMHO, read / watch all of them, note what is common between them all, and follow that.

The stuff that conflicts (i.e. Rips look down, everyone else says look straight up) try each way and see what works for you.

Spoken by a man using his brains.

The good morning is a good exercise, as long as you don't go heavy. I usually use 35-40% of my squat for a few sets of 6, focusing on maximal stretch and an explosive concentric. This is the only time I've ever gotten anything decent out of them