• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beginner's equipment

I have bumper plates and my opinion on them is that unless you are going full on into Olympic lifting ( powercleans don't count) you are better off saving your cash for something else and getting normal plates.

Well I don't want to limit myself to save a few dollars, I would rather get it now then regret not buying it later. The one thing I am undecided on is should I go for a rack or an adjustable bench(http://www.gymandfitness.com.au/force-usa-adjustable-olympic-bench-system-combo.html#.Utz-E424aP8)
A rack is more expensive as I would need to buy the rack and a separate bench. The bench system which I linked above seems very decent for the price.

You'll regret buying one of those rubbish combo benches. You get no safety for squats, limited to no safety benching and when you factor in leaving space behind it to squat in it will take up more room than a rack.

Cut back 3-400 on the type of plates you buy and get a proper rack or half rack and separate bench.

You'll regret buying one of those rubbish combo benches. You get no safety for squats, limited to no safety benching and when you factor in leaving space behind it to squat in it will take up more room than a rack.

Cut back 3-400 on the type of plates you buy and get a proper rack or half rack and separate bench.

Any suggestions as to what bumper plates I could buy?
I was doing some research and that's what everyone keeps saying that there is no safety for squats. Aside from the safety factor is there any reason to avoid the combo bench?
In terms of space, its not an issue as I will have as much space as I need in 1 month when I move.

Do you actually need bumpers? Unless you are literally dropping full height there is not much point. They take up lots more space, are harder to load by not having grips, can't fit as much weight on bars.

Safety is a bigger issue benching and that gives you little to none if it goes wrong - then you die.

I would go rubber coated weights and a good bench and rack - far better use of that amount of money. I had that bench in the free standing model but with the leg curl and preacher attachments - both of those add ons were awkward and have little to no adjustment.

Other negatives on fixed benches - very hard to do any type of dumbbell work like benching, tri work etc because frame as well as leg attachment get in the way..

Seriously know at least 5 people, me included who bought one and sold it within 3-4 months after realizing what they are like to train on.

If you are insistent on bumpers, this is a very cheap deal - but can't vouch on quality..
http://www.urbanfitnesssupplies.com/detail/bumper-plate-set

Do you actually need bumpers? Unless you are literally dropping full height there is not much point. They take up lots more space, are harder to load by not having grips, can't fit as much weight on bars.

Safety is a bigger issue benching and that gives you little to none if it goes wrong - then you die.

I would go rubber coated weights and a good bench and rack - far better use of that amount of money. I had that bench in the free standing model but with the leg curl and preacher attachments - both of those add ons were awkward and have little to no adjustment.

Other negatives on fixed benches - very hard to do any type of dumbbell work like benching, tri work etc because frame as well as leg attachment get in the way..

Seriously know at least 5 people, me included who bought one and sold it within 3-4 months after realizing what they are like to train on.

If you are insistent on bumpers, this is a very cheap deal - but can't vouch on quality..
http://www.urbanfitnesssupplies.com/detail/bumper-plate-set

I would prefer to have the bumpers so i cover all bases.

I've pretty much decided to purchase a garage gym package from MDAUS to get a general package and to change from the Pendlay Econs to the black elites. I will also remove the squat rack as i will be either buying or having a rack made. From here on i will purchase all other equipment as i learn/progress. The total package with the black elites and minus the squat rack comes in at $1700. http://www.muscledriverau.com.au/Mens-Garage-Gym-Package_p_145.html

Well for the past week i have been researching equipment again and with the 15% off sale that gym and fitness is offering its a good motivator to make a decision on what to purchase.
The purchases that i am pretty much set on (unless someone can provide a better option) are as follows:
Bench: Force USA - FID Bench - Home Use | Strength Equipment
Also a plain flat bench to accommodate the above bench. (i can easily weld one up)
Rack:Option 1
http://www.gymdirect.com.au/shop/st.../power-rack-with-dip-bar-and-high-low-pulley/
Option 2
Power Rack Lat Pull Down System - Force USA | Gym and Fitness
I like the Force USA one as i can add a pec deck attachment for 150 but that brings the price to $1100 while the Gym direct one is $747. I decided that as much as i want a commercial one a standard one will suit my needs.
Bar: Any cheap bar allowing $150, this will be upgraded once i feel i need it.
Weights: i have confirmed that i want bumper weights but am unsure of which ones to buy.
Option 1 Pendlay Econ V2 150KG @ $800 MuscleDriver Pendlay Econ V2 Bumper Plates | Gym Equipment
Option 2 Force USA training bumper plates 140KG @ $840 Force USA Training Bumper Plates - Coloured
I believe there is a 15% off on option 1 and 2
Option 3 Muscle motion 150KG Bumper weight set@ 699 although 10% off with AUSBB discount? http://www.gymdirect.com.au/shop/we...plates/muscle-motion-150kg-bumper-weight-set/

I am going to gym and fitness tomorrow to take a look at what they have on offer and will hopefully make a decision either tomorrow or monday which is when the 15% sale ends.

Last edited:
Well I'm pretty much decided on what I'm purchasing, i went to Gym and fitness aswell as Gym direct to check out the equipment and the muscle motion stuff seems to be of good quality for the price.
I have requested a quote and am waiting for a reply so hopefully within the next few weeks i can pick up my items. The only thing I'm not 100% on is the bumper plates, i can get Pendlay econ V2's for only $80 more than the muscle motion bumpers (Set of 150kg) but then i have to pay extra shipping for the Pendlays which i can't imagine being less than $100.