• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bench pressing

Do incline and decline actually make a difference to chest development? I was under the impression that you couldn't target the upper chest.

Do incline and decline actually make a difference to chest development? I was under the impression that you couldn't target the upper chest.

There is evidence to show that there is marginal emphasis.

The bench press and its variations are not good pec builders, the DB fly however is.

If you look at pictures of Arnold from when he was young and compare them with much later pics you will see the only thing that's changed is the overall size of the muscle.
All bodybuilders used variations of pressing over the years.
It does t change the shape, but certain variations will save your shoulders.

Well, I've done DB incline bench yesterday and I had to use a fair bit lower weight than usual. Also today I'm feeling some serious DOMS in my upper pecs, not so much in my lower part. I will add this into my current routine.

Unless you're a competing power lifter it's safe to say that you could drop flat bench press altogether from your workout routine.

Flat
Incline
Flys
is the order of of my chest w/out, I mix up it sometimes but usualy in that order.

The idea is:
Heavy first
target pump next
Stretch and finish last.

Different angles will recruit slightly more fibers resulting in slightly more growth, apperently. :confused:

There is evidence to show that there is marginal emphasis.

The bench press and its variations are not good pec builders, the DB fly however is.

If you look at pictures of Arnold from when he was young and compare them with much later pics you will see the only thing that's changed is the overall size of the muscle.
All bodybuilders used variations of pressing over the years.
It does t change the shape, but certain variations will save your shoulders.

This makes sense. I used to always have issues when I would flat BB bench. For the entire year, I've dropped barbells and gone to incline DB, flat DB, dips and the odd fly. No issues with the shoulders. Although I did do some full ROM DB flyes the other week and I did feel a bit of a stretch in the front delt for a day or 2.

So is the upshot that you pick the press that you can safely progress over time without effecting your shoulders, and make sure you do DB flyes?

This makes sense. I used to always have issues when I would flat BB bench. For the entire year, I've dropped barbells and gone to incline DB, flat DB, dips and the odd fly. No issues with the shoulders. Although I did do some full ROM DB flyes the other week and I did feel a bit of a stretch in the front delt for a day or 2.

So is the upshot that you pick the press that you can safely progress over time without effecting your shoulders, and make sure you do DB flyes?

I believe it's safe to say, not to over stretch in any press movement, inline and slightly back of the torso, is best.

With the flyes, play around with angles at the elbow, so that it creates a moment arm that doesn't create extreme differences in resistance throughout the ROM.

Once you've nailed that, then you can start making progression safely.

As with all exercises, try to maintain constant tension, if you do you'll need less.