• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bench pressing

PowerBuilder

Does anybody here do an incline and flat bench press exercise in the same workout ? What's the logic begun this..

Eg,

Incline bp (weight)(8 reps)(3 sets)
Flat bp (weight)(8 reps)(3 sets)
Other exercises...

I dont do it, but if someone needs to have a higher volume in a workout I dont see a problem really, better than wasting it on 10different types of flys and croosovers

Some do it because they like hitting the harder of the two movements first so the muscles involved are already somewhat fatigued when they get to regular bench.

If it's a Monday, then it's highly likely that all Flat Benches are taken and only Inclines are available =)

I do both. Start with flat barbell bench. Then a type of fly. Then i'll do incline DB presses to target the upper chest.

I rotate dumbell and barbell however as apposed to doing just barbell incline and flat.

Using barbell as strength orientated and dumbell for TUT/reps.

Yeah, I have done this - either BB flat, and DB inc, or BB flat, BB incline. I find I go heavier on the flat 6-8 reps, then aim to hit 10-12 on the inc DB press - really stretching the pecs out.

Did you notice an increase in upper pec size by adding incline movements?

My upper chest seems really underdeveloped in comparison to my lower, but I'm not sure if it'll just fill out or not as my bench really isnt very high at all for someone my size (120kg paused bench at 105kg, 6'5).

I do inline, decline, and flat sometimes all in the same workout sometimes only 2 varients, I also try to change it up between barbell and dumbells, I believe when trying to build muscle all different variations help

I only do flat benching, at this stage. Sometimes I rip out the dumbbells and go all high rep at them. But it's still on a flat bench.

If I ever get the dreaded drooping moobs I'll jump on the incline, sure enough. Flat followed by incline, would be my current guesstimate, for if it ever happens. Seems to be the path of righteousness.

i do both, start with incline BB then some flyes to stretch them out then on to flat DB bench to rerally finish off the muscles

i have found the upper part of my chest filling out more since i have been progressing in incline bench though

Has anyone developed upper chest by doing flat bench only?

Does the lower chest always develop first?

I find having done about 8 months of flat bench only my lower chest is a fair bit more developed than my upper. Some bros say do inclines, other bros say just do flat it will fill out as you get stronger and its all genetics.

Hmm - on that basis, why not just do incline instead of flat then if one version (incline) hits a part of the chest that:
- the other exercise (flat) can't hit very well (if at all?); and
- if not hit, gives your chest a less desirable shape.

Or do you need both to get the pecs of your dreams.

pretty sure that its proven science that incline bench targets specifically upper chest

Fixed.

"It appears that the portion of the pectoral muscle recruited during the bench press is dependent on the direction relative to the trunk in which the muscle must pull the humerus"

Glass, S.C, and T. Armstrong. Electromyographical activity of the pectoralis muscle during incline and decline bench press. J. Strength and Cond. 11(3): 163-167. 1997.

T NATION | Inside the Muscles: Best Chest and Triceps Exercises

T NATION | Building a Bodybuilder Chest

To reiterate. Targets or emphasises, does not isolate.

pretty sure that its proven broscience that incline bench targets specifically upper chest
I can't imagine anyone who's actually practiced both flat and incline bench presses saying what you've just said with any sense of seriousness.

I wouldn't say that incline bench press specifically targets the clavicular head of pec major, per se, but it does mechanically set the lifter up to emphasise the upper pec more than the flat bench does. This is largely because there's more shoulder flexion in incline bench press than flat bench press, and shoulder flexion is performed largely by the anterior deltoids and clavicular head of pec major.

pretty sure that its proven broscience that incline bench targets specifically upper chest

Back in the early days of bodybuilding there was no 'science' when it came to building muscle unlike today, which was a good thing.
The test subjects were the actual people lifting weights to improve their physique and through trial and error they found what worked and what didn't work so well.

Now granted the early pioneers of bodybuilding probably didn't know WHY a certain thing worked however, they didn't care why it worked, they just knew that it DID work, so if they found that doing an exercise a particular way gave them a fuller upper chest then that's what they did.

Now today people call it bro science, mainly because they don't know themselves through their own inexperience of what actually works and what doesn't when it comes to building muscle.